Splitsville bowling moving into Downtown Disney West Side

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Remembering how big the Virgin store was, how many lanes do you think will actually be put there, or could be put there?

I'm assuming they'll want to make it a bigger than normal bowling alley.

It's a good question. It all depends on what they do with the rest of the space, and how they configure the 2 levels. I am guessing at a minimum of 12 lanes. Hopefully we'll learn a few more details soon.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Remembering how big the Virgin store was, how many lanes do you think will actually be put there, or could be put there?

I'm assuming they'll want to make it a bigger than normal bowling alley.
I did a quick search and found specifications for several 24 lane bowling alleys that came in around 22,000 square feet including restaurant, arcade, pro shop etc. The Virgin Megastore comes in around 50,000 square feet.

majortom1981

hmm

This is a good fit. While here on long island we dont have this chain we have a chain just like it called 300. Same concept. This will fit in perfectly with downtown disney.I just hope they have enough lanes.

300 here at certain times has a long wait and they have like 30 -40 lanes to rent.

WDWmazprty

I did a quick search and found specifications for several 24 lane bowling alleys that came in around 22,000 square feet including restaurant, arcade, pro shop etc. The Virgin Megastore comes in around 50,000 square feet.

Wow! Then there is a lot of potential there. How awesome would it be to have an enormous bowling facility with double the lanes than usual, full restaurant, game room, etc.!

devoy1701

I assume it's "regular" bowling and not candlestick? I've never heard of it before but it looks nice. And to those of you that pay upwards of $6 a game......damn!!! In NY, even the expensive places are only $4.00-$4.50.

I have a hard time getting over that too. A regularly bowling alley around here...and actually we have a new place called "The Alley" which is not so regular at all...costs about $2 per game.

WDWmazprty

I have a hard time getting over that too. A regularly bowling alley around here...and actually we have a new place called "The Alley" which is not so regular at all...costs about $2 per game.

Maybe they'll add the bowling experience in with the Water park ticket? Or something similar, much like DisneyQuest? :shrug:

devoy1701

This is a good fit. While here on long island we dont have this chain we have a chain just like it called 300. Same concept. This will fit in perfectly with downtown disney.I just hope they have enough lanes.

300 here at certain times has a long wait and they have like 30 -40 lanes to rent.

hey! I've actually been to 300 just off the LIE!

Kamikaze

They do know what they are doing, just not ready to announce yet. And as Tom says in that post, it will be worth the delay. Things are moving for the better.

If its not Adventurer's Club - its not better.

Although, on topic, I bet this bowling alley+++ will do some great business, and I definitely will give it a visit or three.

It's a good question. It all depends on what they do with the rest of the space, and how they configure the 2 levels. I am guessing at a minimum of 12 lanes. Hopefully we'll learn a few more details soon.

12 would be nowhere near enough. They need 30+ at least.

dreamfinder

Are the upper floors strong enough to support bowling lanes? I don't remember much about the Virgin store upper levels, but my understanding is that those solid wood lanes are usually pretty darn heavy. Or would just the main floor be bowling with the other stuff on the upper floors?

Kamikaze

Are the upper floors strong enough to support bowling lanes? I don't remember much about the Virgin store upper levels, but my understanding is that those solid wood lanes are usually pretty darn heavy. Or would just the main floor be bowling with the other stuff on the upper floors?

The second floor of Virgin was a mostly open area. No way they could put lanes up there without massive remodeling.
I would guess lanes on the first floor and the arcade and restaurant upstairs.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Wow! Then there is a lot of potential there. How awesome would it be to have an enormous bowling facility with double the lanes than usual, full restaurant, game room, etc.!
That is what peaked my interest. The available space. How about some bowling lanes on a second floor with clear lanes so you could see through to that level.

As long as they have something in there representing Ernie McCracken, Im sold.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Lucky Strike has 20+ lanes, and it is not enough. I think the main issue with these places is, they are more then bowling alleys. What I mean by that is, they use a ton of available space for things besides lanes. And not everyone who comes will be using those other spaces, but everyone will want to bowl. This creates a pretty significant imbalance. With enough lanes though, it can be balanced better, and really be a great addition.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Lucky Strike has 20+ lanes, and it is not enough. I think the main issue with these places is, they are more then bowling alleys. What I mean by that is, they use a ton of available space for things besides lanes. And not everyone who comes will be using those other spaces, but everyone will want to bowl. This creates a pretty significant imbalance. With enough lanes though, it can be balanced better, and really be a great addition.

Yeah I agree. It is all going to depend on how they want to use the space. I think they want to be more than just bowling. A big question in terms of what capacity they can create has to be how they use that second level.

devoy1701

Yeah I agree. It is all going to depend on how they want to use the space. I think they want to be more than just bowling. A big question in terms of what capacity they can create has to be how they use that second level.

the other thing to note about Splitsville is it isn't set up like most bowling alleys... the lanes are set up in groups of 4 or 5 and they are "isolated" if you will from the next set of lanes. This allows a more intimate atmosphere for your and your party...so while the space is huge, the ratio is more like 3 Splitsville Lanes for every 4 regular bowling alley lanes in the same amount of space. Our Splitsville also have lanes jutting off in different angles to make the area more interesting. I've only been to ours though so it might be a setup that is unique to Tampa.

I imagine the upstairs would be used more for the lounge/bar/dining room/billiards.

acr123

WOW this is awesome! Night life is coming back to the island! I hope they will make a dance floor and sweet light show a priority when developing the layout!!

thelookingglass

This is as good a replacement as any. Granted, bowling alleys aren't that special, but this gives another thing to do besides shop at DTD, and it looks like the place will have enough spiffy theming to make it a worthy fit. Also, I hope they will have laser bowling or cosmic bowling or whatever you call it.

DTD needs more entertainment venues like this, not more restaurants.

WDWmazprty

the other thing to note about Splitsville is it isn't set up like most bowling alleys... the lanes are set up in groups of 4 or 5 and they are "isolated" if you will from the next set of lanes. This allows a more intimate atmosphere for your and your party...so while the space is huge, the ratio is more like 3 Splitsville Lanes for every 4 regular bowling alley lanes in the same amount of space. Our Splitsville also have lanes jutting off in different angles to make the area more interesting. I've only been to ours though so it might be a setup that is unique to Tampa.

I imagine the upstairs would be used more for the lounge/bar/dining room/billiards.

WOW this is awesome! Night life is coming back to the island! I hope they will make a dance floor and sweet light show a priority when developing the layout!!

Yeah, it definitely depends on HOW the lanes are setup; I know they really need to make it unique and different than anything else around there. Also, like I said before, a roller skating rink would definitely be different and I think attract a lot of people as well; of course question is where could it go?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom