Splash Mountain Question

CinderellaFan

Original Poster
I went on splash mountain a few years ago and at the end during the big drop felt like I was going to fall out of the boat. My niece recently had the same feeling. I was wondering if this was due to keeping our eyes open during the drop and if anyone else has had the same feeling. I am curious to know as i will be heading down there again and would love to go on the ride again.

TimeTrip

Yes yes, their plan to make you feel like you're falling out worked!

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that interpret the feelings the body experiences on that drop as "falling out of the boat". :)

Mr Bill

ilovepluto23 said:
Yeah I feel it too, especially when I was younger.
But, no worries...I don't think anyone has fallen out yet.
I do know of one case but that wasn't the ride's fault.

Don't try to climb out of the log at the peak of the drop and you should be fine.

col

i always have that feeling. i press my feet so hard against the bottom of the boat im surprised there isnt any holes where my shoes have been and i hold on aswell. to me thats part of the thrill of splash mountain even though i scream everytime i just love the ride!!!:)

dopey

Wasn't there an incident involving a heavyset woman? Maybe it wasn't at a Disney park, but on a flume ride somewhere.

Chape19714

it's supposed to feel that way. I always feel that way on the drop. It's definately common. You think that's bad, go on DL's where there's no handle bars in front of you, just on the side! :eek:

slappy magoo

I'm no physics genius, but the sensaiton you feel probably has something to do with the fact, while gravity is technically the same, the length of the log (and the distribution of the weight contained therein) might make the log start to drop while you're already sorta kinda hanging out in the air.

Balance a penny on the edge of a butter knife, and sloooowly start pushing the butter knife to the edge of a table, blade first. Once enough of the knife is off of the table, the knife will fall in an arc, because there's still some of the knife on the table, whereas the penny will drop more or less straight down.

Now put the penny on the knife's blade again, but slooooowly push it off the table, handle-edge first. Because the penny is on the last part of the knife to be affected by the pull of gravity, you'll see a little more of a catapult effect.

Similar principles are at work on Splash Mtn, except the drop isn't as sharp, and because you're inside the log, with at least part of your body more or less pressed against it, you fall with it more than the penny on the knife's blade. But it could still gives you an almost-zero-gravity sensation as a result. It'll depend, mostly, on how disproportionately the weight is distributed inside the log, and where you are seated. You may feel more of a direct drop. You may feel a little more of a catapult. The differences will be slight, but you're already jazzed up in anticipation, your senses are heightened, it seems much more different.

EPCOT_Rocks

He climed out of the boat, and it wasn't at the big drop. I believe it was at the 'dark drop' where you go down and come back up. He was actually cut in two by the boat that hit him. I remember this story because the victim worked for Equifax and because of this company's function there were some rather unsavory comments made about him. Just proves those 'please keep your hands and arms inside the boat/car/train' lines are there for a reason!!

Ringo8n24

A previous post about this victim on Splash said he was mentally challenged. I could not image what it would be like to be in the boat that hit him or even anywhere around it. Can you imagine what those kids saw that were on it? That had to be traumatizing.

ilovepluto23

The average person would probably not try to exit the ride while in motion.

There has to be some underlying handicap or condition in that story...I hope.

mikeymouse

EPCOT_Rocks said:
He climed out of the boat, and it wasn't at the big drop. I believe it was at the 'dark drop' where you go down and come back up. He was actually cut in two by the boat that hit him. I remember this story because the victim worked for Equifax and because of this company's function there were some rather unsavory comments made about him. Just proves those 'please keep your hands and arms inside the boat/car/train' lines are there for a reason!!

I figured he was sliced in two when it said "upper torso" and not like chest or head injuries. Was he in the water at the time? I guess he'd have to be. I think there is steps alongside the dark drop?

Madison

slappy magoo said:
I'm no physics genius, but the sensaiton you feel probably has something to do with the fact, while gravity is technically the same, the length of the log (and the distribution of the weight contained therein) might make the log start to drop while you're already sorta kinda hanging out in the air.

Balance a penny on the edge of a butter knife, and sloooowly start pushing the butter knife to the edge of a table, blade first. Once enough of the knife is off of the table, the knife will fall in an arc, because there's still some of the knife on the table, whereas the penny will drop more or less straight down.

Now put the penny on the knife's blade again, but slooooowly push it off the table, handle-edge first. Because the penny is on the last part of the knife to be affected by the pull of gravity, you'll see a little more of a catapult effect.

Similar principles are at work on Splash Mtn, except the drop isn't as sharp, and because you're inside the log, with at least part of your body more or less pressed against it, you fall with it more than the penny on the knife's blade. But it could still gives you an almost-zero-gravity sensation as a result. It'll depend, mostly, on how disproportionately the weight is distributed inside the log, and where you are seated. You may feel more of a direct drop. You may feel a little more of a catapult. The differences will be slight, but you're already jazzed up in anticipation, your senses are heightened, it seems much more different.

The analogy is fun, but where Splash Mountain is concerned, it's not applicable.

"Airtime" that we feel on rides -- typically roller coasters -- comes when the ride vehicle accelerates faster than gravity while traveling up or down an incline. For the force to be pronounced, the change in acceleration or direction needs to happen quickly. Generally, the faster you change direction, the more you'll feel as if you're 'falling out' -- when in reality you're just falling slower than your ride vehicle.

Splash Mountain, as I'm sure you're aware, changes direction at the top of the drops very, very slowly. Thus, you will never feel airtime or leave your seat while on the ride. Your behind is as firmly planted to that bench during the drop as it is when your're slowly passing through the Laughing Place, as it were.

In fact, since Splash Mountain's largest drop falls away at a 45* angle, the speed at which you move downward matches that at which you move forward. You drop 90' while, at the same time, moving forward 90' -- making the forces acting upon your body in any direction pretty well exactly the same as those if you were instead sitting on a bench outside.

Rob562

He wasn't "sliced in two". If you want to know the gory details...

From the discussions and other articles I recall from that time, he exited the log in the bee cave. He stood on one side of the flume for a few minutes (people getting off the ride said they had seen him standing there), and then tried to cross over the flume to a marked exit by using the back of another log.

As near as we can guess from the available info, the log he tried to use had stopped at the top of the drop from the bee cave into the Laughin' Place, either as part of the normal actions of log spacing or because of a temporary ride stop (there were conflicting reports about the ride being shut down at one point and the standard breakdown spiel playing.)

As he tried to cross over, the log then advanced into the drop and he fell into the water where he was then hit by the next log, pinning him between the log and the advancer belt at the top of the lift. I believe the cause of death was said to be either drowning or asphyxiation due to the weight pinning him down.

I don't recall what the man's mental status was.

Moral of the story: Do *not* get out of your ride vehicle at any time during a ride.

-Rob

shmmrname

Oh how I love Splash Mountain...

One of my favorite parts: Riding with first-timers and getting them all hyped up about each little dip, convincing them it's 'the one'.

Anyways, I would count yourself as lucky. I love the thrill you get, even though you know your safe. Some people can't feel that stuff, so they make Bob Kratchett (Spelling?) work while they desperately try to find a ride good enough at Six Flags/Cedar Point. Boo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom