Spiderman Ride Layout

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
More informative layout:
1709526521233.png

Markiewong

Bingo! Case and point being that Disney is now putting all their eggs in the baskets of particular IP's that are great! However, they can't seem to leave good things alone and will beat down that IP and thus making a future expansion of it uninteresting and blah. Not a fan of Moana in EPCOT or whatever future expansion they have for it. But seems like they wasted their money and our time if the Disney+-to-theater Moana 2 movie tanks. Which it seems it's likely to do so. I can't really understand what their strategy is. The parks have become their bread and butter throughout the company but they are starting to pull their theatrical mishaps into the parks which seems like it'll have adverse effects.
Why did they waste their money if Moana 2 tanks? The original Moana doesn’t suddenly decline in popularity. IP-lands can stay popular regardless from the reception or longevity of the brand, as long as the theme itself is good enough.

Great example are the Potter lands. No matter how bad the new movies are or how badly Rowling demolishes the brand, the land is and always will be popular.

Consumer

Why did they waste their money if Moana 2 tanks? The original Moana doesn’t suddenly decline in popularity. IP-lands can stay popular regardless from the reception or longevity of the brand, as long as the theme itself is good enough.

Great example are the Potter lands. No matter how bad the new movies are or how badly Rowling demolishes the brand, the land is and always will be popular.
Which it’s not.

Vclguy90

Original Poster

Yea, what are you talking about? You are telling me that a land will have popularity even if the movie it's based off flops? That is absolutely not true. How do you you expect a land from a failing IP to draw people to the park if they didn't even like the movie?

Professortango1

Yea, what are you talking about? You are telling me that a land will have popularity even if the movie it's based off flops? That is absolutely not true. How do you you expect a land from a failing IP to draw people to the park if they didn't even like the movie?
A good experience is a good experience, regardless of IP. I love Guardians as a franchise, but think Mission BO is pretty mediocre. Spider-Man is fantastic, but the ride is not. No matter how much I love these IPs, it won't make me want to ride these sub-par rides any more.

The same goes got good attractions. Do I like The Secret Life of Pets? Not at all. Yet, I'll ride the darkride whenever I am at USO, because its a good ride. I hate Transformers, but I enjoy the ride.

I've always found the Harry Potter movies, okay-to-goodish, but I think Diagon Alley is the best theme park experience I have encountered.

Rides and movies are very different mediums, which is why the older attractions were so successful. The old FL rides weren't trying to re-tell the same story with similar beats, they were instead focusing on abstract ideas and emotions and tying it together with the IP. HM and POTC were not concerned with creating a narrative but rather a progression of moments.

From what I have read about the Atlantis Expedition that was once planned for Subs, that would have been an incredible success despite the film not being a runaway hit.

The problem is that modern Disney thinks IP first, and then tries to force a ride to fit it, most often doing a book report ride or a parade-style attraction like Frozen Ever After. With a parade attraction, we move through the parade while iconic characters wave and sing to us from themed platforms.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If this was true then none of the IP based attractions would be popular post-failures of any movie. For example did Indiana Jones popularity at DLR go down after Dial of Destiny failed, no it didn't.

As long as the land or attraction is well executed it'll be popular. Now some will debate that Avengers Campus isn't well executed, but that crowds indicate otherwise.

Which brings it back to the Avengers ride, its not going to be specifically tied to anything happening in the MCU. So as long as the experience is well executed it'll be popular, even if the MCU isn't.

PiratesMansion

While I couldn't care less about anything going on in AC, it has appeared plenty popular and full of people each time I've passed through.

Now, perhaps that will fade once the novelty wears off and if Marvel continues to lose relevance, but it's hardly a ghost town over there at the moment.

PiratesMansion

One other nice thing about AC: it's the one part of DCA that uses characters the way DL uses characters, which can give the place a sense of being lived in that the buildings alone do not provide.

Beyond AC, you might see the fab five by Carthay or Lightning/Mater in Cars Land, but otherwise DCA is comparatively lacking in wandering characters vs. the park next door.

MarvelCharacterNerd

This is Igers.
As CEO, of course. But Chapek headed up parks starting in 2015. And the land cutbacks at both DLR and WDW followed - from Star Wars to Marvel to Pixar - so perhaps team credit for that. Nowadays, a "new land" can be a rethemed food court with banners and a pop soundtrack and a meet & greet (which, I get, some may see Avengers Campus as just that though the character meets are better in Avengers Campus than anywhere else in DLR besides Fantasyland - though the food is better in San Fransokyo lol).

Last edited:

celluloid

As CEO, of course. But Chapek headed up parks starting in 2015. And the land cutbacks at both DLR and WDW followed - from Star Wars to Marvel to Pixar - so perhaps team credit for that. Nowadays, a "new land" can be a rethemed food court with banners and a pop soundtrack and a meet & greet (which, I get, some may see Avengers Campus as just that though the character meets are better in Avengers Campus than anywhere else in DLR besides Fantasyland - though the food is better in San Fransokyo lol).

Do you blame the huntsman or the wicked queen? You can blame both, but not only one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom