SPOILERS: Live Action Rescue Rangers

Magenta Panther

Here's a review that's not so upbeat:

First paragraph:

Disney’s new feature-length, hybrid live-action / animated Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers movie from director Akiva Schaffer is the perfect example of everything that’s wonderful and terrible about Hollywood’s current era of reboots. In its frantic attempt at lighting up the warm, fuzzy nostalgia centers of your brain, Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers forgets that callbacks to the good old days really aren’t enough to make these sorts of big-screen reimaginings work. But what makes the movie such an odd experience to sit through is how much of its sense of humor feels like Disney trying to poke fun at itself in ways that don’t exactly work.

In other words: Greetings, fellow kids! :depressed:

From Den of Geek: https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-review/

Rescue Rangers is not a bad movie if you want to play an hour and a half version of “spot the thing you know.” If so there’s more than enough of that to keep you entertained. Original Rescue Rangers fans especially should also be pleased with the way the film cleverly plays with the TV show. Outside of that the film doesn’t have much to offer. It gives you more Easter eggs and references than any viewer could have imagined but it also proves they alone don’t make a great movie.

Other reviews indicate that the producers of this barf-fest threw everything but the kitchen sink into it. Including:

SPOILERS

...the original horrifying Sonic the Hedgehog design (“The internet saw my human teeth and burned the place down,” he laments.), Muppets being forced to fight each other, deformed versions of Mickey Mouse, Garfield and Bart Simpson, Robert Crumb's Mr. Natural, and MC Skat Cat, among others. And there are puns galore, like "Legos Miserables" (cringe).

As for Peter Pan being the bad guy, it's a guess as to whether the villain is actually the "real" Peter Pan. Hollywood Reporter says this: Sweet Pete has good reasons for having gone over to the dark side, being the victim of botched CGI surgery that has made him resemble a middle-aged, overweight Peter Pan.

I'm not sure if any of Iger's acquisitions (Star Wars, Marvel) were subjected to this garbage take - only the classic Disney characters are, probably because Iger hates them anyway.

Whatever, I'm not watching this mess. If this is the closest thing we'll ever get to a Roger Rabbit follow-up, it's damn sad. Enjoy!

Slpy3270

He-Man and Skeletor from the Filmation cartoon make an appearance, with Alan Oppenheimer even reprising the latter role.

Since they're in the Filmation style, Disney had to go through Mattel and DreamWorks/Universal (who owns the Filmation series) to have them appear.

Vegas Disney Fan

I found it interesting but I’m not sure I actually liked it, tons of cameos, a couple good laughs, but the voices just threw the whole thing off.

I wonder why they decided to make the chipmunks voices so different and deep.

Rescue Ranger

I'm more of a traditionalist. A Disney purist. So as someone who loves and grew up with Rescue Rangers, this was one and done for me. Wouldn't watch it again. I'll stick with the classic stuff....pretend I didn't watch this. So I guess I should be pleased this really wasn't a Rescue Rangers movie at all then?

It had its moments, especially with its cameos. Some of that was fun but that was it for me. Rest fell flat or tasteless. Even cynical. Had it not been a 'Rescue Rangers' movie and just some new movie with original new starring characters poking fun at nostalgia & popculture, I think it would have had more potential. For me. The voice acting changes also ruined it.

Still hope Disney+ does a Rescue Rangers continuation of the original show like we'll be getting with Xmen. Even if it's just one season.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
80% certified fresh on RT is not the narrative I expected after the reaction the past two months on here. Congrats to the filmmakers!
80% is the basic thumbs up / thumbs down ratio. So, the reviewers are basically saying you don't have to steer away from it.

As for their actual ratings (normalized for a score of 100 and combined with Metacritic), they rate it at 68%, which is fair. Audience rating is higher at 73%, which is ok-good. It certainly has done better than most Disney Studio live action movies, but then again, the Disney Studio Movies that aren't complete bombs are the ones based on previous Disney IP media, which Chip 'n' Dale most certainly is.

1653151763288.png

Compared to the past decade:

1653151885087.png

1653152007071.png

1653152069761.png

Note that WDPictures will not be putting out a theatrical release at all in 2022. It all goes to D+.

Given the track record of the studios it makes sense.

Given the track record of the studios, a lot of people need to be fired and certain directors and producers blacklisted and the entire studios re-formed from the bottom up.

CJR

We all liked it, especially the cameos. I didn't know much about it beforehand so Roger Rabbit was a pleasant surprise.

It paid respect to the original, but was very different from the source material. It was a movie about the show, more than a continuation of the old show.

I was surprised they opted to not have the classic chipmunk voices. However, given the talent behind the voices in this particular movie, it made sense to me. It was more geared towards fans of Andy Samberg and John Mulaney than Chip and Dale themselves.

It was far better than any of the other original movies they've made for Disney+, but still not up to par with theatrical releases. Closer than the others, but still not there. I know some would question why they'd put theatrical quality films onto a streaming service, but other services have done it. Heck, Disney dumped Turning Red onto the service back in March. Streaming services shouldn't be a dumping ground for B-entertainment, IMHO.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It was far better than any of the other original movies they've made for Disney+, but still not up to par with theatrical releases. Closer than the others, but still not there. I know some would question why they'd put theatrical quality films onto a streaming service, but other services have done it. Heck, Disney dumped Turning Red onto the service back in March. Streaming services shouldn't be a dumping ground for B-entertainment, IMHO.
Increasing subs is number one priority for the entirety of the corporation. So, theatrical quality movies, like Turning Red get dumped there.

As well as all their cheap and middling fare that used to be dumped on The Disney Channel are being dumped onto D+ as pablum for younger viewers. Disney still thinks they can strike it rich with a surprisingly well-received Potteresque response by keep on rolling the production assembly line dice and getting lucky. I'm sure someone in WDP thinks "they're due!!"

They certainly thought that with Artemis Fowl.

Mouse3268

I thought it was pretty good, wished they would have done a theatrical release. Laughed a lot and loved all the cameos. Felt like love letter to the 80's/90's tv animation I grew up on, while also a satirical critique to the trends in animation since.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
80% is the basic thumbs up / thumbs down ratio. So, the reviewers are basically saying you don't have to steer away from it.

As for their actual ratings (normalized for a score of 100 and combined with Metacritic), they rate it at 68%, which is fair. Audience rating is higher at 73%, which is ok-good. It certainly has done better than most Disney Studio live action movies, but then again, the Disney Studio Movies that aren't complete bombs are the ones based on previous Disney IP media, which Chip 'n' Dale most certainly is.

View attachment 640072

View attachment 640079
View attachment 640085

View attachment 640086

Note that WDPictures will not be putting out a theatrical release at all in 2022. It all goes to D+.

Given the track record of the studios, a lot of people need to be fired and certain directors and producers blacklisted and the entire studios re-formed from the bottom up.
I honestly didn't think Artemis was that bad....

Anyways I rather liked this. Will need another viewing or two to catch everything, but it was a sort of love letter nostalgia explosion to the late 80s/early 90s.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

View attachment 640072

View attachment 640079
View attachment 640085

View attachment 640086

…you’re exciting me with those charts 🤗

CaptainAmerica

View attachment 640072

View attachment 640079
View attachment 640085

View attachment 640086

Sneakerella and Black is King...

Give me a break.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom