Spectators for Marathon

MrsPrice96

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
This year will be our first Disney Marathon Weekend. I will be a spectator for my daughter and husband who are doing the Marathon. Curious if anyone has any tips on being a spectator? Also- how do we park hop to the parks to see our runners if park hopping doesn't start until 2? TIA. :)

Rteetz

This year will be our first Disney Marathon Weekend. I will be a spectator for my daughter and husband who are doing the Marathon. Curious if anyone has any tips on being a spectator? Also- how do we park hop to the parks to see our runners if park hopping doesn't start until 2? TIA. :)
During the pre-park hours you do not need a park ticket to enter spectator areas. Once that park opens tho you do need a park ticket. The monorail will run during half and full days.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

From what LIMITED knowledge I have... there will be spectator areas near the start line - BUT - the spectator areas are a ways away so you really won't see anything + it'll be dark. My $.02 is take the monorail from Epcot to MK to watch your runner(s) go down main street - it's magical!

lukacseven

Spectators are allowed to enter MK and line up down Main Street, as well as the area in front of Cinderella Castle. This is because all runners must be completed that portion of the course prior to MK normal opening hours - so no admission is needed. Other parks will require admission if you want to see runners inside the parks. My advice is watch the start, then monorail to MK. You can see runner come down MS and then through the castle. After that, If you time it right, you may be able to make it to Polynesian and catch them along Floridian Way. From there, you're probably best just returning to Epcot and either entering the park to catch them coming around WS or just wait at the finish line. There are no longer viewing areas outside AK, due to the course changes. Best to stick with the official marathon busses, as they are given priority along any close routes and will get you there the fastest (of course, the monorail is also a great way). Uber/Lyft will get you stuck and sitting in traffic. Trying to catch runners inside AK will require park entry and will be cutting it close trying to get there from MK. There is no spectator area outside the park, as the course was modified in 2020 to include Blizzard Beach. You can also view runners as they exit DHS or anywhere along the Boardwalk or Y&BC Resorts, but will be unable to make it to the finish line in time from there. One possible factor I am not sure about is using the Skyliner. Not sure how or if that could work for marathon spectating.

Last edited:

OG Runner

Spectators are allowed to enter MK and line up down Main Street, as well as the area in front of Cinderella Castle. This is because all runners must be completed that portion of the course prior to MK normal opening hours - so no admission is needed. Other parks will require admission if you want to see runners inside the parks. My advice is watch the start, then monorail to MK. You can see runner come down MS and then through the castle. After that, If you time it right, you may be able to make it to Polynesian and catch them along Floridian Way. From there, you're probably best just returning to Epcot and either entering the park to catch them coming around WS or just wait at the finish line. There are no longer viewing areas outside AK, due to the course changes. Best to stick with the official marathon busses, as they are given priority along any close routes and will get you there the fastest (of course, the monorail is also a great way). Uber/Lyft will get you stuck and sitting in traffic. Trying to catch runners inside AK will require park entry and will be cutting it close trying to get there from MK. There is no spectator area outside the park, as the course was modified in 2020 to include Blizzard Beach. You can also view runners as they exit DHS or anywhere along the Boardwalk or Y&BC Resorts, but will be unable to make it to the finish line in time from there. One possible factor I am not sure about is using the Skyliner. Not sure how or if that could work for marathon spectating.

Hi. Where did you get this information? My understanding was that no spectators would be allowed. Prior years the only way to get into
the parks was to get the Chear Squad. I would be very happy if my significant other could see me at the Magic Kingdom but that was my understanding.

lukacseven

Post-COVID restrictions may have changed the spectator policies, but I was a marathon participant from 2006 through 2018 and during those years, MK was opened to spectators at 5:30 am (race start). Spectators were permitted along the west side of Main Street and in the area in front of the castle only and no park tickets were required to do so. Once the final runners had left the park, all spectators were cleared to prepare for park opening. Maybe this has changed since then. It's been a few years since I've run. Other parks did require admission because by the time runners would get to AK (the next park), it was during normal park hours. Spectators were never permitting inside Epcot for the 4 mile loop at the start.

lukacseven

Check the Digital Event Guide (online race program)...There is an entire section with a spectator guide:

1640190500014.png

Seems like spectators are allowed. Spectators who are in the park at 7:30 will be allowed to remain until the sweepers go through and they begin dismantling the ropes and preparing the park for guests/opening. They will clear the park of all non cast members prior to opening so they can clear the ropes, cones and clean any debris.

Last edited:

lukacseven

I just found out the same thing. Hate to say it but I got the news from DIS Boards and then confirmed it.
This is great!
It's tough as a runner to see family members at the start line - it's probably better to see them around mile 2.5 as you enter Epcot. If they catch the monorail after that, there is plenty of time to get to MK. If they wait for you in MK down in front of the castle, they will be able to see you coming down Main Street and then again coming through the castle - some great photo opportunities! A lot of people also stop on the sidewalk to the right side at the end of Main Street and you can get great photos with the castle in the background.

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes

This is helpful. First marathon for me and trying to gather info for wife and family. We are staying at Coronado Tower. How difficult do you think it will be for family to get along the course around MM 20 and 22 from the Coronado main parking lot?

OG Runner

This is helpful. First marathon for me and trying to gather info for wife and family. We are staying at Coronado Tower. How difficult do you think it will be for family to get along the course around MM 20 and 22 from the Coronado main parking lot?
I would look at the map and determine if they could walk. I do not think driving to that point of the race will be an option.
I do not think there is anywhere they could park.

MrsPrice96

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I did see the guide but they really don't talk about park hopping. The guide shows when we should be at each park based on our runner's pace but not possible if they do not allow park hopping before 2 pm. I asked a CM when I called about my reservation but they had no idea and started to give me the wrong information. I will ask at the Expo when we get there.

MrsPrice96

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Do they give the runners any food after the race? I saw on the map there is a food area but I am assuming that is for purchase before, during, and after the race. Trying to plan ahead.

Rundisneyprincess27

Do they give the runners any food after the race? I saw on the map there is a food area but I am assuming that is for purchase before, during, and after the race. Trying to plan ahead.
All runners get a RunDisney snack box,powerade/water bottles, and bananas (as far as I know) once they finish and walk through the finisher area where they get their medals.

lukacseven

Not difficult at all. The course goes right past the main entrance in front of the tower. I'm sure some spectators will gather there similar to the MK resort area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom