Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If you'll forgive the crude Photoshopping . . .

The Red is the remains of the Space Station, the black gradient is the beginning of the Descent, the Blue Dots are the . . . Blue Dots. You'll want to turn around as you're under them because the vehicle faces you away from the Space Station. The Blue Lights in that scene do an okay job of lighting it up even though it's painted black, so as long as you're looking in the right place you're very likely to see it.

View attachment 493333

I'd like to see the rest of that drawing... ;)

yensidtlaw1969

I'd like to see the rest of that drawing... ;)
It's out there on the internet, it ain't mine:
1598561475837.png

Dragonman

If you'll forgive the crude Photoshopping . . .

The Red is the remains of the Space Station, the black gradient is the beginning of the Descent, the Blue Dots are the . . . Blue Dots. You'll want to turn around as you're under them because the vehicle faces you away from the Space Station. The Blue Lights in that scene do an okay job of lighting it up even though it's painted black, so as long as you're looking in the right place you're very likely to see it.

View attachment 493333

Did they eliminate the space station overhang portion during the 07 refurb? It’s hard to tell with all the light bars blocking it on the ride.
DB9CA11E-8B29-4DCE-82FF-1FCBEBE79CB5.jpeg

86142102-3A19-41F3-8BEA-A0A231705CDF.jpeg

SoFloMagic

Thanks! I've been looking up, toward the top. So, the lights were put up later and covered it, and nothing is visible before the light curtains?
I'll be there in 3 weeks, so will be riding SE several times. I'm determined to see it before it might be taken out!
Someone here helped me a while ago. At the end of the blue lights, when you're about to go through that smaller opening at the end of the blue lights, look behind you and up - it's easiest to see when you're right under it.

I was thinking small and couldn't picture it - its massive and right above you.

yensidtlaw1969

Did they eliminate the space station overhang portion during the 07 refurb? It’s hard to tell with all the light bars blocking it on the ride.
View attachment 493442
View attachment 493443
Not totally sure, but I think it's unlikely - the Blue Lights probably just obscure it from view.

Spaceship Earth has such a convoluted system for getting show elements in and out of the building that it's really no wonder so much gets left behind. If they don't actively need the space for something else it really is so, so much easier to just leave things where they are.

KikoKea

Someone here helped me a while ago. At the end of the blue lights, when you're about to go through that smaller opening at the end of the blue lights, look behind you and up - it's easiest to see when you're right under it.

I was thinking small and couldn't picture it - its massive and right above you.
Thanks. All this time I've been looking at where the blue lights begin. It seems odd that it is so far down what looks like a tunnel, but I guess when the spaceship was there, that area was open to the top. I do remember seeing the spaceship, either in 1988 or about 1975- not sure which visit. I thought it was amazing, like we were in space with the astronauts.

ABQ

Thanks. All this time I've been looking at where the blue lights begin. It seems odd that it is so far down what looks like a tunnel, but I guess when the spaceship was there, that area was open to the top. I do remember seeing the spaceship, either in 1988 or about 1975- not sure which visit. I thought it was amazing, like we were in space with the astronauts.
Positive it would not have been 1975. Only as EPCOT was not there in 1975.;)

SoFloMagic

Yeah right at the start of that tunnel. Look behind you about 10 seconds or so before you hit that low ceiling at the end of the blue lights. Best view is like the last 3 seconds before the tunnel, behind you but almost straight above you. It's crazy.

Dragonman

The space station/spaceship itself was visible from 1982-1994.

DreamfinderGuy

Up in the roof after the city. Although I’ve not been in Orlando for 2 years now. We did Disneyland last year.
If you're talking about the wavy thing in this concept art, it was gone shortly before the park closed. If there's anything else left I wouldn't know, I've been too amused by the broken facial recognition with the mask mandate to look up at the scenes recently.
Screen-Shot-2017-04-15-at-12.42.17-PM-825x384.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you're talking about the wavy thing in this concept art, it was gone shortly before the park closed. If there's anything else left I wouldn't know, I've been too amused by the broken facial recognition with the mask mandate to look up at the scenes recently.
View attachment 493538
Originally the wavy thing continued all the way to unload - a second batch of fibre optics and laser projection continued down the descent tunnel and turned into electro luminescent “ropes” that were all suspended by the wire.

Fun fact - the “wavy thing” (I love that) was a beam of communication reaching across the planet, and ultimately Spaceship Earth.

Last edited:

DreamfinderGuy

Originally the wavy thing continued all the way to unload - a second batch of fibre optics and laser projection continued down the descent tunnel and turned into electro luminescent “ropes” that were all suspended by the wire.

Fun fact - the “wavy thing” (I love that) was a beam of communication reaching across the planet.
The mounting point further past that by where the ropes were is definitely still there. Probably the most noticeable piece, even if you aren't looking for it.

Dragonman

Flash photo of the “Wavy Thing”, which was removed months ago like @DreamfinderGuy has stated.
44B39525-3E14-45C5-A153-33D699FECDE0.png

I’m sure pictures of the remaining abandoned chicken wire exist either in this thread or elsewhere. I remember seeing them I just don’t recall where.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom