Splash Mountain...don't want to get soaked

po1998

Original Poster
Heading to Orlando next week, and will probably spend one day at WDW(most likely MK). Would like to ride Splash Mountain(never have been on it), but don't want to get soaked, nor do I want to lug around a change of clothes.

Any chance of riding without getting drenched?

JoeCamel

Heading to Orlando next week, and will probably spend one day at WDW(most likely MK). Would like to ride Splash Mountain(never have been on it), but don't want to get soaked, nor do I want to lug around a change of clothes.

Any chance of riding without getting drenched?
I have, lots of things have to come together to keep totally dry. I usually get put in the back so the following wave can get you there. I have never come off soaking but have seen those who do.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
There's a good chance you won't get drenched however there is a chance that you will.
Just grab a rain poncho from the dollar store.
Wear it on the ride and toss it.
This is what my family does because while we love the ride we don't love the possibility of being wet afterwards.
Some would say that's the point of the ride but for us its the songs, the characters, the storyline, and the drops.

Goofyernmost

Buy a poncho. Make sure it covers your legs too. And try and sit nearer the back, left side.
Or at the very least, never sit in the front. I have never had more the a couple of drops of water on me after the ride and I have always been in one of the last two rows. But to be sure... the poncho is the way to go!

Simba’s Mom

I've yet to figure out the trick. However, I've been on the ride about 30 times, and only gotten very wet once or twice. I THINK I was sitting in the front at least one of those times. But once we stopped near the waterfall, and that was bad. Sitting near the back seems to help.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yes I always bring 4 ponchos per person for Splash/Kali or if it happens to actually rain. Most important is to SIT on poncho (wet underthings do not dry quickly if at all....:bored:) and hold onto hood on way down (if your hairdo is important to you) and until you clear the curve of the bottom of falls.....usually it depends on whether we are going out to eat after or earlier in day, but if its near park closing and HOT....I save the poncho! :cool: I prefer middle left too....front and back usually have higher risk!

ppete1975

Clothes arent bad. Id bring spare shoes and socks (light enough) or bring some flip flops or water shoes just for splash.

ELG13

I dont think there's a rhyme or reason...wear a poncho and make sure your butt is covered. Other than that the only advice would be not to ride. I've ridden it more times than I can count but I've only been SOAKED maybe 4. The worst part is if your shorts get wet and that can happen just by sitting in a wet seat....

JIMINYCR

Sit on the left side of the ride log. As you start through the ride you will pass by where the others go down the drop and land at the bottom, which it tends to often splash over onto your log. Theres less chance sitting on the left. Shortly after that you will go up a rise and theres water coming down the side of the hill and again those on the right may get wet. Those sitting near the front will get the wettest. It depends a lot on the water level in the channel and I also think can change by the weight of the guests in the log. If its really a worry to you then do as others suggest and wear a poncho. I always put my wallet, camera and anything else I dont want to get wet in a plastic bag. And as you sit, look at the floor and seat before sitting down, they may already be wet.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I've never really gotten that wet on this ride...

Definitely in comparison to Dudley Do Right and Popeye over at Universal. The soaking is nothing in comparison.

Lucky!!! One cannot control getting stuck at the bottom of the falls though....its all in the timing!:happy: And from time to time, over the years seasonal or not, sometimes the spray cannons are in full force, sometimes less, sometimes when it's cooler turned off completely.

Walt Disney1955

You should be fine, just a couple of sprinkles here and there. The odd time you might get hit with that splash below you that pops up on the next level (it comes from the log that just dropped) but it only hits one person on the log and that's even if it is timed right which it isn't always. Sometimes it misses the log entirely.

If you want to get drenched Ripsaw Falls at Universal is a close guarantee to getting soaked. Popeyes Bluto Barges at Universal is an absolutely guaranteed soaker. You can't get away with that. At Splash Mountain you shouldn't get soaked.

*Jules*

In the Parks
No
I have ridden Splash Mountain many times and probably gotten completely soaked once or twice. I really think like the others have said is the buy a poncho at the Dollar Store(Not the over priced Disney ones) and where it and then after you ride then just get rid of it.

** Just a side note if you decide to go to the Animal Kingdom instead I have come of Kali River Rapids many more times soaked. **

zeedan

I have ridden Splash Mountain many times and probably gotten completely soaked once or twice. I really think like the others have said is the buy a poncho at the Dollar Store(Not the over priced Disney ones) and where it and then after you ride then just get rid of it.

** Just a side note if you decide to go to the Animal Kingdom instead I have come of Kali River Rapids many more times soaked. **
Yes. You get more wet (wetter?) on Kali.

Elfinko

I've only gotten wet on Splash once. Ironically, it wasn't at the end. Our boat get drenched on the way into the ride by another boat that came down the drop on our right. :rolleyes:

Ted Daggett

We usually get more wet from the random water jets that they shoot out right before the first small incline then when we go down the big drop, and there is a rebound splash of the water off of the right wall after the first plunge down "slippin' falls" that surprises us and gets us wet.
I rode it three times yesterday (3/1/20) and was totally dry all three times (I sat in the 2nd row, third row, and last row). My daughter's butt got wet on one ride (from slippin falls); she was on the right side of the log. However, since it was only 74 degrees out, I think they turned off some of the additional water features intended to soak the riders, to keep people from getting wet. I also try to duck after we get to the bottom of the large drop, and let the water just fly over me. Early in the day Ziploc sponsors zip loc bags. I usually put my wallet in the bag just in case.

I was a little disappointed that the water spouts, and the water that "pushes" the turtles up in the "laughin' place" were not functioning.
Also, the pictures that are automatically taken on the drop, were not appearing on the video screens, and the pictures that went to My Disney Experience were not of the boat that we were in.
I thought that after 2 months of refurbishments, these items wouldn't be broken.

I still love it enough to have done it 3 times yesterday though....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom