SPOILERS: Star Wars' ANDOR

jeangreyforever

Yes baby yoda is definitely the catalyst for that show. If baby yoda wasn't a hit, the show would have probably ended up a big miss. Heck, you could make the argument that without Vader, Rogue one wouldn't have landed as well as it did. That final Vader scene is one of the best in all of star wars.

I get that, especially for people who aren't huge fans of the clone wars/rebels stuff. Ashoka is extremely popular, I'm not a huge fan, but she's one of the most loved characters. So it makes sense since we really never got her stories conclusion.

While I don't think that star wars needs the Skywalkers. And I have been at the forefront of knights of the old republic being the next thing. That way you only need to follow the basic rules of the universe. And you then aren't burdened with legacy characters. That said, Luke is the only logical one to end up with baby yoda. He's the only true Jedi left and the one rebuilding the order.
I just rewatched the Gremlins movies and it dawned on me how similar Baby Yoda's design was to Gizmo. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a heavy inspiration for Baby Yoda's character. I think Rogue One had a two-hit punch of Darth Vader's scene plus all the main characters being killed off. General audiences weren't expecting anything that brutal.

I'm not an Ahsoka fan either and S2 was heavily hyped as introducing her, not to mention some of the other Clone Wars characters who appeared. Her entire episode seemed like a pilot for her own spin-off series which sure enough was confirmed. Similarly enough, Boba Fett was brought back in this season (after the hint to him in S1) for the purpose of launching his own series, so it seemed every episode functioned to spin off a new show which grew tiresome. It reminds me of the Marvel movies and shows where you can't go a movie or episode without introducing a new character who gets confirmed as getting their own project.

I would also like to see the Knights of the Old Republic as well. I think that's what the Game of Thrones creators were working on before they were fired or maybe their project was the origin of the Jedi, I can't remember exactly. I know the books have focused on the era of the High Republic, 300 years before the events of The Phantom Menace, but that doesn't seem to have been much of a success outside of a niche market. And while you're right that Luke made sense to end up with Baby Yoda, that entire finale scene with him seemed cynically crafted to copy the success of Vader's scene in Rogue One.

erasure fan1

I know the books have focused on the era of the High Republic, 300 years before the events of The Phantom Menace, but that doesn't seem to have been much of a success outside of a niche market.
The high republic is terribly uninteresting to me. And you still have the issue of worrying about legacy characters as Yoda would be coming into his prime right about then. It's funny that it hasn't been completely abandoned by Disney yet as I see almost no buzz or interest in it.

jeangreyforever

The high republic is terribly uninteresting to me. And you still have the issue of worrying about legacy characters as Yoda would be coming into his prime right about then. It's funny that it hasn't been completely abandoned by Disney yet as I see almost no buzz or interest in it.
Yoda is the character who came to mind for me as well. I'm assuming it must sell well enough amongst children and pre-teens which is why Disney still keeps publishing in this era. It always felt like the target audience was more for a younger crowd, even though they had some teen and adult books as well. If I'm correct, there haven't been any announced Disney+ shows set in this era either.

flyerjab

Andor was fantastic. I was hanging on every episode and could not wait for the next one. The story, character arcs/development, sets, cinematography, acting, special effects were all superb; that being said, the dialogue is what did it for me. The dialogue on this show was better than any other Star Wars movie, series, etc. and it pretty much culminated in Luthen’s monologue reply to Lonni Jung. That might be one of the best written responses I have witnessed on film in some time. I rewatched that scene countless times. It proved to me that a great Star Wars show can be more than just action. This show was about the ordinary people that rose up against tyranny, that did not have the aid of the Force or lightsabers to help them. It had the grit and the grunge of Lucas’s original trilogy, but with dialogue and acting that exceeded anything I ever expected from a Star Wars show.

I found that what I really want is new, original content from Star Wars. Meaning, the empire and the rebels and the force are all fine. I just want shows with new characters, new places, and new challenges - coupled with the type of writing and dialogue I got from Andor. I think that’s why I loved Rogue One so much. So many new characters and great writing/directing. Tony Gilroy should win something for this series because it truly was that great.

Phroobar

Now that I have rewatch Andor (with some fast forwarding. Most involving Mon Mothma), it isn't as bad as first viewing. I know where it is going now and can appreciate it for what it is. I was expecting it to link with Rogue One faster but that isn't the case. However, I think each three story arch could have been compressed into two longer episodes. If you take the titles and closing credits out, they really only get to half hour or less each. Taking everything that is on D+ right now, Andor is the best show. Granted that isn't saying much.

erasure fan1

Now that I have rewatch Andor (with some fast forwarding. Most involving Mon Mothma), it isn't as bad as first viewing. I know where it is going now and can appreciate it for what it is. I was expecting it to link with Rogue One faster but that isn't the case. However, I think each three story arch could have been compressed into two longer episodes. If you take the titles and closing credits out, they really only get to half hour or less each. Taking everything that is on D+ right now, Andor is the best show. Granted that isn't saying much.
Yes, it would have very much benefited the show to just release it the way it was shot. Four longer episodes instead of 12 short ones. The show is definitely better as a binge show. Or at least binging 3 or 4 episodes at a time.

Wendy Pleakley

The trouble with doing it as four longer episodes is some people would think of it as four mini-movies and expect even more in terms of action.

Might not have gone over as well.

Phroobar

The trouble with doing it as four longer episodes is some people would think of it as four mini-movies and expect even more in terms of action.

That is essentially what it is. Andor walks around, gets in trouble, gets out of trouble, walks around. The results of his actions make people start to rebel.

erasure fan1

Maybe. But you can tell that's how it was shot so I think that might have helped the flow a bit. The show, outside of episode structure, has the highest production value of anything on D+ in my opinion. There's always room for some improvement.

Prince-1

You're right, nothing Disney does could ever be improved. Silly me.

Oh, I didn't say Andor couldn't be improved but it most certainly wouldn't be helped with what you suggested. It helps to understand what someone is saying before you respond to it. Reading comprehension is your friend. ;)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom