Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

articos

It’s very odd listening to the Perrin tracks and hearing dialogue in 180top. Either it was cut in 1986 or Tomorrow’s Child drowned it out.

Or more likely the audio system in 180top was repurposed for music since there wasn’t really any from 82 to 86.

Thank you for your memories. Like much of EPCOT Center the early details are starting to disappear forever.
There are still a handful of original folks out there working. I’m thinking Steve Alcorn worked on SSE in those days. There is original documentation in the archives, if anyone can be bothered to dig for the materials. Your work is a gold standard, and critically necessary to preserving what Epcot was. Thank you.

I don’t know when she was (they were) silenced, unfortunately. I have clear memory of both the dialogue track and TC, but not the time frames. They blend together.

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

There are still a handful of original folks out there working. I’m thinking Steve Alcorn worked on SSE in those days. There is original documentation in the archives, if anyone can be bothered to dig for the materials. Your work is a gold standard, and critically necessary to preserving what Epcot was. Thank you.

I don’t know when she was (they were) silenced, unfortunately. I have clear memory of both the dialogue track and TC, but not the time frames. They blend together.
I know Alcorn was significant in the American Adventure's development. The presentation the guys from Alcorn McBride gave my group talked heavily about that. Not much about SSE.

articos

I know Alcorn was significant in the American Adventure's development. The presentation the guys from Alcorn McBride gave my group talked heavily about that. Not much about SSE.
Steve was project wide. He was significant in AA and Journey, and he was heavy in the infrastructure and OS of parkwide systems engineering. He also had involvement in SSE, but not as heavily as the other 2. There are some other originals from 80-82 still working too, but they are getting fewer and fewer.

KBLovedDisney

Anyone know what happened to the astronauts after they were removed from Space Mountain?
These guys? I didn't know they were missing...
593c545c-38ca-44a0-9775-8e9bcffac521.jpeg

articos

It’s in my head that one or both of those sculpts ended up elsewhere, because I remember seeing them once they were taken out. I just have no idea where.

I think the SM figure above is based on the same molds? It’s similar. Were there 2 in the lunar surface scene or just the one? I know the two working together are not the SSE figures. The one on the lunar surface is the same base figure mold, possibly with different legs, but they may be hidden and it’s hard to see. I just don’t know if it’s the exact one.

Last edited:

Dragonman

It’s in my head that one or both of those sculpts ended up elsewhere, because I remember seeing them. I just have absolutely no idea where.

I think the SM ones are based on the same molds? They are similar, but not exact.

The additional equipment you see was added to them and they were repainted when they were moved to the post show in 1994

Dragonman

Remind me. The lunar surface was first, then they moved to the position working together in KB’s photo? Is that what the question is?

The ones working together are entirely different figures than the SSE ones. The ones working together are still there I believe but the SSE ones in the post show were removed around 08 and we’re not sure where they are now but most likely storage.

articos

The ones working together are entirely different figures than the SSE ones. The ones working together are still there I believe but the SSE ones in the post show were removed around 08 and we’re not sure where they are now but most likely storage.
That’s what I was confused about. The pair are not the SSE figures. I don’t believe the post show figures were the exact ones from 180, but they did use the same figure molds. I will ask if I run into anyone who would know.

articos

@marni1971 would definitely know. He’s one of the reasons this thread is so great
Marni’s fantastic. That’s what we were discussing a few posts up. He’s unsure, as am I. My recollection is the figures are not the ones from SSE, but I am not 100%. As to where they are these days, if they still exist, I have no idea. I’ll see if I can find out.

Dragonman

Quick question, does anyone know where exactly it’s located or have seen the maintenance ladder or hatch used to access the window girl? Also since we have info about her still being up there why haven’t we gotten any pictures of her still up there yet? Surely someone could ask a cm who’s willing to go up there and get some pics for us

WDW862

Quick question, does anyone know where exactly it’s located or have seen the maintenance ladder or hatch used to access the window girl? Also since we have info about her still being up there why haven’t we gotten any pictures of her still up there yet? Surely someone could ask a cm who’s willing to go up there and get some pics for us

She probably hasn't been accessed in years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom