Splash Mountain problems

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
lentesta said:
....I'd love to know whether the jumping water effect was back. Most of the other maintenance items I'd noticed in 2004 have been fixed, and this is the last, glaring exception. The up-and-down jumping water effects were on, but not the streams that arced over your boat and across the ride track.

The one-circuit/one-sensor explanation makes sense, but I wonder what the threshold is for "high capacity." It would be odd if the circuit wasn't designed for ordinary crowd levels, and not that difficult to replace.

Len

Splash has suffered from lack of maintenence in the past during the 2001/2002 slump, but things are now improving drastically. Let me explain a few of the issues:

The issue with the jumping water cannons is not one of maintenance issues. Splash has a new image based intrusion system (similar to Mission Space) to identify anything that shouldnt be out of place (ie. guests). The leaping water effect works perfectly, but is triggering the intrusion system, which then means the leaping fountains have to be switched off. So each morning the leaping water is switched on, and ends up being switched off at some point during the day. The issue with the intrusion system is being worked on.

The issue with the mouldy pads has also been addressed. They are about 30% into a replacement program with a new material that resists mould. Disney have taken this problem seriously and addressed it.

The bridge water cannons have not failed, and are simply switched off during day/night parades when a lot of people are in that area (for safety reasons)

Animatronics are being removed for refurbishment on an ongoing basis. Some of the frogs and geese have been done, as has the hopping rabbit.

On the rumor that the water speed changes, this is not true. Splash has not mechanism to vary the speed during busy/quiet times. There is water moving at different speeds during different parts of the attraction, but this is done all the time, and relates to varying depths of water at different points.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Perhaps someone can confirm/deny but in 2003 we were told the water cannon were off as a water saving measure, just like at BB no flow under typhoon Tilly. And last year despite being working didnt seem to have the same effect, have they been cut back?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Pumbas Nakasak said:
Perhaps someone can confirm/deny but in 2003 we were told the water cannon were off as a water saving measure, just like at BB no flow under typhoon Tilly. And last year despite being working didnt seem to have the same effect, have they been cut back?

See my post above. The current policy is for them to be off during parades and when large groups of people are gathered in that area. Having a lot of people running around trying to avoid the water when it is packed in that area is not a good idea.

VacationMan

We were there on 05/26/05, and the Running Rabit sequence was down, along with the Jumping Fish.

It seems the "shooting waters" have not worked correctly in years... When they do run (As it has always seemed hit-or-miss over the years", it looks like it is always a calcium build-up problem, with either the water from one stage, not shooting "lamilar - steady flow", or one other stage simply acting like a sprayer rather than sending a flow across. The aim of where they are shooting to has been off for a VERY long time. I'm going to make a big assumption (and we know what that means) that when they clean the tubes of the calcium, which seems to be a huge problem in Florida", that there is no easy way to re-calibrate the tube to land where it is suppose to. You know shooting water over a large distance and getting it to go where you want it would be very sensitive to where the tube points...

You know these very same effects in this room have/were seen by the public for YEARS at EPCOT in the Kodak pavilion (where the HISTA exist is). shooting water, bouncing balls of water in the buckets... These same issues seemed consistently the problem there was well.

Its a shame seeing the intent of the imagineers actually become diluted and "have less impact on the show" over all these years.

Here's hoping a refurb is in the near future plans.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
VacationMan said:
Its a shame seeing the intent of the imagineers actually become diluted and "have less impact on the show" over all these years.

Here's hoping a refurb is in the near future plans.

See the post above, its nothing todo with calcium. The jumping water effects are there and working, the issue is with falsly triggering security systems, which results in them being throttled down to turned off.

VacationMan

wdwmagic said:
See the post above, its nothing todo with calcium. The jumping water effects are there and working, the issue is with falsly triggering security systems, which results in them being throttled down to turned off.

Honestly by running, yes, they can run, but "Working". No. Not if you saw it when it opened, and compare it to now. The water effect often simply does not "Flow", it looks like a facet with something caught behind the screen. Much air in the stream, and most if not ALL the streams MISS the destined POTS on the other side, by wide margins. Not at all how it was set up when the ride opened.

I have also see some of the "fire" off in sequence, however, the water simply sprays in directions, or with no force more than a foot.

None of those problems would be from a timing issue.

awallaceunc

The water that sprays those walking along Frontierland outside of Splash Mountain when I was there twice in last July.

I think they were working 6 months ago when I was there as well, but I'm not sure on that one.

...No swinging Brer Bear, though, or am I just imagining that?

-Aaron

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom