Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodles

We live in an entire country built on racism, from the Spanish encomienda and limpieza de sagre systems, to Puritan extermination squads against Native Americans, to African chattel slavery, to the genocidal bloodshed of the westward expansion against more Native populations and against Mexico, let alone what wound up happening in the Spanish-American War. The economic bounty of the post-World War II economy in America was partly built on denying the financial benefits of the GI Bill to black veterans, thus enabling things like white flight to the government-backed suburbs while depriving the cities where minority populations were left behind of economic activity and jobs.

So, yeah, Disney has long been a company comfortable with racism (one need only see the depiction of, say, the black-drawn centaurs in Fantasia, but there are plenty of other examples; heck, Mickey's design itself is based on the appearance of actors in minstrel shows), but not because of anything that's unique to Disney. It's instead due to a culture and society that was built on separating people into hierarchies based on the non-biological concept of race, then willfully exploiting or harming those at the bottom of that hierarchy, and that culture becoming ingrained and accepted as normal and "just the way things are." That's the foundation of the entire nation we live in, whether we want to accept it or not, especially when you go back and see how the slavery-era South was the Silicon Valley of its day, or how the railroad companies exploited and killed immigrants and other non-white groups to make their money and in turn make America an economic powerhouse by the turn of the 20th century. Again, this isn't because Walt or someone was uniquely bad in their views, but that's why racism is referred to as "systemic"; it transcends individuals and shapes entire societies.
That's why you guys need to burn it all down. Leave nothing standing. It will be better then.

brb1006

CBJ is not long for this world.
Let me guess, CBJ is leaving because of Trixie.
5b4a0ec602a0c8da3ae2948e722948e2.jpg

Meanwhile, my favorite characters from that show are The Sun Bonnets.
Sun%20Bonnet%20Trio%202.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's what I was thinking, replacing a ride about African-American folklore with another European fairytale. Disney is the wokest!

In order to keep Splash Mountain from being associated with what Disney is acknowledging is a racist movie, Song of the South; Splash Mountain 'whitewashed' the stories to remove them from Uncle Remus. In doing so, the folktales of the ride no longer have a connections to the American Slaves or their original African folk tales.

So, what do you mean by African-American folklore? There's nothing in the ride that tells you it's African-American (originally, African).

So, you know what we call taking a culture's stories and presenting them devoid of their origin as if they were just our shared American heritage: Cultural Appropriation.

By avoiding connections with one form of racism, Disney stumbled into another.

RoysCabin

That's why you guys need to burn it all down. Leave nothing standing. It will be better then.
I'm fine with critiquing things that glorify such a past, sure.

I'm also fine with keeping things around to remind us of the past; certain statues don't do that (since most of those were constructed in the 1920s for the express purpose of racial terror, typically in the wake of lynchings), but the way, for example, that the concentration camps have been preserved in Europe and converted into tangible reminders of a very real, terrifying history that has to be reckoned with? Sure thing.

Splash Mountain is not one of those things. I'm going to dearly miss the original ride, but it does not meet that criteria.

Beacon Joe

We live in an entire country built on racism, from the Spanish encomienda and limpieza de sagre systems, to Puritan extermination squads against Native Americans, to African chattel slavery, to the genocidal bloodshed of the westward expansion against more Native populations and against Mexico, let alone what wound up happening in the Spanish-American War. The economic bounty of the post-World War II economy in America was partly built on denying the financial benefits of the GI Bill to black veterans, thus enabling things like white flight to the government-backed suburbs while depriving the cities where minority populations were left behind of economic activity and jobs.

So, yeah, Disney has long been a company comfortable with racism (one need only see the depiction of, say, the black-drawn centaurs in Fantasia, but there are plenty of other examples; heck, Mickey's design itself is based on the appearance of actors in minstrel shows), but not because of anything that's unique to Disney. It's instead due to a culture and society that was built on separating people into hierarchies based on the non-biological concept of race, then willfully exploiting or harming those at the bottom of that hierarchy, and that culture becoming ingrained and accepted as normal and "just the way things are." That's the foundation of the entire nation we live in, whether we want to accept it or not, especially when you go back and see how the slavery-era South was the Silicon Valley of its day, or how the railroad companies exploited and killed immigrants and other non-white groups to make their money and in turn make America an economic powerhouse by the turn of the 20th century. Again, this isn't because Walt or someone was uniquely bad in their views, but that's why racism is referred to as "systemic"; it transcends individuals and shapes entire societies.

So, effectively, your argument becomes "why do you choose to live in this society at all?", and I hope you can see how absurd that becomes.

That's funny because if it's so systemic, my inter-racial parents sure seem to have thrived even living in the deep South in the 60s with a gaggle of brown-skinned kids in tow. I never grew up with a disadvantage due to the color of my skin. FWIW, the only racism I have ever experienced (and repeatedly) has been from white people who hated me because they thought that I should think in a manner according to their false preconceptions.

doctornick

As an African American, I want to thank all of those who complained without understanding that SPlash was the last big remnant of my ancestors stories in the world. This SERIOUSLY does wonders to the black community....This is an absolute joke. I am beyond disappointed..My all time favorite attraction, the one that made me feel close to My heritage, My stories.

Thanks, Disney.

Haven’t been able to read most of the thread yet but this is my hot take. No matter what anyone thinks about Song of the South as a movie - the actual tales that it is originally based on and what the ride revolves around are African in nature. The irony is that in the quest to be most offended, the haters have succeeded in getting rid of probably the most well known of African American culture based attractions in the world.

There is no one arguing against having a PatF ride. I think most everyone would agree that having better/more representation for people of color in the parks is a good thing. I think this is a terrible way to go about it, especially given how it drains from African oral traditions.

Brer Oswald

In order to keep Splash Mountain from being associated with what Disney is acknowledging is a racist movie, Song of the South; Splash Mountain 'whitewashed' the stories to remove them from Uncle Remus. In doing so, the folktales of the ride no longer have a connections to the American Slaves or their original African folk tales.

So, what do you mean by African-American folklore? There's nothing in the ride that tells you it's African-American (originally, African).

So, you know what we call taking a culture's stories and presenting them devoid of their origin as if they were just our shared American heritage: Cultural Appropriation.

By avoiding connections with one form of racism, Disney stumbled into another.
I seem to recall you being against the change two weeks ago. As were a majority of people who seem to be claiming this as the “best thing since sliced bread”.

MickeyMouse10

It's too bad they didn't do a Brer Rabbit cartoon for Disney + and just say the attraction is based on that. This way all of the sensitive people who see racism everywhere they go wouldn't get offended.

Most old cartoons have things that will offend people. Look at Dumbo and the "When I see an Elephant fly" segment.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wow...

Arguably the greatest ride Disney has ever produced being thrown away because of "woke culture"

Bend the knee to communist Disney. I won't be back

Wow, I didn't know Communism was so respectful of other people's cultures that they would go out of their way to not cause any offense.

I'm gonna have to check out this Communism thing, sounds fantastic. Thanks for turning me onto it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom