Spaceship Earth...time for an update?

NowInc

They have actually adressed the noise issue recently...it is a LOT less noisey....

I just think they need to update the "technology" of the end a bit..a lot of the things they are talking about as "future" are actually more of a reality now...and of course..a rehabbing is well in order...perhaps some seat cushions...

Timekeeper

Yesterday's Child

Sure, Spaceship Earth is a classic that shouldn't (and probably couldn't) undergo any major changes. But... how about leaving the ride track layout the way it is now, but instead of the omnimovers, install Indiana Jones/Spiderman (Universal) type cars to "juice up" your time travel experience. The ride would move along faster, and the designers could point you exactly at what they want you to look at.

Also, the "transitions" between time periods would be much more dramatic. Instead of a peaceful stroll into the next era, the time machine would actually "jump" into the next era/show scene.

Imagine how exciting the descent at the end could be given the ride technology currently available. I don't mean a "rollercoaster," but rather a "hovering through time" effect.

Okay, before everyone tears up that idea, it was just a thought.

On a more serious note, I think that the ride could be much more effective if "overhead" space was taken advantage of. Many rides don't need to pay as much attention to what guests see above their heads - if the rides are moving at a decent pace. Spaceship, however, moves so slowly that guests have a chance to see 'everything,' including lighting rigs and other technical equipment that may deminish the magic. There are a couple scenes in Spaceship that place props and scenery above the rides, but they are few and far between.

The props would not have to be elaborate or expensive. Just think about how effective the scenery is inside Splash Mountain. Rather than a naked ceiling above the riders, there are tree branches and greenery that really "engulf" the riders. This type of set design, in my opinion, has the greatest effect on the riders.

Heck, even Pirates incorporates the most primal method of ceiling theming by 1) painting it black (night sky), and 2) creating the "cloudy" effect with lighting and projection.

My least favorite? Small World. When a ride has the same type of ceiling tiles that my elementary school had, there's not much special about that. Granted, the ceiling at my elementary school did not contain all the colors of the rainbow. (Some of them, however, did display stains from water leakage - similar to those in Small World.):lol:

Timekeeper

NowInc

Im not tearing apart your idea..but i must say ...that sadly..what you want is impossible. They couldnt rip out the ride system they have now and replace it with the other type of cars (well..they COULD..but you and I both know they wont pay for it)...

I do think tho that it does need SOMETHING...I like it slow/relaxing..but perhaps adding more themeing to the "dead" parts where you can see all the light rigs etc...that would make a lot of difference...at least in my opinion...

Al

Originally posted by BSikor
Just a thought...
The original version of Spaceship Earth ran from 82'-86'
The Cronkite Version ran from 86'-94'
The current version started in 94' and has been running since. That's eight years since a major rehab.

Is it time for a change?

what did they actually change in those versions?

FSUYoda217

I agree..... they need to cover up all of the lights that are showing. It would make the ride more enjoyable. They also need to make the sound of the tracks less noisy!!!

SnowWhiteKL

Definitely agree with Disneyprep! the Cronkite version was the best...I've only seen the one that they use now once, butI remember I didn't like it. Tom Brockaw would be great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom