Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Rich T

Splash Mountain is not promoting song of the south. at this point the movie and ride are two very different things.
They were. Then social media happened. And, I’m sorry, but selling SotS character plushies counts as promoting (and profitting from) SotS.

Can you imagine if Disneyland had a Gone With The Wind Tilt-a-Whirl with an AA Scarlet O’Hara in the middle singing “Tomorrow’s Another Day”, and they were selling porcelain Scarlets and people were trying to say the ride had nothing to do with the film and Disney should never, ever retheme that precious Tilt-A-Whirl?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

They were. Then social media happened. And, I’m sorry, but selling SotS character plushies counts as promoting (and profitting from) SotS.

Can you imagine if Disneyland had a Gone With The Wind Tilt-a-Whirl with an AA Scarlet O’Hara in the middle singing “Tomorrow’s Another Day”, and they were selling porcelain Scarlets and people were trying to say the ride had nothing to do with the film and Disney should never, ever retheme that precious Tilt-A-Whirl?
Incorrect. Do those Plushies have tags on them that say "Song of the South" or do they have tags promoting it is from "Splash Mountain"? It's the latter. Kids today wouldn't know what the hell "Song of the South" is. They just know the characters from "Splash". The ride is sooo far removed from the movie the characters at this point are more well known for the ride than some unreleased obscure film from the 1940's. Nice try but, no.

Last edited:

Rich T

All that changing Splash will do is get more people talking about why they think it was changed, which will do even more to add to the myth of Song of the South.
Disagree. Splash Mtn. Is popular with the GP because it’s got a log flume with drops. It could be themed to That Darn Cat and it would still be popular.

It will remain popular after the retheme, and eventually most visitors will just assume it was always a PatF ride.

How many average visitors to Epcot do you think care that Frozen used to be Maelstrom?

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Disagree. Splash Mtn. Is popular with the GP because it’s got a log flume with drops. It could be themed to That Darn Cat and it would still be popular.

It will remain popular after the retheme, and eventually most visitors will just assume it was always a PatF ride.

How many average visitors to Epcot do you think care that Frozen used to be Maelstrom?
Oh I totally disagree with that. The theme of that log flume is what makes it work not that it is a log flume in and of itself.

Rich T

Incorrect. Do those Plushies have tags on them that say "Song of the South" or do they have tags promoting it is from "Splash Mountain"? its the latter. Kids today wouldn't know what the hell "Song of the South" is. They just know the characters from "Splash". The ride is sooo far removed from the movie the characters at this point or more well known for the ride than some unreleased obscure film from the 1940's. Nice try but, no.
I stand by my “incorrect” defense of the retheme. Mainly because I really do think the Gone With the Wind comparison is worrh a thought.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I stand by my “incorrect” defense of the retheme. Mainly because I really do think the Gone With the Wind comparison is worrh a thought.
It's really not. Because Splash Mountain is not 'Song of the South: The Ride". If so there would be Remus and that whiny little boy in it and that sweet milf plantation mom of his. No, its focus is telling the story of Br'er Rabbit and is done soo charmingly to perfection. No one would go on 'GONE WITH THE WIND: THE RIDE' even if it was a log flume. Your comparison is flawed.

Rich T

Oh I totally disagree with that. The theme of that log flume is what makes it work not that it is a log flume in and of itself.
The jolly music and mood shifts along the course absolutely make it special, but that’s not why most people get in line. Another IP done just as well would have the same effect. PatF is a perfect choice. If they mess it up, that’s another story.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The jolly music and mood shifts along the course absolutely make it special, but that’s not why most people get in line. Another IP done just as well would have the same effect. PatF is a perfect choice. If they mess it up, that’s another story.
I disagree. Is Splash Mountain the only log flume ride in the world? Nope. There are others. But are there ones more iconic and memorable than Splash? Of course not. No one ever has and no one ever will. Because they are all lacking that 1 thing that makes Splash soo special.

Animaniac93-98

I liked the idea of having Leonard Maltin introduce the ride.

"Hello, I'm Leonard Maltin and it's my pleasure to welcome you to Splash Mountain...

But I'm afraid we don't have much time, so I'm going cut right to the chase,

Br'er Rabbit needs your help! Now we've just received an urgent message from Br'er Rabbit's teacher Mr. Bluebird, calling for Br'er Rabbit to come home right away. You see a big problem has developed far away in Br'er Rabbit's home of the Briar Patch. Br'er Rabbit's friends are in danger because their home is dying.

Remember what Br'er Rabbit's friends look like, because it's going to be up to you to help Br'er Rabbit find them once we get him home and there's not a moment to lose. Because only Br'er Rabbit's magic healing touch can save his friends and bring his home back to health.

Br'er Rabbit must go home and only you can help him.

You and Br'er Rabbit will be making your journey on these logs, but don't worry you don't have to paddle. But you will need a Laughing Place Passport, so before you leave with Br'er Rabbit tell your first name to one of our Cast Members and they'll give you your pass.

Sounds like Br'er Rabbit is ready to go, so good luck everyone. And remember Br'er Rabbit is counting on you and so am I. It's up to you to save his home so he can visit us again."

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

"Hello, I'm Leonard Maltin and it's my pleasure to welcome you to Splash Mountain...

But I'm afraid we don't have much time, so I'm going cut right to the chase,

Br'er Rabbit needs your help! Now we've just received an urgent message from Br'er Rabbit's teacher Mr. Bluebird, calling for Br'er Rabbit to come home right away. You see a big problem has developed far away in Br'er Rabbit's home of the Briar Patch. Br'er Rabbit's friends are in danger because their home is dying.

Remember what Br'er Rabbit's friends look like, because it's going to be up to you to help Br'er Rabbit find them once we get him home and there's not a moment to lose. Because only Br'er Rabbit's magic healing touch can save his friends and bring his home back to health.

Br'er Rabbit must go home and only you can help him.

You and Br'er Rabbit will be making your journey on these logs, but don't worry you don't have to paddle. But you will need a Laughing Place Passport, so before you leave with Br'er Rabbit tell your first name to one of our Cast Members and they'll give you your pass.

Sounds like Br'er Rabbit is ready to go, so good luck everyone. And remember Br'er Rabbit is counting on you and so am I. It's up to you to save his home so he can visit us again."
can he still be attacked by the Gremlins from Gremlins 2 on the ride? Gremlins take Splash Mountain.

1624671960577.png

No Name

My wife buys custom enamel pins from artists all the time and fills her Ita bags with Star Wars-related ones. Pins like these are a great way for artists to sell their work in away that's both fun and generates more exposure in certain fandoms because pins can be worn or used as decorations on bags, etc. They're super popular because con-goers get to show the art and their own fandoms off. Nothing sad about it at all, just folks having fun and supporting artists they like!

This comment reminds me of this particular piece of art I saw last year shortly after the announcement. There's actually quite a bit of work out there like this.

View attachment 565745

While we're on the topic of pins, artwork and Splash/PatF, I came across this official Walt Disney Imagineering pin on eBay:

View attachment 565746View attachment 565747

..perhaps there may be something to WDI having considered this overhaul before last year? Certainly seems to have crossed their minds.
Does the pin or packaging or anything have a year on it anywhere? Does it say on eBay what year it’s from. I’m surprised it exists and curious when it was made.

Rich T

I disagree. Is Splash Mountain the only log flume ride in the world? Nope. There are others. But are there ones more iconic and memorable than Splash? Of course not. No one ever has and no one ever will. Because they are all lacking that 1 thing that makes Splash soo special.
Consider that if you had grown up with a Splash Mountain themed (equally well) to Robin Hood or The Rescuers, you probably would love it just as much.

DavidDL

Does the pin or packaging or anything have a year on it anywhere? Does it say on eBay what year it’s from. I’m surprised it exists and curious when it was made.

According to PinPics, it released Oct. 4th 2010. Limited Edition of 300 and was WDI exclusive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom