Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinnmac000

You originally said "nobody," so no, it wasn't fairly obvious.

Either way, people who are sticking up for the ride on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are being called any number of hateful terms, including racist.

It depends on how they are wording it. Some posts in this very thread are borderline racist in nature so don't be surprised when people call them out on it.

BigDlover

Has that been confirmed?

...and if it is true, tinfoil hat on has anyone looked into whether the petition started by a cast member wasn't AstroTurf by the company?
I don't see how it wasn't. Sure, Disney knew of these problems before, but they didn't choose to spend the money to fix it until it became a public issue. I don't believe for a second that they were planning this re-theme for months now. The timing is too perfect. I believe Disney said that to attempt to keep politics out if it as much as they could.

Brer Oswald

Tweren't any hills, much less mountains, or log flumes in any of the animated segments of Song of the South.*

*I'm pretty sure, though it's been a while since I've seen it.
Chick-a-pin Hill. That’s where the dead log is from. That’s why they have to change it (which, if what the concept art is to go by, might be one of the few changes for the better. That tree looked cool.)

Bairstow

I don't see how it wasn't. Sure, Disney knew of these problems before, but they didn't choose to spend the money to fix it until it became a public issue. I don't believe for a second that they were planning this re-theme for months now. The timing is too perfect. I believe Disney said that to attempt to keep politics out if it as much as they could.
Unless this is a well-designed plot to keep Disney's theme parks and their attractions in the news.
...which if it is, is working beautifully.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I read somewhere on twitter that the number $50 Mill was thrown around.

rushhour.jpg

That's like, what (counts on fingers) 6 cans of paint! WDI can't do anything with that!

BigDlover

I'm not a racist, Splash Mountain isn't racist, the people who made Splash Mountain weren't racist, and the people who love Splash Mountain aren't racists. I guess your answer will be the same if Paw Patrol is cancelled. "Racism lost". Lol.
What in the world is Paw Patrol 😂 I didn't call you a racist and you can't speak for everyone who made or loves Splash Mountain.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This petition has more signatures and hasn't even been up 24 hours. There is also an extremist vocal minority calling for the cancellation of Paw Patrol too. There was not overwhelming pressure from anyone to change Splash Mountain. Disney was never going to lose customers for leaving Splash Mountain alone.

To be fair, the petition to change SM closed since it achieved its objective.

I can't believe Disney is changing the ride . This is only the beginning, the same article calling for cancellation of Splash also called for Dumbo, Peter Pan to be removed and Lady and the tramp to be banned .
Disney Parks is full of magic and innocence , I am not sure how far this will go .
We love Princess and the frog , I just hope they don't slap on a cheap overlay and make it as immersive as Splash already is .

RoysCabin

So should Runaway Railway be replaced because several Mickey cartoons were racist? If we are using “problematic source material” as the reason for change, logic would apply there too.

Why is Mickey safe, but Brer Rabbit isn’t? Is it simply because “he’s Mickey”? To which, from a business perspective, that makes sense. But from a moral perspective, it’s still wrong, and makes this whole thing seem rather half hearted.
Disney already doesn't show a number of Mickey cartoons due to very racially insensitive material in them (e.g. the one where he paints himself up in blackface for a performance). Warner Bros. has done similarly for various depictions of blackface in Bugs Bunny cartoons. And yeah, Mickey and most older cartoons had a lot about their designs based off of minstrelsy, as well.

Mickey's origins, however, were not in propagating a racial system, despite his design elements, and he's a character with over 90 years of history behind him at this point who has been used and reused in an enormous multitude of ways and styles; he is not defined, in the public mind, by the worst of what was in his history, because he's been changed around and presented in various ways by different animators, voice actors, writers, etc. over the years.

Ironically, the Uncle Remus stories were initially compiled with what seemed like good intentions in mind, but we're referring here less to the Brer Rabbit of the old stories and more to the characters of, specifically, Disney's version of Song of the South. Due to that movie being "vaulted" so often, it's been very difficult to grant Brers Rabbit, Fox, and Bear much life beyond their use in a film that is, let's face it, pretty darn issue-ridden. Fair or not, they're perceived by the public that knows them as characters from a film that Disney itself isn't comfortable promoting to this day, while characters like Mickey and Bugs are not trapped being defined by racial caricatures they might have performed in the past.

Again, I'll still say I'm not sure I agree with making this change, overall, but I don't think it's an entirely fair comparison to say "if Brer Rabbit has to go, then so does Mickey!" It's taking an all-or-nothing, "there can be only two sides/outcomes" stance on something with much more nuance and complexity to it.

RCID

You sure it has to be a situation of absolutes?
It can't be that some media is kinda racially insensitive, and some media is irredeemably racially insensitive?
It has to be perfect or not at all?
No middle ground?
This is where we are at...

SplashJacket

Honestly, to me, I understand changing Disneyland pretty quickly, but WDW's Splash should remain until the 60th. MK is just not at the point where this kind of change will benefit the park.

csmat99

I would like to remind everyone of the terms and conditions of posting here.

Terms and rules

Specifically:

Be courteous and respect your fellow members. To be clear, personal attacks, aggressive messages, and passive-aggressive behavior is unacceptable. If you take particular issue with another user and are unable to reply in a civilised and constructive way to their posts, you should ignore the user and take the fight on twitter where it belongs.

Everyone can have a different view, and everyone can have a say - that is OK. What is not OK, is to to launch into attack mode against anything you don't agree with. If anyone can't follow this simple request they will be prevented from taking part in this discussion.

I have been forced to remove more than 200 posts so far that are simply unacceptable, all in the space of a few hours. That is not the WDWMAGIC community that I know.

Thank you to those of you who are behaving like sensible adults and expressing your views in a calm and controlled manner.
Edited it for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom