News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

erasure fan1

so my personal vote would be keep the America Sings animals and replace the Song of the South characters with something "gender neutral" and unoffensive.
Good luck with that. If the past few months have shown anything, it's that everything is offensive to someone. Maybe boat ride through generic unassuming forest with no characters, animals or drops might work.

As far as the boys wanting to ride a princess ride. I would be surprised if the word princess appears in the title of the ride. They made that mistake with the movie, Im guessing they won't do it again. It will be something like Tiana and Louis bayou adventure.

JohnD

Good luck with that. If the past few months have shown anything, it's that everything is offensive to someone. Maybe boat ride through generic unassuming forest with no characters, animals or drops might work.

As far as the boys wanting to ride a princess ride. I would be surprised if the word princess appears in the title of the ride. They made that mistake with the movie, Im guessing they won't do it again. It will be something like Tiana and Louis bayou adventure.

Who's to say that the name will change? We just know that the attraction is going to be themed. The name "Splash Mountain" has nothing to do with Song of the South. It's about the final drop in a water boat ride. For all we know, it will be "Splash Mountain 2.0" themed to Princess and the Frog.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Bit of a side tangent: From the post reopen vids I've watched Splash has been looking a little rough, with AAs and lighting out [more than usual]. I hope they dont let classic Splash rot until they pull the SOtS theme. Although Br'er Bears hat falling off made me laugh
IMG_20200723_165022_770.jpg

The Grand Inquisitor

The one thing I noticed that's different between Disney World and Disneyland's Splash Mountain is Disney World's is much slower. It will be nice to be able to take in the new scenery and new AA's.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Who's to say that the name will change? We just know that the attraction is going to be themed. The name "Splash Mountain" has nothing to do with Song of the South. It's about the final drop in a water boat ride. For all we know, it will be "Splash Mountain 2.0" themed to Princess and the Frog.

Or Splash Mountain 0.5, since the probability is high it'll be a downgrade.

tanc

The amount of space that Splash has is a ton to work with. I have a feeling that knowing modern Disney, it will likely now be a bunch of screens because the cost to redo most of the interior of the ride would be astronomical in cost. To me, it's practically a money pit. Tokyo presumably keeping the ride also will make Disney have to meet the same standard as the original Splash Mountain. It's probably better to just give Tiana a dedicated attraction or something.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I have no idea about that. The retheme is inevitable. It was and is a great ride currently. As for the retheme? Who knows?

I'm going off what they've recently done to Disneyland and DCA. My hopes aren't high and Splash was one of my all-time favorites ever so the stakes are incredibly high IMO. Just on a personal level, they've disappointed me with what they've done since 2015-16.

celluloid

I see nothing "problematic" about Liberty. The worst that can be said of HOP is that it's boring. But so is COP. But maybe, just maybe, those attractions have a loftier goal? Just saying.

Exactly, and they are becoming boring due to lack of updates and proper upkeep, which can be changed.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I'm going off what they've recently done to Disneyland and DCA. My hopes aren't high and Splash was one of my all-time favorites ever so the stakes are incredibly high IMO. Just on a personal level, they've disappointed me with what they've done since 2015-16.
I have hope for DL's retheme to end up being decent. World I have no hope for

MerlinTheGoat

What is so superior about WDW Splash Mountain? What are the major differences?
The rockwork and overall environment detail is more elaborate at WDW. It's difficult to explain without just comparing side by side yourself.

The interior scenes are very different environments. DL's ride takes place in a darker swamp-like environment. The ceiling is covered with what appears to be hanging weeping willow foliage. The walls are largely not visible, blacked out and obscured. The ride itself is smaller and more narrow, affecting the general size of the scenes. The interior scenes following the first drop are more grouped together into a single room.

WDW's interior scenes take place on a river traveling along what appears to be the edge of a forest. No longer a swamp, but a bright countryside with farmland, rolling hills and blue skies in the background. A bit more like the animated scenes from the movie. The foliage above is no longer willows, but maple leaves (this difference even applies to the Riverboat finale). The scenes have more depth and detail, particularly in the background. A handful of these scenes use some really beautifully designed physical forced perspective scenery. Layered rolling hills and farmland with scattered trees. The walls are now used as a backdrop for brightly lit murals of blue skies and clouds. These first handful of scenes are more spread out and separated from one another.

splash-mountain-gallery04.jpg

Disneyland has a few more animatronics than WDW, though WDW has a handful of different figures of its own, some with more advanced motion (such as the hopping rabbit). There's more of an emphasis on Brer Rabbit, Fox and Bear and their plot progression. The trio also have vastly better designs, looking more like their animated counterparts from the film.

The music is also a bit different. Mostly the same songs, but played as different genres. DL is more jazzy, whereas WDW's sounds more like country/bluegrass. Disneyland also has an exclusive vocal version of the Burrow's Lament song in the Laughing Place that doesn't exist at WDW (still played instrumentally but not sung).

tanc

The rockwork and overall environment detail is more elaborate at WDW. It's difficult to explain without just comparing side by side yourself.

The interior scenes are very different environments. DL's ride takes place in a darker swamp-like environment. The ceiling is covered with what appears to be hanging weeping willow foliage. The walls are largely not visible, blacked out and obscured. The ride itself is smaller and more narrow, affecting the general size of the scenes. The interior scenes following the first drop are more grouped together into a single room.

WDW's interior scenes take place on a river traveling along what appears to be the edge of a forest. No longer a swamp, but a bright countryside with farmland, rolling hills and blue skies in the background. A bit more like the animated scenes from the movie. The foliage above is no longer willows, but maple leaves (this difference even applies to the Riverboat finale). The scenes have more depth and detail, particularly in the background. A handful of these scenes use some really beautifully designed physical forced perspective scenery. Layered rolling hills and farmland with scattered trees. The walls are now used as a backdrop for brightly lit murals of blue skies and clouds. These first handful of scenes are more spread out and separated from one another.

Disneyland has a few more animatronics than WDW, though WDW has a handful of different figures of its own, some with more advanced motion (such as the hopping rabbit). There's more of an emphasis on Brer Rabbit, Fox and Bear and their plot progression. The trio also have vastly better designs, looking more like their animated counterparts from the film.

The music is also a bit different. Mostly the same songs, but played as different genres. DL is more jazzy, whereas WDW's sounds more like country/bluegrass. Disneyland also has an exclusive vocal version of the Burrow's Lament song in the Laughing Place that doesn't exist at WDW (still played instrumentally but not sung).

I heard the Tokyo version is based on the WDW version too. Tokyo I know has an exclusive restaurant as well.

I looked up the video of the differences and it's a pretty huge difference, PATF has a huge expectation to meet. The WDW and Tokyo versions were made in 1991 so it's amazing that they still are one the crown jewel attractions.

BasiltheBatLord

Great comparison. Also worth mentioning just for posterity's sake that Tokyo's Splash is very similar to the WDW version (they were constructed at the same time and opened within 2 days of each other) although has a couple differences. Tokyo's queue takes place entirely within the mountain unlike the American versions which have open-air queues, there's also a unique Br'er Owl AA figure in the queue which has a spiel setting up the attraction's story. The geese are in the laughing place segment instead of the "How Do You Do" segment and there's a unique scene where the log passes by some hitchhiking critters asking to be given a ride on the log. The laughing place scene also looks different compared to the other versions and has less AAs. Funnily enough the "FSU" mole is still in the Tokyo ride.

Touchdown

Also in DL in the first show level (before the roller coaster drop) you have two slight low grade drops where the logs pick up some speed for a section, this is then repeated after the coaster drop and bee turn around. WDW does not have these and instead has a traditional bigger drop after the bees (similar to the first drop into How do you Do)

celluloid

Among all of the other mentioned things that make WDW a more immersive ride are the, extended queue area, the playground themed to the characters that allow people who do not wish to ride and too short to ride a place to play, the train tunnel and the kinetic energy provided by the train station on the overhanging level and the fact that you can look and see the log from the first lift through the cavern tunnel openings. Also, the logs being larger appearing as double bound logs allow for increased seating capacity and arguably far more comfortable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom