SpectroMagic: The short term and long term future

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree. Me too, I liked Spectro a lot and have such good memories of it. But I think its good now to hold on to them memories because the marade would feel really outdated now. So much other great IP came out since that.
Spectro was as much about Disney - real Disney - than IP. Even Roger Rabbit was pulled early on.

I shudder to think what the Bobs would shove in today.

Last edited:

brb1006

Spectro was as much about Disney - real Disney - than IP. Even Roger Rabbit was pulled early on.

I shudder to think what the Bobs would shove in today.
Heck, the latest IP that was featured was The Little Mermaid. If a parade like that was made nowadays, it would find someway to shoehorn in any Pixar IPs and characters (looking at you PTN, where it was mostly Pixar focused). And no, Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights doesn't count since it was made during the Eisner era and able to balance both Disney and Pixar IPs without the other taking most of the spotlight.

Last edited:

brb1006

Yep. I'd say the same thing about Wishes--the IP was secondary to the magic of the show. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Disney knows how to create that kind of magic anymore.
That's another thing, designers and imagineers back in the day were more open-minded and creative which even extended to entertainment. When Spectromagic was in development, imagineers who worked on it described Spectro as "The anti-MSEP" (not in a bad way) since the parade had an original idea and an actual story. Even if guests aren't familar with the parade, they are able to put together what's going on. Compared to MSEP, where it was a series of Disney IPs going down the park.

Last edited:

TTA94

That's anything thing, designers and imagineers back in the day were more open-minded and creative which even extended to entertainment. When Spectromagic was in development, imagineers who worked on it described Spectro as "The anti-MSEP" (not in a bad way) since the parade had an original idea and like an actual story. Even if guests aren't familar with the parade, they are able to put together what's going on. Compared to MSEP, where it was a series of Disney IPs going down the park.

And wasn’t SpectroMagic and Fantillusion created by the same group of imagineers? Both parades I believe shared some similarities. Sadly Paris destroyed Fantillusion to I believe.

Parker in NYC

Heck, the entire parade actually has a backstory that very few visitors know about.

"The SpectroMen are keepers of light. They hold the parades magical light and transform it for you in the midst of the night. They come from a land called LightSpriation where everything is filled with rays of light and magical bursts of color. They were always afraid to come out of hiding and share their magical light, until one day, Mickey, the SpectroMen King, asked if they would join him in a nighttime festival of magic and light, and come and bring the magical light for everyone to see. Scared to confront people, they hesitated. After much consideration, the SpectroMen agreed. They brought along their magical SpectroBalls and Light-Trumpets to spread the joy of their magical light to everyone. Mickey controls the light they magically create and powers the parade through his Electro-ball, changing it from night to day, or crystal to multi-color."

This information was unearthed on April 2, 2008 from "The Site That Shall Not Be Named"
I’m also aware of Ted Bundy’s backstory but it doesn’t change my mind any!

Sthebest

It’s funny that I see this thread. I was just watching Family Matters (a 90s show) on Hulu and they have 2 back to back episodes where they go to Disney world. The 1st episode shows the older magic kingdom hub, innoventions and at the end of the episode, good ole Spectormagic!
Episode 2 shows the backlot tour, tower of terror and many more attractions of the Disney world of the 90s. It’s worth checking out.
If you want to check it out, it’s Season 6, episodes 22 and 23!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom