Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Goofyernmost

If Disney realizes there's a concern with CMs having access to children that they didn't have before, then I'd suggest you're flat out out of touch with the reality.

Disney doesn't have cameras everywhere and those cameras are only going to help if someone grabs a child in view of one.

Disney doesn't (or hasn't explained) how it will prevent someone from molesting Billy when he's all alone in his room at PO with the rest of his family taking the Wild Africa Trek and 'pinged' into the system.

Technology ALWAYS raises dangers that weren't there before. Parents today have to worry about a child being in the grip of a predator when they are sitting six feet away due to the Internet.

If you can track people, then you can use that tracking to harm them. It is simple common sense. You haven't heard Disney say that scenario is impossible, have you? That's because it isn't.
As usual, you are entitled to your opinion, but I feel that it is blown way out of proportion with the actual threat. I don't know if Disney realizes there's a concern with CM's having access, because I'm not convinced that there is any difference now then there was before. I'm not even sure that it is a reality, but you seem pretty convinced. It's always the children isn't it? Where are the parents of these alleged children while in a public theme park. Why would there be anymore threat to kids from a CM then there is from any other predator. If you wanted to "grab" a child, why would you need all that high tech crap to do it with. Wouldn't you just wander the park and wait for your best opportunity or is it because as a predator you only want to grab a kid named Billy and not any other random child? How would the person monitoring the information board know if Billy was actually in the room or if it was just his wrist band that he took off and went someplace other then a park with his parents. What guarantee is there that the victim would even be there? And Parents wouldn't have to be concerned about them in the grip of a predator when they are sitting six feet away if the parent were paying attention to their child and knew what they were doing.

Every system, including absolutely no system, always has a risk because most predators do not work in a convenient little box. They work under the guise of secrecy and having access to a system like we are talking about is hardly going to be a secret. In fact, it would put them on the front line of suspect.

My car is constantly tracked by "Onstar" and no one yet has tried to steal it even though there are a group of people, other then myself, that know exactly where to find it. They even know how to unlock the doors and take whatever they want. We cannot protect ourselves from the world around us and advance paranoia is not going to alter anything and if you think that there is anything in this proposal that make the world a any more unsafe, then I'd suggest you're flat out out of touch with the reality.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As usual, you are entitled to your opinion, but I feel that it is blown way out of proportion with the actual threat. I don't know if Disney realizes there's a concern with CM's having access, because I'm not convinced that there is any difference now then there was before. I'm not even sure that it is a reality, but you seem pretty convinced. It's always the children isn't it? Where are the parents of these alleged children while in a public theme park. Why would there be anymore threat to kids from a CM then there is from any other predator. If you wanted to "grab" a child, why would you need all that high tech crap to do it with. Wouldn't you just wander the park and wait for your best opportunity or is it because as a predator you only want to grab a kid named Billy and not any other random child? How would the person monitoring the information board know if Billy was actually in the room or if it was just his wrist band that he took off and went someplace other then a park with his parents. What guarantee is there that the victim would even be there? And Parents wouldn't have to be concerned about them in the grip of a predator when they are sitting six feet away if the parent were paying attention to their child and knew what they were doing.

Every system, including absolutely no system, always has a risk because most predators do not work in a convenient little box. They work under the guise of secrecy and having access to a system like we are talking about is hardly going to be a secret. In fact, it would put them on the front line of suspect.

My car is constantly tracked by "Onstar" and no one yet has tried to steal it even though there are a group of people, other then myself, that know exactly where to find it. They even know how to unlock the doors and take whatever they want. We cannot protect ourselves from the world around us and advance paranoia is not going to alter anything and if you think that there is anything in this proposal that make the world a any more unsafe, then I'd suggest you're flat out out of touch with the reality.

I agree. Here's my understanding of how the technology works. If I'm wrong i'm sure someone more knowledgeable can correct this. The wristbands are not GPS enabled. Even if a CM or hacker accessed the system illegally the system cannot tell them where a person is "real time". It can tell them where the nearest censor was that the person passed by and what time it could also tell them when little Billy opened the door to his room (assuming Billy used his band and not mom's, dad's or big bros). If little Billy then left the room there is no way for the system to know this. You scan your wristband to get in to your room not to get out. Forget about the question of why little Billy was left in the room alone, I'm not sure how a predator could know Billy was still in the room and alone. I have young kids and their safety is obviously very important to me, but I'm not too worried about this system being used for that reason.

Lil Fort

I think many share your concerns, but I also think they are keeping this in mind while building the new system(s).

I'm pretty sure they know that not everybody will want to plan out their trip in this way, and so far ahead. They understand that some will buy their tickets and begin planning their trip for a year from now, and that some will buy tickets for next month, next week, or even tomorrow and choose to do very little planning. But, I promise you, they know this already (or they should), and will make provisions for it in the new system. How do I know this? Well, in truth, I don't really, but based on deductive reasoning (plus Disney's history with how they treat guests), and reading of the patents they've filed, I know one of their primary objectives in this is to improve the guest experience and reduce the amount of time they have to wait in lines. So, in order to meet that, they must have a full understanding (input variables) of when guests plan their trips, or even IF they choose to plan, and then figure all of that into the formula for availability and scheduling (output). If they don't do it on the first round (v1/beta), they (and smart guests) will quickly learn that the system can be gamed and advanced FP+s can be obtained, leaving none for the day, thus leading to a LOT of unhappy guests left standing in long lines, which more or less negates the whole purpose of the system. Make sense? Or am I being too rational and maybe maybe a bit naive?

BTW: If you can't tell, I'm a software developer... ;)
Nope... If you were really a software developer you would have explained that using terms like recursion and multiple inheritance... :p

Disneyhead'71

WRONG!

That is from 2010. Stop spreading false stuff.
Sorry, I didn't check the date. My mistake. I heard "Celebration...Murder" in my ear piece this morning and did a quick search and that is what I came up with. This is actually the story they were talking about:

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...icles/cfn/2013/1/25/jury_finds_man_guilt.html

That is what I get for doing a quick search and posting in a hurry while trying to work at 4:30am. I should know better.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's the only thing you're going to respond to? Priceless.

the rest really wasn't all that worthy of conversation IMO.. but if you insist..

- No I don't have anything to do with this project or anyone involved in it
- I'm not defending how much money is tied up in it - the longer I work in big companies the more numb I become to the incredible inefficiencies that make them bleed tens of millions in tasks that should take fractions of that. No amount of criticism solves these fundamental cultural @%K ups and it's not an interesting conversation to me to rehash just how bad these companies are at this.
- I wasn't defending the money - but countering the petty arguments of how whatever we hate today represents the entire spend.

And Flynn, if you think the BoD is going to be anxious to throw any money WDW's way for anything after spending well over $2 billion so far on NEXT GEN, Fantasyland and AoA in the past few years, you have no idea how that company operates.

They will continue to spend money.. and people will continue to complain they aren't spending money where they think they should. How many restaurants have been gutted and rebuilt in the last 3 years? Why aren't we screaming about the tens of millions spent there that could have been spent on SQ or upkeep? There have been two interactive games done.. and numerous other projects all over already.

And we're we just talking about Carsland coming to DHS? That was discussed with the full knowledge of NextGen in the pipe too.. oh and Avatarland too.

From what you have said - spend is way beyond what they have expected. But I don't think this is going under anyone's radar. No department manages to find an extra 500+ million dollars in cash without the finance guys stepping in. Will this derail future spending? I don't know enough about TWDC to say.. but I also know they can't just stop entirely and have shown in the past they will suck up losses if they have to (EuroDisney). So while it may not be a renaissance.. its not gonna go dark either.

flynnibus

Premium Member
While that may be your opinion, I don't see this playing out that same way.

This is Disney and this is marketing and tracking children.

If you think that Zenia's team will be able to blow Markey's letter off and that will be the end of it, then I think you need to get up from the keyboard once in a while and get some fresh air.

Markey's little privacy group isn't a committee - and it's my understanding they don't have subpoena power because of that (but I am not 100% on that). The moves he is making are SOP for him and not some sign of 'Disney being outted' or something like that. They'll respond, maybe Markey will like the responses or not.. and then keep harassing through other means. But people on this thread have acted like someone just got served and Disney is shaking in their boots top to bottom. I don't believe it...

Disneyhead'71

I dont care about people visiting Uni, doesnt bother me, why should it. My reason for posting is the annoying way they throw it out there like they are changing the rotation of the earth because they are doing it.
Rotation of the earth, no. Profit margins of "The World", yes.

And to answer the best Universal centric forum out there is http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/forum.php

awoogala

Markey's little privacy group isn't a committee - and it's my understanding they don't have subpoena power because of that (but I am not 100% on that). The moves he is making are SOP for him and not some sign of 'Disney being outted' or something like that. They'll respond, maybe Markey will like the responses or not.. and then keep harassing through other means. But people on this thread have acted like someone just got served and Disney is shaking in their boots top to bottom. I don't believe it...

I'd have to agree with that. One congressman making a huff does not equal an investigation. Also, considering when the biometrics hullabaloo with disney occurred, it was also hinted at (not sure if proven), that the u.s. government actually came and studied Disney's use of biometrics. I don't see the government truly doing more than making a bit of noise about it.

BigThunderMatt

I don't know enough about TWDC to say.. but I also know they can't just stop entirely and have shown in the past they will suck up losses if they have to (EuroDisney). So while it may not be a renaissance.. its not gonna go dark either.

DLP was different. They'd made a big scene about that park opening, they were not going to let it fail. WDWs current state of existence and whether or not its usage of CapEx in relation to NextGen can not be compared. If NextGen fails spectacularly it will not even be a blip on the radar of 99% of Disney's park goers. Why on earth would they eat NextGen's losses to gain new attractions if most of the GP doesn't give a flying flip on whether or not it succeeds? Seems to me the smart thing would be to not spend any excess cash outside of NextGen for at least it's break-in period (which could easily be a number of years).

Disneyhead'71

I live in an apartment complex that is about half CMs. I am also a single parent and sole custodian of 2 daughters aged 12 & 16. I do have concerns how much of my kids info these neighbors of mine will have access to.

BigThunderMatt

Obviously you have not otherwise you would make a valid argument instead of sounding like someone who has no clue what he/she is talking about.

Hey I guess on my Birthday I can just walk into Alinea in shorts and ask to be seated because hey its my birthday right? How about Victoria & Alberts? Year sorry but your snarky, childish response proves my point and I do not believe you lived in Chicago at all. If you did you would know that unless you walked in at 11 am or Noon you would never be able to eat dinner without a very very very long wait

I'm sorry. Did you just call @ParentsOf4 a liar? You must be new. Go sit at the kids table honey, the grown ups have important grown up things to talk about.

Californian Elitist

No way! Your experiences are way more valid because you live in LA. I've only been maybe a handful of times for business and had restaurants picked out for me ... I just have this image of LA being more snooty about reservations.

I'm getting ready to use California hipster language. Dude... Spain is WAY more gnarly than LA! Come on now! Spain, LA. Spain wins, no doubt. I'd love to visit Spain.

I've never come across a snooty host/hostess but you have to know how to handle situations like that, just in case LOL.

We shouldn't have to explain to you the difference between 30mins and 6 months. No one is saying waiting is intolerable - you're missing the point that walk-ups are more often than not, not an option at all. So it's ADR or move along.

But none of this is news to you.. so I don't want to feed the monster anymore. I'll wait for the circle of life to complete itself here in a day or two..

The point im making is that restaurants all over the country and world take reservations that far in advance. Some dont allow walk ins. I have never had to wait longer than 90 minutes at a Disney restaurant.

I would have no problem if I got turned away because I dont have an ADR. I made the mistake of not making reservations, that problem is my fault not Disney's

Like the last time I was at DHS and EVERY table service restaurant was half empty and all had closed the walk up option because they didn't have the staff to serve anyone else. It is really annoying to be turned away from EVERY SINGLE FRICKIN' restaurant in the park when they were literally half full, I mean 15 empty tables right at the window empty, because the refuse to properly staff them. We simply left the park (ANGRY) and went to Morton's and dropped $300 for fine dinner.

That is something that needs to be worked on, which is what I said. Just because there are open tables you cant just fill them. They need a better way to set up the staff rotation.

tomman710

LIAR. Alinea does not take same day reservations. You need to try again. You have officially be outed as a liar. Failure
I still love how you actually tried to say you walked into Alinea...you do know that restaurant is prepay restaurant? You do know they cater the menu to each person? Let me guess you dont even know the Chef who opened it?

"EXCEPT for David Chang's ... and yes that includes Alinea" ... I was supporting your claim that Alinea was not a day of reservation place.

Grant Achatz.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree it could/should just blow over, but still it's real bad PR. If someone in Congress is investigating this even if its only 1 guy and it ends up blowing over Disney still probably has a problem on their hands. They are now put in a position to defend this project and maybe with lawyers. It's one thing when some random fans complain about this on a website like this with limited reach but this is already getting legit media attention. If I were running the company I wouldn't be worried about the privacy laws but rather the potential PR hit.

and how bad was the PR hit for any of these companies?
Acxiom
Epsilon (Alliance Data Systems)
Equifax
Experian
Harte-Hanks
Intelius
FICO
Merkle
Meredith Corp
So bad.. that before today you probably had not even heard Markey singled them out too?
We are in a transition period.. during which there is always speculation and media can go up or down on the speculation. Are they excited or worried? Are the painting gloom or sunshine? This stuff happens to everyone.. be it a new Movie.. or Apple's new toy.
I'd be more worried once Disney actually rolls out the programs.. the info is out there.. and then people are still unhappy.
Disney took YEARS of flak over the biometrics system. I doubt it ever really kept people away...

Disneyhead'71

But hey who cares about the people who planned their vacation out they are not as important as some random person who thinks Walk Ins should get special treatment over people who make reservations.
Yeah, that's what people are saying. Kick out those who have ADRs and wait for us walk-ups. You Betcha, Strawman. You're on to us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom