Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

Not Martin, but I just wanted to point out that if the backlash to this announcement is strong enough, Disney has all the excuses in the world to pull the plug on the re-theme, especially what with all the huge loss of crowds and revenue the global pandemic is causing.

Part of me still suspects this entire announcement may be a ploy to try to get guests to visit Splash Mountain "one last time".

...especially the sorts of guests who aren't scared of crowds during pandemics.
"We had so many defending the problematic source material that we have decided it's worth keeping." Uh... yeah, I don't think that's going to go over well.

Beacon Joe

Has nobody read about the Rape of Nanking? Or about the Paggahasa sa Maynila?

Why is there a celebration of Japan in EPCOT Center? It must be removed now.

TwilightZone

You are right - it is an IP ride but the IP is held pretty damn far away from the ride narrative. I guess it’s more of the classic Disney feel that the ride has. I don’t want that to go away.
I agree with that, I love splash mountain due to it's classic feel. Though I know when to let something go and I feel it's time for Splash as it is to transition to something new. This is honestly the best retheme disney has had in a while, at least in disneyland. Not sure how well it will fit in world.

Bairstow

"We had so many defending the problematic source material that we have decided it's worth keeping." Uh... yeah, I don't think that's going to go over well.

"In light of current economic and travel conditions, the Walt Disney Company has had to make the difficult decision of prioritizing certain guest experiences and our cast members over some previously-announced projects. We hope you and your family will enjoy all of our current and upcoming experiences, and look forward to revisiting these ideas in the very near future!"

hokielutz

While you are at it Joe... a Yeti needs fixing too!
4B2689FF-0881-4FBD-AB06-2FD5572D6197.png

SplashJacket

I'm not laughing at anyone who is upset. I totally understand the feeling of loss many people are experiencing. Lots of great memories have been made with Splash Mountain.

Add to that the cumulative effect: lots of rides have been removed, lots of badly-done overlays. Many would say an entire park was ruined. These things all tend to add up in the mind of the nostalgic fan. (Nevermind all the other changes happening in the world these days.) It makes sense to me that lots of people are mourning the losses of things they knew and loved.

This is not a nostalgia fanboy instance. Disney has decided they want to remove stories written by slaves. I completely understand the issues with Songs of the South, the portrayal of black American post-civil war is completely wrong. Splash Mountain does not make these same mistakes. Please educate me on what is so horribly wrong with Splash Mountain?

People are associating Splash Mountain with Songs of the South which is very easy to do. However, people forget what made Songs of the South bad in the first place. It is a movie that has not been present in American Culture because Disney refuses to release it. Splash Mountain does not have those issues.

What exactly is so culturally inappropriate about Splash Mountain? The simple association with Songs of the South? The original story Sleeping Beauty was based on included her being raped numerous times. Does that mean DLP and DLA need to tear down their castles?

As a shareholder of TWDC, I think it is an insanely reckless use of funds that simply demonstrates incompetence. It is about the bigger picture. "Oh, it's only gonna be a couple hundred million, no big deal!" but if they are willing to do this they are also able to make other bad fiscal decisions. I understand Disney just wants to rid themselves of anything relates to Songs of the South so they figure why not make it Tiana. but this is really a slap in the face to Black Americans.

If they wanted to retheme Splash once they do a huge laundry list of projects, be my guest, but they are nowhere near that point. But there are far more attractions which need more attention. Space Mountain is far older than Splash, which is in great condition. Space Mountain's condition is horrid, there is no arguing that it is not.

It is Disney saying that only one attraction relating to Black Americans is allowed in the parks. Splash Mountain is by no means the perfect attraction to carry this torch, but ignoring this is naive.

DABIGCHEEZ

They better not retire Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear and Brer Fox from the parks!
3318ba7d88a760606161ca13085ab294.jpg

Including merchandise featuring them!
Of course they will disappear... they offend the masses.

As a side note: Most of Disney movies have something offensive to somebody. What a weak move by Disney. I love the Rincess and Frog movie and the songs in it. They should build a new attraction for it. And as I have always said, I think every movie should have something(show, ride, restaurant, bathroom-lol, etc.)representing it at WDW.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Im surprised the Hall of Presidents hasnt received as abundant of outrage, there's washington through Jefferson who owned slaves, jackson was responsible for the trail of tears and so on.

Did you fall asleep through the movie part of HoP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom