Splash Mountain Appreciation Thread

𝕴𝖒𝖆𝖌𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖊𝖗97

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
There have been several posts in the Tiana threads about Splash Mountain that are being labeled off-topic and I get it...because the ride has been replaced. So I wanted to create a thread where Splash Mountain fans could talk about Splash Mountain (what they liked about it, what they will miss, etc) without fear of deletion by mods or, in some cases, derision by TBA-fans.

𝕴𝖒𝖆𝖌𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖊𝖗97

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Personally, I'm going to miss looking for this guy:
1687985878837.png

Midwest Elitist

It has some of the best Bluegrass Music ever made, which makes sense because they hired the best Bluegrass Musicians. The Zipadeedoodah harmonica solo is one of the best of all time.

You could feel the love of everyone who created it when you went through, it was so different and weird that it literally transported you out of the Magic Kingdom. From professional artists, to average Disney employees, they all contributed to it's uniqueness.

There are so many details that you would have had to ride it tens of times to actually spot everything they added to make it authentic. Not this crap where you need 30 different "research trips" to mark a checkbox.

When TBA opens, the air in that area won't feel "right", and it never will.

Musical Mermaid

I didn't appreciate the ride a lot until I got older and Disney added lapbars. In the 90s, I was always scared I was going to fall out, also was never the biggest fan of drops, so I avoided it whenever I could then. That was one of the first rides I learned that I could wait on the side if I didn't want to ride. A really nice cast member once told me I could wait when my mom was trying to force me to ride it. I wish I could've given him a cast compliment at that age, I was so grateful and relieved and then I watched my mom grumpily float away in the log by herself. That makes me laugh now, especially knowing that I eventually did love the ride. But I have many great memories of riding it as an adult, singing "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" with friends and family, and watching others come down that final drop. And I loved all the little animals in that attraction, so cute.

DisneyFanatic12

The biggest things I’ll miss is the music and the enormous amount of animatronics. Very good pacing made the ride feel full, every corner seemed to have something moving. I like the music in the Princess and the Frog, but it just isn’t right for that area. Even if they retheme the whole land, I don’t really like listening to songs on a ride that are in the movie.

To me, I’ve already watched the movie. I don’t need a recap of what happened. Splash Mountain brought something new to the table. If they do use some of the songs from the oringinal, I hope they are unique to the ride. Some should just be instrumental background music. No more stock music to save money. I also want a new story line, something timeless that’ll extend the storyline.

Smiley/OCD

The ride was just one of Disney’s biggest and best accomplishments for a ride. From the music that greets you in the queue, to the tiniest of details, the birdhouse…to the amount of animatronics throughout the ride. I always loved the flying bees around the hives! It was, IMHO, the finest attraction Tony Baxter ever created.
I REALLY hope Tiana will be well done and will live up to Disney’s hype. I just don’t have confidence in TWDC and their abilities to create superior attractions.

drizgirl

The biggest things I’ll miss is the music and the enormous amount of animatronics. Very good pacing made the ride feel full, every corner seemed to have something moving. I like the music in the Princess and the Frog, but it just isn’t right for that area. Even if they retheme the whole land, I don’t really like listening to songs on a ride that are in the movie.

To me, I’ve already watched the movie. I don’t need a recap of what happened. Splash Mountain brought something new to the table. If they do use some of the songs from the oringinal, I hope they are unique to the ride. Some should just be instrumental background music. No more stock music to save money. I also want a new story line, something timeless that’ll extend the storyline.
Then you're in luck. My understanding is that they're using new music and story in the new ride.

DisneyFanatic12

I was told the new ride would a very large animatronics population as well. As unbelievable as that may seem.
17 “original” ones, to be exact. Not a ton considering it had 63, but it could technically have 80 now, I guess. I’m sure it’ll have something along the lines of 20. They’re expensive to maintain and hard to keep working. But I’m hoping the sheer number of animatronics will be as impressive as it was for Splash!

(I am a little nervous of how it could be budget cut, as they seemed to of hedged their bet… if the funding is reduced they might just reskin some of the old ones. This concept art they released looks an awful lot like one of the old Splash ones)
Animatronics-coming-to-Tianas-Bayou-Adventure-concept.jpg

yensidtlaw1969

17 “original” ones, to be exact. Not a ton considering it had 63, but it could technically have 80 now, I guess. I’m sure it’ll have something along the lines of 20. They’re expensive to maintain and hard to keep working. But I’m hoping the sheer number of animatronics will be as impressive as it was for Splash!

(I am a little nervous of how it could be budget cut, as they seemed to of hedged their bet… if the funding is reduced they might just reskin some of the old ones. This concept art they released looks an awful lot like one of the old Splash ones)
Just to be clear, it was said there would be 17 original characters in TBA - ones that weren't featured in the movie - that would all exist as Animatronics in the ride. There's no telling yet whether or not we'll see these new characters more than once in AA form, but it seems possible since the number of AA's has been quoted as "dozens".

DisneyFanatic12

Just to be clear, it was said there would be 17 original characters in TBA - ones that weren't featured in the movie - that would all exist as Animatronics in the ride. There's no telling yet whether or not we'll see these new characters more than once in AA form, but it seems possible since the number of AA's has been quoted as "dozens".
Yes, I’m just hoping they don’t keep going Universal on us with the screens… for all we know it could have twice as many animatronics. But, in the off chance they did cut the budget (too late now to, most likely, but you never know), it could have very few. I’m hoping we have some true moving sets rather than bayou mist and party lights. Still, could be 100 animatronics, could be zero (animatronics is a gray area in itself, as technically the Madam Leota’s tomb stone at HM that blinks could be an animatronic because it has a moving part…). Hoping for a lot, expecting a few.

MerlinTheGoat

As Yensid already said, there are 17 new characters, not 17 animatronics in total. You've also got the returning characters including Tiana, Naveen, Louis, Mama Odie, Charlotte, Big Daddy LeBouf, Eudora, the King and Queen and Naveen's little brother. And a number of these characters (both returning and new) will also get multiple copies throughout the ride. Especially the main trio of Tiana, Naveen and Louis. I expect they alone will probably have at least 3-4 figures each. The animal figures seen in the concept art I believe were all confirmed to be part of the 17 new ones. I don't believe any are reskins of Splash figures.

That said, I was also told that they would be reusing the America Sings figures as well (WDW as well I assume, at least the ones that we ended up getting copies of). They seem to be keeping this a bit quiet. But in one of the pieces of art, you can spot the old possums hanging from the ceiling as a shadowy silhouette. A lot of these figures would be fairly straightforward to insert into the new ride with relatively minor changes (maybe some different clothing here and there).

I don't know the exact amount of animatronics the ride will have. But the basic gist is that fans of rides with large AA populations should be happy about that part. I was initially very concerned that this would be another empty ride with maybe a dozen or so AA's and wall to wall video screens. But I was assured that this wouldn't be the case and that it would be a classic AA-heavy experience, the likes of which they haven't done in decades. We'll see, though the pieces of artwork do contain hints that this claim is accurate. Not that there won't be any screens, but it seems like they're going to be used in a more tasteful and supplementary "effects" sort of way rather than in place of physical scenery/characters. I was even told that the AA faces would be mechanical, not projected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom