Splitsville bowling moving into Downtown Disney West Side

ToTBellHop

Are you talkin' NYC or the Capital District? Big difference.

Here in CT, it's a lot more than $6/game. It cost my wife and I $30 to play one game with shoe rentals...we don't go bowling very often for that reason. $6 at Disney would be a bargain.

Lee

Adventurer
Splitsville. Good. Glad they finally got that one over the hump.

"Over on Pleasure Island, we’ve completed removing some of the buildings that aren’t part of our future plans. During the course of this site work, we identified opportunities to further refine our master plan and are pausing to evaluate them. What does this mean for you? While we’re moving quickly, it will admittedly cause a delay in construction. But we’re willing to bet that any delay will be worth the wait once we’re able to share details about the exciting work we’ve been doing. "
aka - We still have no idea what we are doing
I totally agree. Spin..spin..:hurl:
How are those incompetents still employed?

As for the "Parks Blog" in general...am I the only one who, with the exception of the occasional piece of new art, finds the whole thing completely worthless? It's basically a PR site that fans can look at.:rolleyes:

They do know what they are doing, just not ready to announce yet. And as Tom says in that post, it will be worth the delay. Things are moving for the better.
I've neither seen nor heard anything that would make me even remotely believe that.:lol:

I agree with you, they are probably regretting ever closing down Pleasure Island.
I hope someone can't sleep at night over that debacle.

If its not Adventurer's Club - its not better.
Truer words have never been spoken.

misterID

I think this is cool. I used to like the rollerskating rink at PI when I was a kid. Watching people wipe out was hilarious.

Yes, the WWoS alley was going to be targeted at PBA tournaments and such, not much of a recreational place. Splitsville sounds like a very strong addition to me. Just doing a basic scale comparison with a 50-lane place where I used to live with the Virgin building, it looks like they would have space for roughly 32 lanes if they just went wall to wall along one side of the store. And another thing to consider is that the physical lanes plus the equipment area behind them would take up roughly 1/4-1/3 of the floor space on either level. I would guess that because of that (in addition to other reasons given), there won't be two levels of lanes, unless a second set of lanes is incorporated into the other features, which may actually be entirely possible depending on how they approach it.

I was waiting for someone to make mention of the PBA and the WWoS complex.

As a bowler, it makes me quite sad to hear that the WWoS project has been canceled. Originally, the WWoS Bowling Stadium was supposed to be on par with the National Bowling Stadium in Reno, Nevada, only far more modernized, and of course with the Disney touch.

From my understanding as a bowler who does participate in the USBC Nationals, this stadium was intended to act as one of the primary hosting locations for the National Bowling Tournament (a multi-month tournament that draws people from all over the world to participate.). It usually rotates from city to city, being hosted in Reno, NV this year, and Baton Rouge, LA next year. I believe that the WWoS complex was supposed to host the 2013 tournament, but that is now scheduled to be in Reno, Nevada, again.

I think I'm most disappointed in the cancellation because it means I don't have a default excuse to take a WDW vacation every 3 years for the Tournament.

With regards to the Splitsville bowling alley, I think it sounds like a cool idea, that will probably get both locals and vacationing families visiting. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to get Disney Character designs on the bowling balls - they sell them in most pro shops, and it could be a cute touch for a WDW location.

disnyfan89

Just to clarify, the bowling alley that was proposed for WWoS was never intended to be open to the public. It was going to be strictly for tournament or special professional bowling events. The reason why it was canceled was because Disney could not find enough professional bowling tournaments interested to make a quick return on investments.

On another random side note, I checked out the Splitsville website and now have been listening to their music mix for the past half hour. :lol:

Ignohippo

I think the place will be so popular that if even a small percentage decide to bowl the lanes will be filled most of the day and reservations will be necessary in the evenings. I also would not be suprised if they see they need to build another somewhere else on property. This is great "counter-programming" to d&b's, whereas DQ can be more direct competition. I just wonder if Disney may not be planning other uses for the building and converting the Westend into a more adult oriented area. Just my opinion, but if the turn it into another PI without gates, I am certain they will encounter the same old problems. Splitsville is perfect because it can serve families during the day and then become more adult oriented in the evenings when younger families have left. That is a model that can work. Recreating PI would alienate guests and drive away as many people from DTD as it draws. Just adding a bit of truth to the mix and elevating above the predictable spin.

You're actually right on all accounts JT. That was what I was saying. The lanes will most definitely be fully-booked at night but they aren't planning on the bowling being their main source of income. This will be much more of a lounge that includes bowling. The only way I could see that being different is if they have lanes in the basement and 1st floor and then the lounge on the 2nd floor.

I hadn't thought about it, but yes, you can see that they're moving more adult offerings to the West Side, which is a brilliant plan. Harley and Splitsville in and Little Miss and Ridemakerz out confirms this. it really is a great plan. If they could add just one dance club or piano bar to the area, it would really make the area complete and would be a huge upgrade over PI.

It's bizarre how suddenly the whole plan makes perfect sense. I'm on board!

I would also agree that any new adult-oriented options should cater to an all-ages crowd during the day, which is a main reason why PI failed. It also leaves me puzzled as to why The Adventurer's Club wouldn't come back. Not to get off topic, but to have it larger and be a restaurant but become 21+ at night would seem to be perfect for the new DTD.

apatten22

Glad to see something new and exciting being added to the Disney complex. This will be a great addition to the Downtown Disney area. If you haven't already checked out the website for Splitsville, you should see the current locations. The themes will fit perfectly!!

www.splitsvillelanes.com

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
A good addition -- quite perfect actually. Family-friendly, particularly during the day, but profit-friendly as well, as I'm sure alcohol will be a big part, particularly at night. Give me a decent sports bar as well, and I'll be satsified with the West Side, which I have not been in a long, long, time.

"Over on Pleasure Island, we’ve completed removing some of the buildings that aren’t part of our future plans. During the course of this site work, we identified opportunities to further refine our master plan and are pausing to evaluate them. What does this mean for you? While we’re moving quickly, it will admittedly cause a delay in construction. But we’re willing to bet that any delay will be worth the wait once we’re able to share details about the exciting work we’ve been doing. "

aka - We still have no idea what we are doing

They do know what they are doing, just not ready to announce yet. And as Tom says in that post, it will be worth the delay. Things are moving for the better.

I shall attempt to look on the bright side, then, Steve.

StageFrenzy

I am of two minds when it comes to Splitsville, on one hand I'm glad something new is coming on the other side my response is a resounding meh. Locally splitsville is a very nice but expensive place to bowl, with expensive drinks and food. In that respect it should fit right in DTD, but I really hope they make it more than just another Splitsville.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As for the "Parks Blog" in general...am I the only one who, with the exception of the occasional piece of new art, finds the whole thing completely worthless? It's basically a PR site that fans can look at.:rolleyes:

It is a PR site, but it does serve as a way for Disney to dispense little tidbits of news, pics, and new art that would never merit a press release on their own. I think that because of the Parks Blog, we now hear about those things from an official source (which usually means a little better information and a little more detail) earlier than we otherwise would. I like it.

flavious27

I am of two minds when it comes to Splitsville, on one hand I'm glad something new is coming on the other side my response is a resounding meh. Locally splitsville is a very nice but expensive place to bowl, with expensive drinks and food. In that respect it should fit right in DTD, but I really hope they make it more than just another Splitsville.

I am sure that they will put some kind of spin to it, but hopefully not too much disney touches added to it.

The building that needs to be redone in DTD, and should have been the focus of tdo's interest is DQ. Unless tdo wants the place to appeal to hipsters in 7 years when all of the rides seem retro, it is just sad the state of the place.

jt04

You're actually right on all accounts JT. That was what I was saying. The lanes will most definitely be fully-booked at night but they aren't planning on the bowling being their main source of income. This will be much more of a lounge that includes bowling. The only way I could see that being different is if they have lanes in the basement and 1st floor and then the lounge on the 2nd floor.

I hadn't thought about it, but yes, you can see that they're moving more adult offerings to the West Side, which is a brilliant plan. Harley and Splitsville in and Little Miss and Ridemakerz out confirms this. it really is a great plan. If they could add just one dance club or piano bar to the area, it would really make the area complete and would be a huge upgrade over PI.

It's bizarre how suddenly the whole plan makes perfect sense. I'm on board!

I would also agree that any new adult-oriented options should cater to an all-ages crowd during the day, which is a main reason why PI failed. It also leaves me puzzled as to why The Adventurer's Club wouldn't come back. Not to get off topic, but to have it larger and be a restaurant but become 21+ at night would seem to be perfect for the new DTD.

It might be wishful thinking but I think they may have bigger and better plans for the AC concept.

I got hit with the same realization after viewing Splitsville's web site that they seem to be making the WestSide the more adult oriented area. It does make sense and it will be very interesting to see what that means for DQ and also the former PI area. There is no reason they can't have smaller clubs that have dancing but I still think a full fledged dance venue in the manner of Mannequins would prove a mistake. Splitsville and Paridiso seem to reflect the direction they are going. A Piano Bar or Jazz club in a similar style could do very well. I love the idea of a dress code. Who knew a bowling venue could be so trend setting? :lol:

HoB should be thanking their lucky stars for such a choice location and that they did not leave due to all the doom and gloom. They really are in a great position as is Bongos IMO. DTD really is starting to mesh and be what it was meant to be.

CJR

I can see this being very successful with guests. While it might be a little overpriced, not much on Disney property (or in Orlando) isn't. It's a good fit and will fill a major need at DTD. Finally a great addition! :sohappy:

djkidkaz

It is a PR site, but it does serve as a way for Disney to dispense little tidbits of news, pics, and new art that would never merit a press release on their own. I think that because of the Parks Blog, we now hear about those things from an official source (which usually means a little better information and a little more detail) earlier than we otherwise would. I like it.

I agree with you.

talltoon

I keep hearing of the cancellation of the WWoS project. I work many trade shows and conventions and get to talk to Disney management often, they keep telling me the project was not canceled. The financial debacle and halt of money lending of the last few years is what stalled it. My son is a competitive bowler based in Orlando and I would love to see the USBC headquartered here one day.

I was waiting for someone to make mention of the PBA and the WWoS complex.

As a bowler, it makes me quite sad to hear that the WWoS project has been canceled. Originally, the WWoS Bowling Stadium was supposed to be on par with the National Bowling Stadium in Reno, Nevada, only far more modernized, and of course with the Disney touch.

From my understanding as a bowler who does participate in the USBC Nationals, this stadium was intended to act as one of the primary hosting locations for the National Bowling Tournament (a multi-month tournament that draws people from all over the world to participate.). It usually rotates from city to city, being hosted in Reno, NV this year, and Baton Rouge, LA next year. I believe that the WWoS complex was supposed to host the 2013 tournament, but that is now scheduled to be in Reno, Nevada, again.

I think I'm most disappointed in the cancellation because it means I don't have a default excuse to take a WDW vacation every 3 years for the Tournament.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom