Spending Less with Disney

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, I figure, annually I’m at the $5k mark right now. Its money I used to spend with Disney that I no longer spend with Disney. It’s not an affordability thing, nor have I cut out any vacations. I just decided I want to limit the money I give to Disney as my way of a silent protest for the many “cash grabs” and dumb policy decisions they’ve made.

A lot of people take the “That’s it, I’m done with Disney” approach. My take is – I’ll still go, but I’m just going to give Disney a little less of my money. Sure, there’s a mindset that Disney doesn’t care and I’m easily replaceable. In most cases yes, in some, no. But it works for me.

As an example, I go to the Orlando area about every month for 3-5 nights. 7 of those visits were with Disney, on property at a Deluxe or Moderate. The rest are at Uni or the Uni area.

I’ve cut my on property stays from 7 down to 5. Instead I opt for places like Hilton Bonnet Creek, Hilton Orlando, maybe somewhere over on Palm Pkwy or Western Way if I’m using points. I’ve also cut out 1 TS dinner from every trip and opt to eat and spend an evening outside the “World” at places that IMO have better a quality (and I’m actually beginning to enjoy escaping the resort for a few hours). Might be cutting my on-property stays down to 4 soon.

Anybody else do this? If so, what part of your vacation dollar are you keeping away from Disney.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ouch.. you spend 10-15% of you life visiting the Orlando area..

I guess that's a line Disney must walk when raising prices, they upset people that literally go there all the time..

I'm semi-retired and an hour and a half away. I got a lot of time. Some people head to a cabin or condo once a month, I head to Orlando.

John park hopper

There are fix costs when going to WDW (on property resort fees, park tickets, resort parking fees). You can cut costs don't buy their merchandize, bring your own food for breakfast and lunch, bring your own water and snacks don't buy in the parks, eat dinner off site. If you drink alcohol bring your own. Buy discounted Disney gift cards. I'm not ready to call it quits just yet so this is what we did our last visit

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
When we lived in the Tampa area, we went a couple to several times per year. Now that we're no longer "Floridians," we originally wanted to go back at least once per year.

Now that Disney is getting super expensive, and after the huge mistake that is MDE, we're only going every few years.

And my goal now is to wait until 2023 or 4 until the Hoopla dies down.

Raineman

Nope but I absolutely love that you do this. People here get offended when you tell them exactly that. If a business or company displeases you STOP GIVING THEM YOUR MONEY.

There are places I have gone to that were terrible, why would I go back.
“I’m gonna spend thousands of dollars and go to WDW every year, but I ain’t gonna like it, and I’m gonna complain the whole time I’m there.” ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So, I figure, annually I’m at the $5k mark right now. Its money I used to spend with Disney that I no longer spend with Disney. It’s not an affordability thing, nor have I cut out any vacations. I just decided I want to limit the money I give to Disney as my way of a silent protest for the many “cash grabs” and dumb policy decisions they’ve made.

A lot of people take the “That’s it, I’m done with Disney” approach. My take is – I’ll still go, but I’m just going to give Disney a little less of my money. Sure, there’s a mindset that Disney doesn’t care and I’m easily replaceable. In most cases yes, in some, no. But it works for me.

As an example, I go to the Orlando area about every month for 3-5 nights. 7 of those visits were with Disney, on property at a Deluxe or Moderate. The rest are at Uni or the Uni area.

I’ve cut my on property stays from 7 down to 5. Instead I opt for places like Hilton Bonnet Creek, Hilton Orlando, maybe somewhere over on Palm Pkwy or Western Way if I’m using points. I’ve also cut out 1 TS dinner from every trip and opt to eat and spend an evening outside the “World” at places that IMO have better a quality (and I’m actually beginning to enjoy escaping the resort for a few hours). Might be cutting my on-property stays down to 4 soon.

Anybody else do this? If so, what part of your vacation dollar are you keeping away from Disney.

We were pretty religious about going 2-4 times per year with APs from my departure from the Orlando area (2001) through 2014-15. We are table service people who used to rotate all restaurants (v&A down to trails end) on rotation - often going more in the locations near where we were staying (primarily DVC) each trip. It was relaxing...it was easy...there was balance.

Now we have dropped a lot of the dining each trip...luckily the “ghost book” period ended and there is a lot of flexibility now...and often gravitate towards the non Disney run restaurants.

The tickets have gone up - no bs - over 100% in 15 years...more like 125-150...and that isn’t “inflation”. So now we do “off years”...trending toward “off 18 months”.

I estimate that Disney is loosing probably $3000 a year in aggregate on me...heavy one year and non-existent the next. It could be more - certainly possible.

Does it hurt them? No. It helps RCCL and a lot of other locations though...for sure.

When it will matter is during a recession. They will knock on my door then:..and I won’t be in a good mood. Reap what you sow, bobs

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
Now we have dropped a lot of the dining each trip...luckily the “ghost book” period ended and there is a lot of flexibility now...and often gravitate towards the non Disney run restaurants.

And, the quality of the Disney run joints just aren't what they used to be. I remember a day when the Disney Restaurants were among the best in Orlando. Nowadays I regularly eat at places outside the resort that are equal to if not better from a quality and value perspective. I'll still eat at them from a convenience standpoint but even IDrive has upped its game with places like Oceanaire, Del Frisco's and Fishbones - and even the comfort food (which is exactly my game) venues.

JIMINYCR

Good for you. If it makes you feel better thinking your cutting back on a couple of nights stays and TS is affecting Disney and being noticed as a protest against their " money grabs". But the reality is your $5k dollars held back from you is a drop in the bucket. Someone else is stepping up and paying out so that moneys not being missed. For it to be felt massive numbers of people would have to stop going to WDW for them to feel it... like the multitude of guests who stopped going after 911. But even then Disney came out with deals to entice people back. But it does feel good when you think youre sticking it to the Man. Disneys still winning.

Disstevefan1

It's clear you are not the average guest to WDW. In my opinion you are more hard core WDW fan and what I consider a local, yes a long drive, but still driving distance.

What I suspect would happen is happening. Universal/IOA is chipping away at the tourist dollar in central Florida. There is no actual threat to WDW, but Disney is reacting and it's all tourists who win.

For all of you WDW fans who refuse to give Universal/IOA a chance you should reconsider, Universal/IOA is great!

I also enjoy Seaworld, it's a lot of fun and it's a vacation from the crowds at WDW

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good for you. If it makes you feel better thinking your cutting back on a couple of nights stays and TS is affecting Disney and being noticed as a protest against their " money grabs". But the reality is your $5k dollars held back from you is a drop in the bucket. Someone else is stepping up and paying out so that moneys not being missed. For it to be felt massive numbers of people would have to stop going to WDW for them to feel it... like the multitude of guests who stopped going after 911. But even then Disney came out with deals to entice people back. But it does feel good when you think youre sticking it to the Man. Disneys still winning.

I love this and it always begs the question:
So you just go ahead and keep paying? The solution is to throw money at a public company run by soulless bastards?

Gotta be proud, Lem...

You have 2001 wrong by the way...the business was down at the BEGINNING of 2001...not just the end.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
It's clear you are not the average guest to WDW. In my opinion you are more hard core WDW fan and what I consider a local, yes a long drive, but still driving distance.

What I suspect would happen is happening. Universal/IOA is chipping away at the tourist dollar in central Florida. There is no actual threat to WDW, but Disney is reacting and it's all tourists who win.

For all of you WDW fans who refuse to give Universal/IOA a chance you should reconsider, Universal/IOA is great!

I also enjoy Seaworld, it's a lot of fun and it's a vacation from the crowds at WDW

Wouldn't generally disagree. I've got APs to Uni as well. Hit SeaWorld/Busch maybe two to three times a year. Orlando in general is picking up it's game. I'd spend 3 nights at the Hilton Orlando (which I think has the best pool in Orlando/LBV) and hang at IDrive eating fancy or "slumming" it (/sarc) with a Mountain Melt at the Ale House - and be perfectly fine.

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster

You miss the entire point. There's more to life than Disney. There's more to Orlando than Disney.

But on the money front. It's called EBITDA. And every dollar counts there. Disney projects spend. If enough spend less, then Disney makes money, but they don't necessarily win.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Erosion of market share is a good thing for the paying customers...

Granted - it’s not going to stop the “money grab” philosophy in the blue ocean - but at least they won’t charge us more while not spending a dime. Remember that Iger is a cheapskate on park money...he only has built when they thought they had a crisis on their hands and it might make his stock drop $0.25 a share...heaven forbid 😱

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I'm not "keeping my money from Disney" but rather I'm "keeping my money in general".
I don't have a problem with Disney. I love going and will continue to go but in general I don't spend a ton on extras because I don't feel the need.
Like I don't do tours, I don't go to parties within parties, I don't go to the water parks, I don't spend hundreds on souvenirs...
I'm mostly there for the theme parks and like experiencing the rides and shows and bringing away memories.
That way I have more money to spend on more trips vs fewer trips because I did a ton of extras.

As for going other places.... Been there done that nearly every year growing up. We drove down, stayed offsite, went to Disney, Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Silver Springs, Cypress Gardens, Homosassa Springs, Weeki Wachee Springs.... but honestly those were the glory days of most of those places so we don't bother much anymore.
If We drive we still like to stay onsite for the Disney portion and then maybe we'll go to a couple of off the beaten path things still like Homosassa Springs and Weeki Wachee Springs but places like Universal and Seaworld just don't do it for us.

CaptainAmerica

You miss the entire point. There's more to life than Disney. There's more to Orlando than Disney.

But on the money front. It's called EBITDA. And every dollar counts there. Disney projects spend. If enough spend less, then Disney makes money, but they don't necessarily win.
This is only true on things where there's excess capacity.

You cutting nights off of your vacation is irrelevant when rooms are near full capacity because somebody else is going to book those nights to replace you. Yes, every dollar counts, but what you're doing isn't costing them even a single dollar.

It's not even a "drop in the bucket' when there's a line of people behind you waiting to add their own drop to the bucket as soon as Disney loses yours.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is only true on things where there's excess capacity.

You cutting nights off of your vacation is irrelevant when rooms are near full capacity because somebody else is going to book those nights to replace you. Yes, every dollar counts, but what you're doing isn't costing them even a single dollar.

It's not even a "drop in the bucket' when there's a line of people behind you waiting to add their own drop to the bucket as soon as Disney loses yours.

It's funny how I used to think that too. But other than holiday weeks/weekends - More often than not, I've stayed at Disney resorts and passed by rooms that went completely unoccupied for my entire stay. Not disagreeing that my $ probably doesn't make a significant dent but I'm sure they'd have rather filled those rooms than having them go unoccupied.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom