Splash Mountain fall refurbishment 2017

ToTBellHop

It will not be BTM. Updates like these are usually scheduled around when a ride will need a refurb anyway. BTM will wait awhile since it just had one. Why close it again when it'll need work again before 2021. If you saw a list of the attractions proposed for updates, you'd understand the need to schedule far out.

A few options:
Jungle Cruise
Mansion
Peter Pan
Ariel
Mine Train
Space Mtn

Any of those could push Splash. There are oodles of smaller projects, too, but something like a pulsing of the Tiki Room wouldn't affect Splash.

Presumably whatever closes in January needs MORE than 12 weeks or they would have just done Fall. So that moves us to perhaps Jungle Cruise, Mansion, Peter Pan, or Space Mtn as the others should be largely cosmetic.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
October isn't really slow anymore, is it?

So it seems this is real. Bummer. Well, hopefully this will be it in October for the "big" rides...
Good point. How about slower...not slow. Splash is a water ride and it's damn hot and very crowded in August (especially the first 2 weeks). Thanksgiving week is now as crowded or more than even Spring Break week(s) now that more and more schools are going to a full week off. September and October are slower months with special events (like food and wine and Halloween parties) planned to keep things crowded.
Just got back in contact so the refurb is August 28th- Novmeber 16th.
That makes a little more sense as far as timing goes. Maybe the big Space Mountain refurb everyone has been waiting for is planned for the first half of 2018, or maybe the BTMRR enhancement as part of the 50 new things for the 50th celebration.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It will not be BTM. Updates like these are usually scheduled around when a ride will need a refurb anyway. BTM will wait awhile since it just had one. Why close it again when it'll need work again before 2021. If you saw a list of the attractions proposed for updates, you'd understand the need to schedule far out.

A few options:
Jungle Cruise
Mansion
Peter Pan
Ariel
Mine Train
Space Mtn

Any of those could push Splash.

Presumably whatever closes in January needs MORE than 12 weeks or they would have just done Fall. So that moves us to perhaps Jungle Cruise, Mansion, Peter Pan, or Space Mtn as the others should be largely cosmetic.
Makes sense on BTMRR. Space seems most logical to me, but it could be one of the others too.

jt04

Pandora will be open then so there is an option for another boat ride on property.

PS- that is a long time for Splash to be closed. :D

PiratesoftheHM

Isn't the big Space Mountain refurb (if it even happens, seemed like @WDW1974 alluded that it may not happen before the 50th) supposed to last probably at least close to 18 months? If so I doubt that one is starting in early 2018. I'll be in Disney for DCP and it's unfortunate Splash will be closed most of the program. Would have rather had any of @MansionButler84's list down, except maybe Mansion.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Jungle Cruise has had plussing put off for 10 years now! 10!
If it's mechanical issues I could see that, but I kinda feel like the old school and outdated animated animals are part of the charm and comedy of the ride.
Isn't the big Space Mountain refurb (if it even happens, seemed like @WDW1974 alluded that it may not happen before the 50th) supposed to last probably at least close to 18 months? If so I doubt that one is starting in early 2018. I'll be in Disney for DCP and it's unfortunate Splash will be closed most of the program. Would have rather had any of @MansionButler84's list down, except maybe Mansion.
If they do Space before the 50th it might have to start in 2018. If they start work in 2018 it would be back before the opening of Star Wars Land and the huge crowds it will draw.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Pandora will be open then so there is an option for another boat ride on property.

PS- that is a long time for Splash to be closed. :D
It's 2.5 months so about the same as the 2014 refurb. It was only down about a week in 2016 and 2107 in Jan so this seems like it will be a lot more significant than the annual seasonal shut down.

ToTBellHop

It's 2.5 months so about the same as the 2014 refurb. It was only down about a week in 2016 and 2107 in Jan so this seems like it will be a lot more significant than the annual seasonal shut down.
Laughing place has some serious reliability issues that require more than a week. Then the usual painting and AA work that you'd expect from a more involved refurb.

Sped2424

Original Poster

A few options:
Jungle Cruise
Mansion
Peter Pan
Ariel
Mine Train
Space Mtn

Any of those could push Splash. There are oodles of smaller projects, too, but something like a pulsing of the Tiki Room wouldn't affect Splash.

Has the rework for little mermaids ending finally been approved.

Magic Feather

AFAIK, the unspoken rule of refurbs is no more than two major E's down at a time (barring two day quickees). Even then, the two must be at separate parks. Rule gets bumped to 3 for D's and for C's and below it is four with in park overlap allowed. Not a policy, but a rule of thumb. Yes, Splash is early because they have bigger fish (plural) to fry. Which fish is chosen is yet to be seen, although I highly doubt BTM is chosen, also highly doubt anything in FL barring pan will be chosen.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
AFAIK, the unspoken rule of refurbs is no more than two major E's down at a time (barring two day quickees). Even then, the two must be at separate parks. Rule gets bumped to 3 for D's and for C's and below it is four with in park overlap allowed. Not a policy, but a rule of thumb. Yes, Splash is early because they have bigger fish (plural) to fry. Which fish is chosen is yet to be seen, although I highly doubt BTM is chosen, also highly doubt anything in FL barring pan will be chosen.

So splash will be closed in August-November?

jt04

One can only hope what the future will bring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom