Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

Disaster isn't the most popular attraction, but I'm a fan. It was better as Earthquake. Caught me off guard the first time I was on it, lol. I really thought we were in trouble, lol.

I don't know about King Kong. Have to see. Disaster will be easier to part with than Amity & Jaws.
I thought Disaster was one of the most amazing attractions I had ever been too. Live actors interacting with hologram in perfect synchronization kept my jaw dropped the entire show. It was basically the same show as Earthquake, but, as they would say in Imagineering, they managed to plus it, very impressively.

stlphil

Since people have mentioned Tiki Room, a stray musing...

So, Country Bear Jamboree was developed for Mineral King, yes? The idea being that MK was not just going to be a ski resort, but a Disney ski resort, which offered world-class, technologically advanced entertainment in addition to great skiing.

Now that Disney is building resorts that aren't attached to theme parks, was there any consideration given to adapting this model to, say, Aulani? Wouldn't a modified Tiki Room, with an extended show that ran for a few performances a night, be nice counter-programming to the same Luau that you'll find at every resort on Oahu?

I tend to think that this is the sort of thing which would give Disney a comparative advantage over other resorts in the area.

Obviously it would be somewhat difficult to maintain AAs, considering they can barely do it in places where lots of AAs are heavily concentrated. But I wish P&R had pursued it

This is really an intriguing suggestion, but there may be several reasons they wouldn't pursue it, even beyond the $$$ of course.

First, frankly I'm not sure Aulani needs it. There already is really nothing like it on Oahu, and maybe only a couple of similar places on Maui or the Big Island. Believe it or not, due to this Aulani is a big draw for Oahu locals, at least it was when we were there. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, special locals' rates. Second, at least according to a (non-Disney) bus driver I was talking to, inter-island hopping for locals is way way down due to greatly increased air fares and the death of the ferry. So if you want that get-away-from-it-all bigger than life resort experience, on Oahu Aulani is by far your best choice.

Also, there was a lot of local political opposition to Aulani due to fears that it would be too Disneyfied, and plans to include a Tiki Room like show would have only made things worse. Of course, as it turned out Aulani may be the most Hawaiian of the big resorts, which is a big part of its charm. You are immersed in its Hawaiian story (not plot) and being there makes you want to learn more about the Islands.

Finally, they compete with all the other Luau shows in a very non-modern-Disney way. Although there is no meal associated with the show (no big loss in my opinion) and it is on a smaller scale, the show itself is free. It is so popular, they are moving it to a bigger venue.

By the way, as you can probably tell, I am a huge fan of the place. It feels like the old Disney of not settling for "good enough", of plussing things wherever you look, and great immersiveness. Plus you are in Hawaii, so what's not to like?

Clever Name

This is really an intriguing suggestion, but there may be several reasons they wouldn't pursue it, even beyond the $$$ of course.
They did investigate the possibility of putting a Tiki Room show at Aulani. They discovered that a large number of the Aulani guests are retired people. The cost for insurance to protect TWDC from boring all these older people to death with a Tiki Room show was just out of the question.

luv

I thought Disaster was one of the most amazing attractions I had ever been too. Live actors interacting with hologram in perfect synchronization kept my jaw dropped the entire show. It was basically the same show as Earthquake, but, as they would say in Imagineering, they managed to plus it, very impressively.
I've often told people about how you can see a hologram at Uni. I swear, one day I'll be telling my grandchildren how they weren't anywhere, back in the day, and how I'd seen the idea in movies only, but saw my first one at Uni. :)

That hologram was a big deal for me!

It still impresses me.

Clever Name

I've often told people about how you can see a hologram at Uni. I swear, one day I'll be telling my grandchildren how they weren't anywhere, back in the day, and how I'd seen the idea in movies only, but saw my first one at Uni. :)

It still impresses me.
Me too! I'm looking forward to a Tupac Tiki Room show at the MK one day. :)

Goofyernmost

It still impresses me.
Luv...I don't see how it wouldn't impress anyone that sees it unless they don't realize that it is a hologram and that the actor is playing along side it. What a tremendous feat of choreography, timing and creativity. It was basically seamless. The part that impressed me the most was the handing over of the book behind the podium. I was almost convinced that it was a film alone, but if that were true the actor would have to run some very long days and be in more then one place at a time. I liked King Kong and I don't really mind if they bring it back, but, I do so hate to see Disaster go.

Reactions: luv

disney fan 13

Luv...I don't see how it wouldn't impress anyone that sees it unless they don't realize that it is a hologram and that the actor is playing along side it. What a tremendous feat of choreography, timing and creativity. It was basically seamless. The part that impressed me the most was the handing over of the book behind the podium. I was almost convinced that it was a film alone, but if that were true the actor would have to run some very long days and be in more then one place at a time. I liked King Kong and I don't really mind if they bring it back, but, I do so hate to see Disaster go.

I love the ride as well, but once you ride it 2-4 times you'll become tired of it, it is time. (especially if KONG IS BACK!!!)

Goofyernmost

I love the ride as well, but once you ride it 2-4 times you'll become tired of it, it is time. (especially if KONG IS BACK!!!)
Yea, I know and I'm not really against it. It's just that last January was the very first time I saw the Disaster. The last time I was there it was Earthquake. I hadn't been back to Uni in quite a while. I will probably will only have gotten to see it once.:(

What really confused me when I was there was that I was sure that the building where Disaster is housed was the original show building for King Kong. Then I got to the end and there was the subway station. I figured they wouldn't have moved the whole thing just for fun. I must have just been remembering incorrectly.

Computer Magic

Wow, that is all just frickin' amazing...I never got to ride the original Kong ride, although I've seen videos...Disney's gotta be shedding a few sweat beads over this news...
Seems Comcast is doing today what Frank and Eisner did when they took over Disney, Bringing new life into the parks. Quite the opposite of what Iger is doing for WDW. The Internet has never got to enjoy a massive WDW overhaul, it would be nice to witness.

Yensid1974

So, with all the seemingly disappointing rumors coming out about a lack of announcements at D23....what does the Spirit see as the most likely scenario for upcoming attractions announcements?

MerlinTheGoat

I'm wondering this myself. @WDW1974 Now a ton more sources have "confirmed" that Disney isn't going to have anything new to announce at D23, what does this mean for the leaked attraction roster about Star Wars and Cars? Or are those sources simply wrong and they still are going ahead with a full on announcement at D23?

It seems like a really terrible business move to leak and tease a massive announcement and then backpedal and not announce anything. Hyping up the fans only to show them nothing is a fantastic way to incite the fanbase and lose potential customers.

StageFrenzy

Yea, I know and I'm not really against it. It's just that last January was the very first time I saw the Disaster. The last time I was there it was Earthquake. I hadn't been back to Uni in quite a while. I will probably will only have gotten to see it once.:(

What really confused me when I was there was that I was sure that the building where Disaster is housed was the original show building for King Kong. Then I got to the end and there was the subway station. I figured they wouldn't have moved the whole thing just for fun. I must have just been remembering incorrectly.

Kong was were mummy is. I still remember going to the HHN when they let you walk along the street of Kong.

AEfx

Intriguing! I could def get behind that, and I even like Disaster with all its cheesy goodness. (Was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it in Feb. It might have been because I've never seen a CM with that much enthusiasm at any park, Uni, Disney, or otherwise before. She deserved a raise). They could do so much with the tech available these days. Not to mention its a classic Universal movie so hard to get upset about it coming back.

I wish there was a way they could combine both the existing subway "ride" portion with the new Kong attraction. I am so pleased a Kong attraction is coming, but on the other hand, it will likely be a screen-experience like USH, and seeing another opening attraction leaving after losing Kong and Jaws, so it doesn't have me dancing on rooftops or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom