Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Expo_Seeker40

The only thing I can think of that we need now is a photo of what she looks like today in the blacked out window. I believe there is an access hatch into the window structure from the roof of the old space station set.

raymusiccity

The space station was a vast, 3 armed suspended show set with the 3 arms all meeting into the cylinder that held the girl in the window:

View attachment 121124

After passing under the girl, guests passed though a tight corridor of gobo projections before entering the special effects laden mirrored wall finale of lasers, computer images, flashing lights and visual effects that in 1986 also received "Tomorrow's Child"

However, in early 1982 during installation it was realised the spaceship and moonbase in 180top wasn't working. Whilst looking great on paper, in situ the sets forced perspective didn't work. So it was removed before opening. All that remained of the lunar surface were the lunar surface cut out outlines:

View attachment 121125

The satellites and space station of course were thankfully left intact and produced a stunning and fitting start of the rides finale.

In 1994 the satellites were removed, the window blanked over and the space station painted black. At least two of the station "arms" were also removed to allow the addition of the "classroom" projection scene. Parts of the station and cylinder remain in place to this day.

Many years ago I produced a video attempting to show a lot of what I've described. Whilst embarrassing to watch today - and I really should attempt to do it again - it's a pretty crude representation of 180top as it used to be:

Just imagine the outcry if the current descent was replaced with the original Cronkite narrated version?

There would be a slew of comments:

'Enough with the screens, already! You're not using any imagination and just using the cheap way out, like Universal! '

janoimagine

Mission Space ... the list goes on.
In most cases I agree ... but in the case of Mission Space I dont blame imagineering as we only got about 1/3 or 1/2 of what the pavilion was supposed to be ... it would have been a worthy successor to Horizons if not for budget cuts ... Eddie Soto had and amazing concept that got neutered into what we have today.

Disney Analyst

on my ICP my Canadian friend worked SSE... I'm asking her questions now haha. She remembers the track extension in 180 top... Rumour was there were plans to have the track go outside the dome and renter in.... Maybe thats why it dead ends into the wall?

Disney Analyst

I always thought the descent tunnel was super narrow (having only ridden first time in 2013), but I just watched a video of the previous version (before refurb) and it seemed like there was quite a bit of scenery, set design, and things happened. Can anyone explain the descent before it was curtained up? Diagrams? Images? How was it layed out? Is there still stuff behind curtains?

Jjbean2

The space station was a vast, 3 armed suspended show set with the 3 arms all meeting into the cylinder that held the girl in the window:

View attachment 121124

After passing under the girl, guests passed though a tight corridor of gobo projections before entering the special effects laden mirrored wall finale of lasers, computer images, flashing lights and visual effects that in 1986 also received "Tomorrow's Child"

However, in early 1982 during installation it was realised the spaceship and moonbase in 180top wasn't working. Whilst looking great on paper, in situ the sets forced perspective didn't work. So it was removed before opening. All that remained of the lunar surface were the lunar surface cut out outlines:

View attachment 121125

The satellites and space station of course were thankfully left intact and produced a stunning and fitting start of the rides finale.

In 1994 the satellites were removed, the window blanked over and the space station painted black. At least two of the station "arms" were also removed to allow the addition of the "classroom" projection scene. Parts of the station and cylinder remain in place to this day.

Many years ago I produced a video attempting to show a lot of what I've described. Whilst embarrassing to watch today - and I really should attempt to do it again - it's a pretty crude representation of 180top as it used to be:

Martin! You are amazing. This brought tears to my eyes thank you

KikoKea

This is a fascinating thread! I love learning about lesser known WDW facts, then looking for them when we visit. This is going on my list. Thanks to Martin for finding the great photos. Makes me long better times at EPCOT.

Expo_Seeker40

Here's a screen capture of the girl in the window from a 1994 ride thru of SSE, shortly before it closed for refurbishment and became the Jeremy Irons version. You can see her using the controls to operate the mechanical arm that "held" the satellite inside the space station.

Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 4.50.44 PM.png

Expo_Seeker40

Looking down into the former space station scene. The satellite with the astronaut hanging on it would be on the left hand side of the photo past the wall. (On your right in your time machine vehicle). The space station ceiling is still there, now painted black. In 2007 those strings of endless lights were added and bolted into the ceiling.

image.jpeg

articos

As you're about to exit the room of endless lights, look behind you and look up. You'll see the massive prop bolted to the wall that contained the window the girl is looking out. The prop is at least 20 ft tall containg the 5-6ft tall animatronic inside of it. It was completely painted over in black paint during the 94 refurb. View attachment 121959
Spend a lot of money on massive scenic work to be painted out. Sad. That photo shows the multiple platforms in the dome to support the original scenic design, including above the track where the original star projection system was installed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is this the extra, but never finished track extension in 180top?View attachment 121956
No. There was never any extra track. Just storage. The design - and the structure - was never meant to take any more track.

What you're seeing is the "roof" of what is now the home garage. And as Articos said the platform for fx projections.

Besides, just behind the camera is a large "step" up in the floor. The smooth floor spiral ends where it was always meant to.

aladdin2007

No. There was never any extra track. Just storage. The design - and the structure - was never meant to take any more track.

What you're seeing is the "roof" of what is now the home garage. And as Articos said the platform for fx projections.

Besides, just behind the camera is a large "step" up in the floor. The smooth floor spiral ends where it was always meant to.

martin I do believe you could write and publish an entire book on all these amazing details, I would love to read it! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom