Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

BuzzedPotatoHead89

To be fair, the stories of Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz have the same message. There's no place like home, after all.

Yes, I understand the racial context is different in the movie Song of the South. However, in the context of animatronic animals, I'm not sure that the message is much different than the other two stories. At least, I don't think that's how most people "read" Splash Mountain and why this is such a controversy for some. In any case, this change was just a matter of time. The Song of the South origins of the ride were always a ticking time bomb, IMO. 🤷‍♀️

This is how I feel. I think the ride in a silo (despite the “accents” and supposed innuendos) really is just a pretty innocuous water flume loosely based on characters from a film most people would’ve forgotten existed had it not been for the advent of social media/internet. Under Eisner “Zip a de do da” and the Brer portions of the movies really existed as severable characters in the Disney media universe in the 90s and early 00s even while SoTS remained firmly in the vault.

Eventually though, the Brer carrot juice isn’t worth the squeeze anymore and with SoTS slowly losing marketability and given country’s consciousness on the troubling backstory of the film, it just wasn’t a suitable “backdrop” to the ride. And any way you squeeze it SoTS at best is really a very mediocre film by Disney standards with some pretty cringey parts for modern audiences.

Princess and the Frog simply works better within the theme at Disneyland and is more marketable for the company as they attempt to garner new generations of fans who grew up on the film and of course, most importantly, “for synergy”, can watch it on Disney+ with their Tiana and Louis plush.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

You elaborated on my explanation, but ultimately It's still brer rabbits story. It's Splash Mountain's story. We're just along for the ride.

I mean Haunted Mansion is telling us we could be happy haunts so we should die and join them. So perhaps that should be rethemed because it encourages suicide? Or pirates shows how much fun it could be to be a criminal vandal terrorizing innocent people.

They're all stories, and we're just along for the ride. I think it's a bit unfair to pick on one subjectively bad message, and not the others.
To be fair the pirates really aren't cirminals anymore sadly on the ride. they are people who force people to sell their hens so they can buy them.

Kate F

You elaborated on my explanation, but ultimately It's still brer rabbits story. It's Splash Mountain's story. We're just along for the ride.

I mean Haunted Mansion is telling us we could be happy haunts so we should die and join them. So perhaps that should be rethemed because it encourages suicide? Or pirates shows how much fun it could be to be a criminal vandal terrorizing innocent people.

They're all stories, and we're just along for the ride. I think it's a bit unfair to pick on one subjectively bad message, and not the others.
I was thinking this exact same thing when I read his comment. As if HM and PotC are “positive” stories with good messages.

Kate F

I’m going to MK in November and I’ve heard that there is still no new merchandise. Is there ever going to be a restock?

Kate F

I'm still not going to click the "show ignored content" button... are pro-rethemers now claiming that the attraction's moral is intended to be a metaphor for slavery being a good thing or something along those lines?

This is seriously getting ridiculous...
Yep, seems like that’s where they’ve stooped to.
I’m pretty darn sure that is not supposed to be the takeaway. I suppose Haunted Mansion encourages guests to die or that Jungle Cruise encourages dangerous river adventuring. It’s just stupid.

You really wouldn’t think this was one of the most popular rides ever if you looked at this thread.

Rich T

To be fair, the stories of Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz have the same message. There's no place like home, after all.
Only in the movie versions, though. In the books, Dorothy keeps going back to Oz (Em, Henry and Dorothy all move there eventually) and Wonderland is basically Alice’s subconscious dealing with how weird and arbitrary adult customs and rules can seem to a child.

Rich T

I'm still not going to click the "show ignored content" button... are pro-rethemers now claiming that the attraction's moral is intended to be a metaphor for slavery being a good thing or something along those lines?

This is seriously getting ridiculous...
Some of us don’t mind the retheme because it’s inevitable and because the ride’s interior scenes have never been exactly mind-blowing. Aside from the drops, the ride’s best feature has been the terrific music, and in spite of all the ways they could screw up the PatF makeover, I’m confident the new music will be excellent.

Splash 1.0 was created with the best of intentions. But Disneyland does not exist in a vacuum, and is owned by a mega-corporation that worships social media.

I still miss Nature’s Wonderland and Inner Space. Theme parks change.
(Disclaimer) This post was written by a DL fan who’s so disgusted with Bobs-Era Disney that he won’t go anywhere near the parks for a long while.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Some of us don’t mind the retheme because it’s inevitable and because the ride’s interior scenes have never been exactly mind-blowing. Aside from the drops, the ride’s best feature has been the terrific music, and in spite of all the ways they could screw up the PatF makeover, I’m confident the new music will be excellent.

Splash 1.0 was created with the best of intentions. But Disneyland does not exist in a vacuum, and is owned by a mega-corporation that worships social media.

(Disclaimer) This post was written by a DL fan who’s so disgusted with Bobs-Era Disney that he won’t go anywhere near the parks for a long while.
Excellent music? name me one memorable song from Princess and the Frog that people know or sing?

Kate F

There’s not minding the retheme and then there’s just making absurd claims to justify it.

Kate F

I’ve always thought that DL fans are more likely to be pro-retheme than World’s. That seems to be the case here for sure.

Rich T

Excellent music? name me one memorable song from Princess and the Frog that people know or sing?
“Dig a Little Deeper” is the catchiest one, and has already been used to great effect in park shows. But any Disney fan under the age of 21 could also sing for you “When We’re Human,” “Friends on the other Side,” “I’m Almost There” and “Gonna Take You There.”

PatF has a very strong score. If they were retelling the movie along the flume layout, the music would flow perfectly. Unfortunately, they’re going with a lame sequel storyline... but I’m hoping they’re smart enough to keep the songs.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

“Dig a Little Deeper” is the catchiest one, and has already been used to great effect in park shows. But any Disney fan under the age of 21 could also sing for you “When We’re Human,” “Friends on the other Side,” “I’m Almost There” and “Gonna Take You There.”

PatF has a very strong score. If they were retelling the movie along the flume layout, the music would flow perfectly. Unfortunately, they’re going with a lame sequel storyline... but I’m hoping they’re smart enough to keep the songs.
Is it on he same level as Zipp-ADEE-DOO--DAH? I rest my case.

Rich T

Is it on he same level as Zipp-ADEE-DOO--DAH? I rest my case.
Where?
There!!!
86C424E5-6C20-48C6-8E5F-C98B68FE4544.jpeg

Sorry, it’s a reflex... I love the Martin Short/Christopher Lloyd version of Alice...

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I’ve always thought that DL fans are more likely to be pro-retheme than World’s. That seems to be the case here for sure.
The majority of us don’t want the ride to change. Many have already said their peace and haven’t been contributing to this thread. Roger themselves said that they’re from the South, so not sure if they’ve ever even been to Disneyland.

celluloid

Written by a man who has used racial slurs in his songs on more than one occasion.

Roger_the_pianist

I'm a music teacher. Kids and teens know Princess and the Frog way more than Zip-a-dee. They actually taught me the music to Princess and the Frog.

Just because you grew up with a song doesn't mean it's marketable to a new generation (probably removed by two generations)

The Zip-a-dee sequence was the only part of Song of the South I remember seeing before I watched the entire film as an adult. The idea of Remus' Iife being *satisfactual* is a big part of what's wrong with the film.

And of course "How Do You Do" sets up and underscores the tar baby sequence, and is heavily featured in Splash. You'd probably not find a kid who knows that song.

And of course Song of the South has the slaves singing "gonna stay right here in the home I know" and has a verse about being "glad he let you stay" which is likely more of a reference to their master than God.

Yeah, I know they are *technically* sharecroppers but that is never made clear in the film, although the Hays office wanted it to be made clear with text at the beginning of the film, which Disney ultimately did not include.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom