Spaceship Earth...time for an update?

BSikor

Original Poster
Just a thought...
The original version of Spaceship Earth ran from 82'-86'
The Cronkite Version ran from 86'-94'
The current version started in 94' and has been running since. That's eight years since a major rehab.

Is it time for a change?

NowInc

Originally posted by BSikor
Just a thought...
The original version of Spaceship Earth ran from 82'-86'
The Cronkite Version ran from 86'-94'
The current version started in 94' and has been running since. That's eight years since a major rehab.

Is it time for a change?

I think so ;)

dizneyfreak

Yeah, I agree even though Spaceship Earth is one of my favorite rides. When I was down there in December, at least 1/4 of the cars speakers were taped up and you can here the motors trying to run Spaceship Earth. Also SE is has been prone to break down at least once everytime I go on it. So yeah I thinks its in dire need of a rehab.

Sean23

I agree Spaceship Earth needs a rehab but because the ride stops when your are on it does not mean it has broken down. They have to stop the ride sometimes to load and unload the handicap.

MajinBuu

Yup

Rehab Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just update a few scenes and anamatronix and clean or replace the motor system that runs it.

All I ask is that they keep the Jeremy Irons naration...
There is just something about him that makes it all feel like ur there...
I felt the same with the Cronkite naration but I got used to hearing Irons voice instead...

BTW... has anyone here stayed for Illuminations? If so, after the show do they still project the world revolving on SE like a giant globe via lasers from the American Adventure?

TestTrack

Well......

It is what I would call a "classic" ride that doesn't need any updating other than operating devices. It gets it's coolness because of its history. Anyway I think they could update the animatronics but thats all it really needs.

P.S. Something tells me this ride will never be taken down......I wonder why? lol

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If they do give it a rehab can they please clear the dates with me. My first visit was during the last rehab and I was gutted when I found out that it was an attraction (always thought it was just a symbol like the castle) but I could not get inside the golf ball. Now me and Mr Ions are old chums!
Thinking about it Eartquake at Universal was shut during that trip to.

Pioneer Hall

They need to update the end with the future of communication. We are doing most of the stuff they show now in our homes everyday. The internet and video on computers isn't in the future, it is now. And the motor needs work. But Irons needs to stay

Spaceship Earth rehab

A REHAB, yes. CHANGING or ALTERING the ride, NO. Leave it alone, please. Don't change another one!!!! While Jeremy Irons is okay, I long to hear Walter Cronkite and Tomorrow's Child. And I want to see that communications network scene that SHOULD be at the end of the ride. And after the ride is done, I want to pull into EARTH STATION!!!! EARTH STATION, where I can make dinner arangements for World Showcase restaurants. LEAVE MY EPCOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!! :hammer:

bossmsx

This is a dumb question, from someone who hasn't ridden the ride since it was narrated by Walker Edmiston.
How much of Spaceship Earth is still original (ie from '82)? Nothing, some parts, how much?

General Grizz

Hmmm..maybe they can add some Horizons scenes at the end... =)...but KEEP THE MUSICAL SCORE...and the opening and closing areas the same - SE won't be the same for me without it...hee hee... Irons can stay, too... =)

monorail256

am i the only person... who likes the current version?!!? *sniff sniff*.... o well ... you probably guessed.... NO REHAB... and i dont think they should get rid of the the speaker that they have now... i've known him.... (in that ride) FOREVER... sure they can add some WD-40 to the track but please dont change it drasticlly...

disneymystique

SE Update

The only negative with the current version is the elimination of "Tomorrow's Child" - any re-work to SE must include the closing song, preferably "Tomorrow's Child"

Pioneer Hall

I like the ride but a couple of things have to change. And we all know that it soon will go for a rehab, just to update some things. The beginning parts of the ride can stay as is, because history doesn't change. But when you say the future of communication will be computers we have a problem. We have already come out with the technologies they show and we use them in our everyday lives. Right now I guess I'm using the future of communication. So some updates are needed, but it won't be anything drastic at all. Just the last couple of scenes.

BSikor

Original Poster
Re: Spaceship Earth rehab

Originally posted by TheDisneyBoy
A And after the ride is done, I want to pull into EARTH STATION!!!! EARTH STATION, where I can make dinner arangements for World Showcase restaurants. LEAVE MY EPCOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!! :hammer:

:lol: That is so funny! I couldn't agree more! I do love the new version and I know I'll have some enemies over this but I liked Tomorrow's Child at first but it got dated fast. The new version is classic and clean. But I do long for the old day where as DisneyBoy said , pull into earthstation and make my reservations!

RJW08271

Since I just rode it again last week, this post got me thinking:

1. Yes, the "future" part of the ride needs an update and maybe a couple of other areas too.

2. I miss Walter Cronkite. He should do it again or have Tom Brokaw do it. A voice people trust and recognize adds to the ride.

3. The ride cars need replacing, they seem to be past their prime.

4. Especially when going backwards toward the end of the ride, I really noticed the "clinking" of the chains or whatever it was lowering us beneith the cars. It was distracting from the ride and I remember wondering if there is a more modern method that would be quieter for moving those cars.. it was far too noisy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom