Splash Mountain's Drop Without Water

ryno1982

I'm appalled. TDO never ceases to surprise me.

To shut down the ride just because the waterfall isn't working seems pretty foolish. Think of it this way, no matter what it's not going to work. If they close the ride, it won't be on and guests will have their dreams of riding Splash crushed. Two losses there. But if they can still run the ride and still make some people happy while waiting for repairs, I think that's the better choice.

I can understand why some of you don't like this, but the fact is that machines break. It's only when they don't get fixed for months and months that we should start blaming TDO. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

the-reason14

To shut down the ride just because the waterfall isn't working seems pretty foolish. Think of it this way, no matter what it's not going to work. If they close the ride, it won't be on and guests will have their dreams of riding Splash crushed. Two losses there. But if they can still run the ride and still make some people happy while waiting for repairs, I think that's the better choice.

I can understand why some of you don't like this, but the fact is that machines break. It's only when they don't get fixed for months and months that we should start blaming TDO. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

I somewhat agree. However, I think why this is "horrible" to some, has to do with other things going downhill as well. Having so many rides with missing effects and Disney seemingly not giving a damn about it isn't a good look. So basically if it was just splash mt. with this missing effect and not the yeti etc. It probably wouldn't be a huge deal to people like it is now.

GymLeaderPhil

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts: Show quality standards.

Team Disney Orlando: Show quality suggestions.

Ten bucks they're going to wait until the start of the fiscal year to attempt fixing anything.

Captain Hank

I guess I take a slightly different point of view. Believe me, I'm a huge proponent of show quality standards. But, put yourself in the shoes of a Magic Kingdom Ops manager. Would you really like to deal with a huge onslaught of Guest complaints because the park's major water ride is closed in 90+ degree weather (over 100 degree heat index) because of a show element that doesn't directly affect the operation of the attraction? :shrug:

Anyway, from what I've heard, the waterfall was back operating today.

JML42691

To some extent yes, but Disney has always operated as if it were a show, hence employees being called "Cast Members" rather than some other title. What happened to "Safety, courtesy, show and efficiency. Show trumped efficiency."

Tom

Beta Return
It's a broken pump. That's it. A broken pump. Pumps are motors. Motors break. And usually, you don't know it's going to break until it just STOPS at some point, like the one in my furnace did a month ago when it was 90 outside. One minute it was blowing air, the next minute it wasn't.

So, there's no water cascading down the final drop. Big deal! That water has nothing to do with the functionality of the ride - it just makes it look better. The logs don't even touch the water on the way down - only when they get to the bottom, where there is still a splash.

There is no reason to shut down a major attraction because there's no special-effect water on the drop. That's absolutely insane to even consider. The only people who benefit from the "waterfall" are the spectators. If you shut the ride down, the people on the bridge are still going to see a hill with no water....but also without logs.

They probably don't have "extra" industrial sizes pumps just laying around backstage. If this is going to require a shutdown of the ride in order to fix it, I don't blame them for waiting until the busy season is over (in a few weeks).

Sheesh. Not every failure is because TDO is so evil, and not every delay in repair is because they refuse to spend the money. Keeping Splash Mountain open during early August is a COURTESY to the guests, which is #2 after safety.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
I guess I take a slightly different point of view. Believe me, I'm a huge proponent of show quality standards. But, put yourself in the shoes of a Magic Kingdom Ops manager. Would you really like to deal with a huge onslaught of Guest complaints because the park's major water ride is closed in 90+ degree weather (over 100 degree heat index) because of a show element that doesn't directly affect the operation of the attraction? :shrug:

Anyway, from what I've heard, the waterfall was back operating today.

It was indeed.

CaptainWinter

Would you really like to deal with a huge onslaught of Guest complaints because the park's major water ride is closed in 90+ degree weather (over 100 degree heat index) because of a show element that doesn't directly affect the operation of the attraction? :shrug:

No. No I would not. Splashing the guests probably helps people stay well. It gets pretty durned hot at the MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom