Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Castle Cake Apologist

It would have been a group creative decision between the execs overseeing and the show team producers, not just Bob. He may have brought up the idea, or someone else may have mentioned it. What we now miss (and I think was a mistake) may have seemed like a good idea at the time in the context of the larger changes to the attraction. Hopefully it will be restored in the next redo of the attraction.

I think I'm one of the few people who is in favor of the change. The riders are supposed to be invisible observers, so it never made sense to me that this one random character was trying to hawk papers to us. I think it makes more sense that he's now facing a street scene and selling his papers to the townsfolk that used to be behind him.

articos

I think I'm one of the few people who is in favor of the change. The riders are supposed to be invisible observers, so it never made sense to me that this one random character was trying to hawk papers to us. I think it makes more sense that he's now facing a street scene and selling his papers to the townsfolk that used to be behind him.
See, I don't mind him in either spot, I just prefer that he doesn't have his back to us. Even if he was sideways to the ride path, guests could at least see his face. He's not actually supposed to be hawking his papers to the riders, he's just there doing his job and we're silent observers, like you're bringing up.

Goofyernmost

The Rome animation of the chariot hasn't worked for quite awhile as far as I can tell. I remember they worked, I think, before the last refurb and now no longer work.
There is a difference between no longer works and is no longer there. That later is what we have. I think that with the change in the scene it was no longer thought to be important. It was nothing more then a projection on the wall anyway.

KikoKea

Thinking way back to an early visit....didn't the descent have a communication theme at one point? Colored strands of lights that twisted their way down, gradually dwindling as you neared the bottom? Was this before or after the mirror/lights effect?

Both were very cool, and better than the computer cartoon thing we have now. When we first saw it, DH and I tossed our jackets over the screen and sat back, waiting for the descent lights. We keep hoping they'll redo the ending.

Castle Cake Apologist

The Rome animation of the chariot hasn't worked for quite awhile as far as I can tell. I remember they worked, I think, before the last refurb and now no longer work.

The chariot animation was removed during the 2007 refurbishment, because it just didn't look good. It was clearly an animated projection.

MerlinTheGoat

Just to recap... what's broken in SSE besides the lousy descent? I saw someone say that the photos aren't used anymore is the entire descent Jib Jab video now broken?
I have ridden it twice (with a couple of weeks between rides) since early last month and both times the video was not receiving photos. It just defaulted to generic cartoon faces (which is what occurs when a car is empty). This also included the large screen as you exit the ride. The steam in the press room has also been missing a few times. While not exactly broken, the video of the mammoth hunt could also use some work, bit fuzzy and dull. And last week the first animatronic in the cave painting scene was frozen and contorted in an awkward position. That is however the first time I have ever seen a broken AA on this ride. I notified a cast member exiting the ride of this particular figure because broken AA's are past my threshold of tolerance for show issues (seemed eager to want to fix it but who knows?). The ride has generally been kept in decent condition otherwise though, i'd like for this one at least to maintain that level of upkeep. I only just recently first saw these issues. Again besides the air conditioning being so poor, which is something that has affected other areas of the parks as well.

Thinking way back to an early visit....didn't the descent have a communication theme at one point? Colored strands of lights that twisted their way down, gradually dwindling as you neared the bottom? Was this before or after the mirror/lights effect?

Both were very cool, and better than the computer cartoon thing we have now. When we first saw it, DH and I tossed our jackets over the screen and sat back, waiting for the descent lights. We keep hoping they'll redo the ending.
The entire ride had a communication theme up until 2007. The original sponsors were Bell Systems and later AT&T and they only dropped the communication concept when the sponsor changed to Siemens in 07. Most scenes are largely the same travelling up the ball, though the narration was changed in 07 to drop the communications theme and adopt a more general world history retelling. The big changes start right before you get to the top, at the scene with the vintage "tape" computers lining the walls. That scene along with the garage scene following are completely different ones from prior versions of the ride.

The mirrors were in place during the decent of the ride that operated from 1986-1994, the version narrated by Walter Cronkite and the one with Tomorrow's Child as the ending theme. I don't know if the mirrors existed in the previous version. The ride was overhauled in 1994 and given a new narration by Jeremy Irons and a new descent sequence (my personal favorite). This descent had additional human figures (though they were still mannequins and not animatronics) with peppers ghost video phone illusions. There was also a cool model of a futuristic city decked out with striking fiber optic lighting effects (strands of which followed you all the way down the descent).

Siren

The ride has generally been kept in decent condition otherwise though, i'd like for this one at least to maintain that level of upkeep. I only just recently first saw these issues. Again besides the air conditioning being so poor, which is something that has affected other areas of the parks as well.

I know! I was *so* shocked when Marni told me this ride had air conditioning already. LOL.

Anyway, I *love* the video -- that is such a neat effect. I hope Disney will bring this back because it's just so pretty and would make going backwards (my favorite part) better than ever.

montyz81

We keep saying Disney should bring some of these things back, but doesn't Siemens have a say. They could have been the ones that spearheaded the removal of the decent since it was more communications related and then didn't have the money to put in/update the decent to something new and improved. Instead they got some screens and software developers to build out the decent. I say we put just as much blame on Siemens!

Goofyernmost

We keep saying Disney should bring some of these things back, but doesn't Siemens have a say. They could have been the ones that spearheaded the removal of the decent since it was more communications related and then didn't have the money to put in/update the decent to something new and improved. Instead they got some screens and software developers to build out the decent. I say we put just as much blame on Siemens!
I don't see why we need to blame anybody. It's still a great attraction, personally I like the screens in the vehicles. I never was a great fan of the descent before and I'm not overly excited about it now. It doesn't matter why it ended up the way it did, but, it seem to me to make sense that if you are going to provide a show via vehicle screens that having anything else there to distract your attention would be counter productive. If you talk about cost, Do you suppose that all the hundred and some odd vehicles retrofitted with computer screens just fell from heaven and landed in front of the seats. I would think that the cost of that was enough to choke a horse. I'm sure, at one point, they considered different endings for the ride, but, for whatever reason this is what they decided to spend their money on. I don't know about the rest of you, but, I fully intend to enjoy what is there and not obsess over what I think should be there.

Last edited:

KikoKea

I have ridden it twice (with a couple of weeks between rides) since early last month and both times the video was not receiving photos. It just defaulted to generic cartoon faces (which is what occurs when a car is empty). This also included the large screen as you exit the ride. The steam in the press room has also been missing a few times. While not exactly broken, the video of the mammoth hunt could also use some work, bit fuzzy and dull. And last week the first animatronic in the cave painting scene was frozen and contorted in an awkward position. That is however the first time I have ever seen a broken AA on this ride. I notified a cast member exiting the ride of this particular figure because broken AA's are past my threshold of tolerance for show issues (seemed eager to want to fix it but who knows?). The ride has generally been kept in decent condition otherwise though, i'd like for this one at least to maintain that level of upkeep. I only just recently first saw these issues. Again besides the air conditioning being so poor, which is something that has affected other areas of the parks as well.

The entire ride had a communication theme up until 2007. The original sponsors were Bell Systems and later AT&T and they only dropped the communication concept when the sponsor changed to Siemens in 07. Most scenes are largely the same travelling up the ball, though the narration was changed in 07 to drop the communications theme and adopt a more general world history retelling. The big changes start right before you get to the top, at the scene with the vintage "tape" computers lining the walls. That scene along with the garage scene following are completely different ones from prior versions of the ride.

The mirrors were in place during the decent of the ride that operated from 1986-1994, the version narrated by Walter Cronkite and the one with Tomorrow's Child as the ending theme. I don't know if the mirrors existed in the previous version. The ride was overhauled in 1994 and given a new narration by Jeremy Irons and a new descent sequence (my personal favorite). This descent had additional human figures (though they were still mannequins and not animatronics) with peppers ghost video phone illusions. There was also a cool model of a futuristic city decked out with striking fiber optic lighting effects (strands of which followed you all the way down the descent).

Yes! Thanks, Merlin. I liked that communication theme. DH and I went there in 2008 after a couple year's absence and were disappointed to find the descent part changed. But, we've had some laughs over the plan your future results and are glad they didn't rip out the whole ascent part and put in a cartoon IP.

KikoKea

I don't see why we need to blame anybody. It's still a great attraction, personally I like the screens in the vehicles. I never was a great fan of the descent before and I'm not overly excited about it now. It doesn't matter why it ended up the way it did, but, it seem to me to make sense that if you are going to provide a show via vehicle screens that having anything else there to distract your attention would be counter productive. If you talk about cost, Do you suppose that all the hundred and some odd vehicles retrofitted with computer screens just fell from heaven and landed in front of the seats. I would think that the cost of that was enough to choke a horse. I'm sure, at one point, they considered different endings for the ride, but, for whatever reason this is what they decided to spend their money on. I don't know about the rest of you, but, I fully intend to enjoy what is their and not obsess over what I think should be there.
Glad you enjoy the descent now and I agree that it must have cost a ton o' money and isn't going away anytime soon. We've had a few laughs over the cartoon Plan Your Future thing during descent, but what I dislike is having my attention directed at a small screen. I would rather be looking at a cool effect around me, rather than a little video screen. :)

Goofyernmost

Glad you enjoy the descent now and I agree that it must have cost a ton o' money and isn't going away anytime soon. We've had a few laughs over the cartoon Plan Your Future thing during descent, but what I dislike is having my attention directed at a small screen. I would rather be looking at a cool effect around me, rather than a little video screen. :)
I think that many of us, that saw it before probably feel the same way, however, it is still fun to do and keeps your mind off the fact that you are falling over backwards off a cliff. It's just that others seem to remember the descent as some great work of art, whereas, I was never all that impressed with it. Yes, there were a couple of scenes, a few shadow box type displays, and mostly "screens" the very thing that seems to be awful now, but, other then that, to me, not much to write home about. I feel that we all remember things better then what they actually were. I'm just glad they were able to find a sponsor to invest in it, otherwise, we would be seeing the same thing we saw 20 years ago. It was a good upgrade, different yes, but, not all that bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom