News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Brer Oswald

I, and many others, have explained it in one of the threads that ended up over in the politics forum.

There's not too much info other than what I believe I've shared before (maybe I didn't; I'm unsure). Expect some rides to get some mild to moderate modifications to remove inherently problematic elements or add slightly more inclusive elements. I doubt we will see any other major wholesale changes along the lines of Splash (potential HoP redo excepted, but even then I think it is less likely to happen).
I have also explained it in the other thread. I’ve also explained the problem with their current course of action.

It’s very dangerous and disingenuous for people with extensive knowledge on the topic, like you (presumably) or I, to pretend like the matter is so black and white. It’s what perpetuates the misinformation among the people that don’t care to do the research.

JohnD

Here's the quote - these comments were made at the virtual IAAPA expo this morning.

“Guest facing changes, like the reimagining of “Splash Mountain,” have been expedited to ensure that all who visit the company’s parks do feel welcome as well.”

That's the money quote. Any further analysis of it requires discussing in the politics forum.

tirian

The truly sad part is how Disney itself keeps making this political. Today’s “inclusion” announcement further fans the flames because the ham-fisted PR statement implies Splash Mt. and other attractions didn’t already welcome everyone — and by extension, fans are morally wrong to love these attractions.

Until there’s actually a solid plan to discuss, @wdwmagic might have to close this thread, because the company itself is making it impossible to discuss the ride without bringing up political angles.

JohnD

What was cringe worthy on Splash Mountain?

The short version is that it's derived from the racially insensitive movie Song of the South. Therefore per D'Amaro a re-theme would "ensure that all who visit the company’s parks do feel welcome as well." i.e. Splash Mountain makes some feel "unwelcome." I'll just leave it there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just talked to one of my cm friends who works currently at Splash.

After reading the comment he said he felt like they are being portrayed as bad people for even being involved with the ride.

I cannot believe how poor Disney has been recently with their PR. Continual tone-deaf on meatballs. Absolute insanity.
Wait. What specific comment made this CM feel like they are being portrayed as bad people?

Animaniac93-98

The truly sad part is how Disney itself keeps making this political. Today’s “inclusion” announcement further fans the flames because the ham-fisted PR statement implies Splash Mt. and other attractions didn’t already welcome everyone — and by extension, fans are morally wrong to love these attractions.

And the employees who worked the attraction were complicit in perpetuating racism and not being inclusive.

They're gaslighting their own guests, Imagineers and CMs.

lightningtap347

Wait. What specific comment made this CM feel like they are being portrayed as bad people?
"...to ensure that all who visit the company’s parks do feel welcome as well."

"Bad" isn't the right word, but he feels like he is now being portrayed as unwelcoming in the park.

This response below is better at describing what he was trying to say.

And the employees who worked the attraction were complicit in perpetuating racism and not being inclusive.

They're gaslighting their own guests, Imagineers and CMs.

Animaniac93-98

Disney in their PR statements could have completely ignored the social/political implications of Splash and simply stated that they think Princess and the Frog is the perfect subject matter for an even better experience.

But they're really leaning in on "inclusive" wording and being as vocal and unambiguous about it as possible. It's certainly...a choice.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Again, I appear to be in the minority who can ride something like Splash Mountain and just be entertained. Those who go finding things to be offended about will find them, which is how we got here. The ride was scrubbed of any of the original SotS "offensive" parts, but that didn't stop the "I'm Offended" crowd from being just that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom