Special Agent Oso

French Quarter

My little one is only 15 months so hardly any TV for him yet. And we don't have cable so we are really out of the loop. All he watches is old Blue's Clues DVDs over and over. He loves Blue and I think it's just awesome! I wish it were still on the air and I wish it were Disney.

We did the Playhouse Disney attraction when we were there and also met Handy Manny and he thought that was pretty cool. However, when I looked up clips of these shows on YouTube, I thought they were pretty terrible. I am interested in the Play-n-Dine simply because it's geared toward the younger crowd. However, it will be closed when we're there next.

I thought I heard about Playhouse Disney being renamed and getting its own channel. Any truth to that? Maybe they'll add to the line-up and improve it, if that's the case.

ScorpionX

P & F are not really considered Playhouse Disney!

But yes, they are awesome... they need their own M&G, character meal, 3D show,... something!
In Disney-YouTube Studios Gemini, The Best of Phineas & Ferb in 3D will replace Beauty & the Beast -Live on Stage!.

jakeman

While acknowledging that Phineas and Ferb aren't Playhouse Disney, Disney is really moving slow on this goldmine.

My kid watches Disney XD religiously and Phineas and Ferb is one of the few shows the whole family will sit down and watch together.

We are taking him to WDW for the first time in about a month and I am nervous that the supposed center of the Disney universe won't acknowledge their latest hit.

I realize some of these series have a really short shelf life, but DHS really needs an Innoventions type area where the Disney Channel stuff can be swapped out easily. Disney is a leviathan when it comes to in park marketing of the Disney Channel.

If there is no P&F merchandise when we go they will be missing out on quite a bit of money from my family.

SoccerMickey

My little one is only 15 months so hardly any TV for him yet. And we don't have cable so we are really out of the loop. All he watches is old Blue's Clues DVDs over and over. He loves Blue and I think it's just awesome! I wish it were still on the air and I wish it were Disney.

We did the Playhouse Disney attraction when we were there and also met Handy Manny and he thought that was pretty cool. However, when I looked up clips of these shows on YouTube, I thought they were pretty terrible. I am interested in the Play-n-Dine simply because it's geared toward the younger crowd. However, it will be closed when we're there next.

I thought I heard about Playhouse Disney being renamed and getting its own channel. Any truth to that? Maybe they'll add to the line-up and improve it, if that's the case.

Playhouse Disney will be getting its own channel in January 2012. It will be renamed Disney Jr. and will replace SoapNet, which is another channel owned by Disney as it broadcast same day episodes of All My Children, One Life to Live, and General Hospital (and Port Charles when the channel was first launched). To get more viewers they expanded to show Days of Our Lives and the Young and the Restless, two daytime dramas that are not part of the ABC lineup. The rest of the airtime was filled with repeats of night time soaps of the past, like Falcon Crest and the original 90210.
Disney's decision to rebrand SoapNet to Disney Jr. is very interesting as it has been widely reported that the soaps aren't doing well and long time running shows like As the World Turns and Guiding Light (which is the longest running broadcast in history) have gotten the axe. Disney's statement is because soap viewers habits have changed and when the network was launched there were no DVR's or online watching. I personally feel there won't be soap operas in 2012 which is why the change over but I see the validity in Disney's statement too.
So with a 24 hour channel devoted to preschoolers, it will be curious what other acquisitions Disney purchases, what other concepts the company will come up with, and what that means for the future of their presence in the Disney parks.

NewfieFan

While acknowledging that Phineas and Ferb aren't Playhouse Disney, Disney is really moving slow on this goldmine.

My kid watches Disney XD religiously and Phineas and Ferb is one of the few shows the whole family will sit down and watch together.

We are taking him to WDW for the first time in about a month and I am nervous that the supposed center of the Disney universe won't acknowledge their latest hit.

I realize some of these series have a really short shelf life, but DHS really needs an Innoventions type area where the Disney Channel stuff can be swapped out easily. Disney is a leviathan when it comes to in park marketing of the Disney Channel.

If there is no P&F merchandise when we go they will be missing out on quite a bit of money from my family.

I agree completely! Every kid I know, as soon as you say Phineas & Ferb they start doing impressions, saying lines from the show, etc. This show is a hit... and the parents like it too!
My hubby brought home a Perry plush from the Disney Store and we could seriously auction the thing off around here!

drew81

Original Poster

I know the Disney Store had some Phineas and Ferb merchandise. I do think WDW has partly dropped the ball with Phineas and Ferb. Saying that, there are other things to consider-characters are not cheap(if you catch my drift) but I do think they should've moved much earlier to have them out for meet n greets, which I hope they will have at some point in the future.

Look how long it took for them to get Tinkerbell in the parks for meet n greets and she'd been heavily requested for years.

mp2bill

Sadly, Disney is being beaten hands down by Nickelodeon when it comes to pre-school programming. It's so significant that I know more kids begging to stay at the Nick value resort vs. the Disney values. As a parent- I don't love any of the shows, but I have to say - I'll take watching Dora, Yo Gabba Gabba, and Kai Lan any day over most of what Disney has been showing of late. :(

Yeah, they're all pretty horrible, but Disney's is definitely the worst. I wonder why they don't use their staple characters for educational programming?

NMBC1993

I agree that Disney dropped the ball when it comes to Phineas and Ferb. Last week I gave my mother my copy of the DVDs and she fell in love instantly. She asked me for another disk and I told her they haven't made anymore. I would love to see that 3D show come to the parks but I doubt it, I can't even find any merchandise at the parks because they are too busy cramming Hannah Montana down our throats. I guess I should have known this would happen, Disney never markets their good products.

French Quarter

I haven't seen Phineas & Ferb. Maybe I'll have to consider buying their DVDs for my little guy. I'm going to look it up on YouTube and see how I like it.

So with a 24 hour channel devoted to preschoolers, it will be curious what other acquisitions Disney purchases, what other concepts the company will come up with, and what that means for the future of their presence in the Disney parks.

I think that this is a really good move by Disney. I'm excited for how this channel might carry over into the parks. Isn't the Playhouse Disney show being renamed to Disney Jr. fairly soon?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I haven't seen Phineas & Ferb. Maybe I'll have to consider buying their DVDs for my little guy. I'm going to look it up on YouTube and see how I like it.

I think that this is a really good move by Disney. I'm excited for how this channel might carry over into the parks. Isn't the Playhouse Disney show being renamed to Disney Jr. fairly soon?
Phineas & Ferb is a great show. My wife and I actually enjoy it and have caught ourselves watching it at night after our kid has gone to bed. It's aimed at an older set then Playhouse Disney, but I find myself laughing more at that show than 90% of what is on TV these days.

I'm glad to hear that they are making changes to that character dining. I kind of can't stand Oso, but my kid does love him. Our daughter is only 2 1/2, and she's never seen JoJo, and barely anything Little Einsteins, so we've never even considered going to that character meal. Oso will be great as a character though, I think he would translate well to the costume.

Now if they'd just update Playhouse Disney Live to trend more to the current state of the channel. I'd drop Little Einsteins and roll Oso in or something. Again, I dont know if they even show LE on the channel anymore, and if they do, it's before my kid gets up anyway.

French Quarter

I just watched some P & F on YouTube and I think it is aimed at an older audience than the preschool set. Well, at least for kids who are older than my little guy. Maybe in a few years, though, I'll purchase some of their DVDs.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I just watched some P & F on YouTube and I think it is aimed at an older audience than the preschool set. Well, at least for kids who are older than my little guy. Maybe in a few years, though, I'll purchase some of their DVDs.
It's aimed older than the pre-schoolers that is for sure. My kid (2 1/2) enjoys it, but mainly because each 30 min show has at least 2 if not more songs, and she's a sucker for any sort of music. I dont think she gets a ton of what is going on, but does request it from time to time, typically the "cliptastic music countdown" they did earlier this year that was just 10 of their best songs.

"Gitchi-Gitchi-Goo" is SUCH an ear-worm, though I personally prefer "Squirrels in my Pants"

French Quarter

My little boy will probably love it when the time is right. He too loves music. I think that's why he likes Blue's Clues so much. Pretty much everything is a song.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom