Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Kate F

Disney is going to take it out Old Yeller style with both barrels.
That’s the thing, for me it’s not just the fact that the ride is slated to go, it’s that it’s going to go on a sour note with a negative rep attached to it. You look at other closed rides and they’re remembered fondly. If Splash has to close, I’d at least want it to close on a high.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Disney usually does something to cash in on attractions that are about to be removed. I'd be very surprised if they leave money on the table. Expect exclusive merchandise and an up-charge event.
But why would they want to make money off a problematic ride? In fact, why again is the ride even open?! If it's sooo problematic for the future, why am I able to ride it in the present?? I have yet to hear one good response to that question because Disney's reasoning for replacing the ride is full of 💩

Sharon&Susan

I'm imagining something similar to what they did with the GMR's merchandise where they were all just the logo instead of referencing anything actually inside the ride.

Just replace the logo with "image of the mountain" for Splash and that'll be it.

October82

But why would they want to make money off a problematic ride?

Because they want to make money? There's nothing inconsistent about viewing Splash Mountain as a longterm liability for the brand and also being willing to make as much money as possible from its closing.

In fact, why again is the ride even open?! If it's sooo problematic for the future, why am I able to ride it in the present?? I have yet to hear one good response to that question because Disney's reasoning for replacing the ride is full of 💩

Splash Mountain, for better or worse, is closely connected to racialized stereotypes. That's a problem for the brand longterm, not an immediate source of harm or controversy.

Kate F

Because they want to make money? There's nothing inconsistent about viewing Splash Mountain as a longterm liability for the brand and also being willing to make as much money as possible from its closing.

Splash Mountain, for better or worse, is closely connected to racialized stereotypes. That's a problem for the brand longterm, not an immediate source of harm or controversy.
Is this really how Splash is going to be remembered in the future?

Kate F

I'm imagining something similar to what they did with the GMR's merchandise where they were all just the logo instead of referencing anything actually inside the ride.

Just replace the logo with "image of the mountain" for Splash and that'll be it.
I feel like they’re not even gonna do that. They clearly don’t care about Splash fans.

el_super

There's a difference between vague thematic connections to Disney properties, and book report storytelling aimed at selling Disney+ subscriptions. Perhaps one of quality if not always of quantity.

Where does the 20k exhibit fall on that spectrum? That book report on the Jules Verne movie was the most popular attraction in Tomorrowland for 11 years.

October82

Where does the 20k exhibit fall on that spectrum? That book report on the Jules Verne movie was the most popular attraction in Tomorrowland for 11 years.

As I said, there's a distinction between quality and quantity. Tomorrowland was never "Jules Verne movie book report land". Disney's commitment to and use of IP has varied over time, sometimes taking the best studio IPs and doing new things with them, sometimes doing entirely original projects. I don't think you can argue that what we're seeing today isn't a departure from what Disney has done historically, even if you can argue that it has antecedents throughout Disney's history.

October82

Is this really how Splash is going to be remembered in the future?

I have to leave it up to people who are more connected to the attraction than I am to decide what its legacy will be. If I were to guess, this debate will probably overshadow the attraction itself.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

1. Oh so they are not doing this because they really find it problematic because if you did you wouldn't make money off it

2. if the ride is problematic for the future it has to be problematic now or else why replace it? so you are saying its ok for it to be open now and for people to be offended by it now. To hell with the people of the present being hurt. that's their reasoning for changing it right? If its soo offensive then they should not have reopened it in any park after a year of closure.

October82

1. Oh so they are not doing this because they really find it problematic because if you did you wouldn't make money off it.

Disney is a company, not a person. It doesn't find things problematic or not problematic. Its lawyers and strategic planners make decisions that they think will produce the most shareholder value. Splash is a risk, and not one they (apparently) think is worth continuing to take.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Disney is a company, not a person. It doesn't find things problematic or not problematic. Its lawyers and strategic planners make decisions that they think will produce the most shareholder value. Splash is a risk, and not one they (apparently) think is worth continuing to take.
So Disney doing the changes for altruistic reasons is just b.s. and they are changing a all time great ride for no good reason other than to appear to be 'PASSIVE PROGRESSIVE' like I have been saying since the start? Got it.

Kate F

If they won’t even restock merch now, what makes you think they’ll do it when they want to have a last farewell? They’re probably just going to let the ride die with no fanfare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom