Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 this is supposed to resemble the full effect we’re seeing in the blurry footage right? Without the original show scene plans or better footage/photos so much of the Network Communications scene (mostly pre-86 right side but also left) besides the main map area is quite a mystery.
View attachment 560610
View attachment 560611
Yes. It’s based on an FX test photo in the Abrams book and a recollection from a tech who worked it back then. Some sort of infinity cove star scape apparently.

This also helped with the general layout

292343E0-AEE4-4724-B6C8-7C1D9E5E3E0F.jpeg

Last edited:

Dragonman

Yes. It’s based on an FX test photo in the Abrams book and a recollection from a tech who worked it back then. Some sort of infinity cove star scape apparently.

View attachment 560625
Very interesting, I’m guessing the space station scene layout doesn’t show anything necessarily interesting due to the scene being suspended from the ceiling and wall.

Bill in Atlanta

Just got off SSE and saw the graduation caps to my left about a minute after the spaceship. They were closer to me than I expected (maybe 15’ or so). Is that the back of the old scene, or did they shine light across the way putting their shadows to my right?

evenstephan

View attachment 560625
Martin, is this track layout imagery available online anywhere? I've been tinkering with a project where I'd be able stand outside of SSE and be able to pinpoint where specific show scenes are within the attraction. The plans drawn by Ed of the The Disney Blueprint page are pretty good (and are claimed to be based on the originals), but this has a lot more detail. Your work in this regard the 1982 & 86 tribute video has already been a godsend for this, and will get me close.

evenstephan

I’m not sure to be honest. Ed probably has the clearest readily available on the web.

I often marvel when stood outside looking up that the main ride space only uses around 1/3 of the sphere.
Thanks for that; his work is so good that it'll get me really close. I marvel at the use of space, too. I'd dearly love to do an augmented reality version where I could hold a phone up and see a rough interior rendering in real time, though I would seriously need to better my skills. In the short term, I'll just be happy mapping it out and having overlays that I can hold up in front of me from various locations around the park.

Movielover

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Apologies if this has been brought up before, from a 1993 video.

Mystery lights upon entering 180top (@marni1971 any ideas?):
View attachment 560870

Large satellite lights (space station in left corner:
View attachment 560871

Space station:
View attachment 560872

Flash frame of the small satellite/astronaut:
View attachment 560873

Video here:

The thing about this post is that it reminded me of how majestic the musuic at the top was "way back when".

The original music in Future World fit together so well - it was a feeling that meant so much for me no matter where in that space I was. Such fond memories...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Apologies if this has been brought up before, from a 1993 video.

Mystery lights upon entering 180top (@marni1971 any ideas?):
View attachment 560870

Large satellite lights (space station in left corner:
View attachment 560871

Space station:
View attachment 560872

Flash frame of the small satellite/astronaut:
View attachment 560873

Video here:

The purple blob looks like an infra red CCTV light. The 2 red lights below it could possibly be the lights on the side of the space station (it’s hard to get context in the dark):

365836F1-4EE7-4691-B3FC-BC5FB4324627.jpeg

Last edited:

Wdwsince86

In the video where they do a lights on walk through in the mid 90s and the guide says something about a spot where “black gentleman” (sorry their words not mine, I’d have said african American) used to sit. Is that the first pic in that series?

Dragonman

In the video where they do a lights on walk through in the mid 90s and the guide says something about a spot where “black gentleman” (sorry their words not mine, I’d have said african American) used to sit. Is that the first pic in that series?
Yes. @marni1971 recalls there being two figures in the scene and you can partially see the outline of the male figure in the background. The standing figure is a female from what I’ve been told.
6382E545-06D5-41B0-A048-2DE8F9B3D6C0.jpeg

25090006-D630-45DF-93F1-257367460637.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom