Spaceship Earth Starring Goofy

Artful_Dodger

Since this is just in good fun, I'll play along and welcome the idea with open arms.

BUT with one stipulation,
The Goofy used in the ride overhaul must be the old school, classic, lovable Goofy that made the world fall in love with the character
goofc.jpg

And not the abhorrent, creepy, newer version that makes one wonder if he's a recovering alcoholic who's fallen off the wagon.
goofb.jpg

DfromATX

No. Just no. I simply do not want to hear “GAWRSH!” even once on SSE. While I admit I do not remember the Jeremy Irons version, I do happen to love the current one along with Dame Judi Dench’s narration. And Goofy? In the words of several Arrested Development characters, “COME ON!” 👎🏻

I like it the way it is too. I'm ok with improving/updating it, but I don't want them to change it too much. And definitely, I don't want them to make it silly. Silly has a place in things of course, but not in Spaceship Earth.

Disstevefan1

Okay, hear me out.

The current version of Spaceship Earth sucks and has been with us for longer than the far superior previous Jeremy Irons version. It is allegedly getting a makeover at some point, but let's face it - we all know they're going to botch it. So why not just embrace the fact that Epcot is now IPcot and get real weird with it?

Disney decision-makers, I present to you this idea, feel free to steal it!

Spaceship Earth Starring Goofy

Basically it will be like those classic Goofy cartoons where a narrator instructs Goofy to demonstrate something and Goofy screws it up every time. The onboard audio will be the narrator, telling us the history of technological advancements and human achievements while occasionally giving Goofy instructions or condescending criticism. The ride scenes will remain more or less the same, but every animatronic will be replaced either by Goofy dressed as a person from that time period or another anthropomorphic dog person accompanying Goofy. Some effects would need to be added to animate Goofy's antics.

First scene: Goofy attempts to capture the wooly mammoth but it kicks him off screen
Second scene: Goofy draws a mammoth on the cave wall which becomes animated and kicks him again somehow
Third scene: Goofy invents paper by pounding reeds flat but accidentally hammers his thumb and screams
Fourth scene: Goofy tries to trade by boat but his boat is sinking
Fifth scene: Goofy is attempting to teach math but is confused and keeps asking the narrator for his lines
Sixth scene: Goofy crashes his chariot in Rome into a torch which sets Rome on fire

...and so on. You get the idea.

At the end you get to create a custom Goofy cartoon in which you can see all the ways Goofy can screw up in the future.

This would 100% be better than the current version. Nothing matters anymore. Epcot is dead. Let's just do this instead.
I will credit you for the “out of the geodesic sphere” thinking, but I MYSELF can’t go for this.

I really like the classic “edutainment” in the current attraction. I am fine with them continuing to plus the current attraction with lighting, audio, animatronics updates, I would really like to see the return trip to earth reverted back to its original with any lighting, audio, animatronic updates needed.

spock8113

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhuuuuuummmmmm...................I'm not sure where I stand on this. Keep it mature and informative or........wait for it, wait for it............make it Goofy. Spaceship Earth reminds of the Bell Telephone (A T & T) Pavillion at the 1964 World's Fair (Small World, Carousel of Progress) which was a time ride through the progress of communication while you rode in moving chairs. Here's some older available footage:

The decision is
a) Original old-school and informative or………….
b) Light-hearted comedy (which ruined Figment, God bless Eric Idle, though "bring outchyurded")
c) Disney’s ability to go somewhere in between.

JoeCamel

Since this is just in good fun, I'll play along and welcome the idea with open arms.

BUT with one stipulation,
The Goofy used in the ride overhaul must be the old school, classic, lovable Goofy that made the world fall in love with the character
View attachment 614385

And not the abhorrent, creepy, newer version that makes one wonder if he's a recovering alcoholic who's fallen off the wagon.
View attachment 614386
Disney allows facial hair now....

DoleWhipDrea

I highly, highly, highly doubt there are Disney personnel hanging on these boards at Disney direction. There maybe be cast members or other personnel on these boards of their own volition, but not on behalf of Disney. TWDC doesn't care what over-the-top fans think about their parks. They prefer to manipulate the masses. If they paid attention to these boards, the parks would be frickin awesome to visit, and there profit margin would be much smaller. Not to mention a fifth gate already. :rolleyes:

Disney absolutely has employees that watch these boards...they have employees where that's specifically their job (along with anywhere else notable to monitor.) I actually had a lovely conversation with one of them while waiting to ride one of the Friendship boats.

That being said, Disney will not take unsolicited suggestions for future attractions and the like because they don't want to potentially get sued for taking an idea that they didn't develop themselves (or at least, that's what they'll say on the record.)

So, by all means, keep talking about your ideas for Goofy to infiltrate Spaceship Earth! ;)

I hope IP never gets shoved within Spaceship Earth. I do hope that the attraction eventually gets a solid refurbishment with a reintroduction of a space station at the top and an inclusion of some interesting things to see during the descent that isn't on those screens.

Pepper's Ghost

Disney absolutely has employees that watch these boards...they have employees where that's specifically their job (along with anywhere else notable to monitor.) I actually had a lovely conversation with one of them while waiting to ride one of the Friendship boats.

That being said, Disney will not take unsolicited suggestions for future attractions and the like because they don't want to potentially get sued for taking an idea that they didn't develop themselves (or at least, that's what they'll say on the record.)

So, by all means, keep talking about your ideas for Goofy to infiltrate Spaceship Earth! ;)

I hope IP never gets shoved within Spaceship Earth. I do hope that the attraction eventually gets a solid refurbishment with a reintroduction of a space station at the top and an inclusion of some interesting things to see during the descent that isn't on those screens.
I'm not doubting what seems to be something you actually verified in person, but if they really monitor these boards, you'd think they'd see the 15-year running joke about Expedition Everest and the broken Yeti and maybe actually do something about that? Is that an idea they don't want to be accused of stealing? 🤣 I mean, wth. Disney thinks it's important enough to get the pulse of this community, but not to actually do something with that info? Sounds like a management team that's pretty inept. Sorry for stating the obvious.

DoleWhipDrea

I'm not doubting what seems to be something you actually verified in person, but if they really monitor these boards, you'd think they'd see the 15-year running joke about Expedition Everest and the broken Yeti and maybe actually do something about that? Is that an idea they don't want to be accused of stealing? 🤣 I mean, wth. Disney thinks it's important enough to get the pulse of this community, but not to actually do something with that info? Sounds like a management team that's pretty inept. Sorry for stating the obvious.

I think Disney is more concerned with seeing outrage here that would potentially affect their stock price more than anything else, though I'm sure there's some wiggle room, like Bob Chapek getting a feel if it's smart for him to show up at a fan event ;)

Unfortunately, when it comes to actually making decisions, Disney presumes that they can do no wrong. With the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser, however, they may be second-guessing themselves...

JoeCamel

I think Disney is more concerned with seeing outrage here that would potentially affect their stock price more than anything else, though I'm sure there's some wiggle room, like Bob Chapek getting a feel if it's smart for him to show up at a fan event ;)

Unfortunately, when it comes to actually making decisions, Disney presumes that they can do no wrong. With the Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser, however, they may be second-guessing themselves...
I think the Celebration cubes would have been one of the first to go during the great purge, they may think it is not worth doing the social media thing with other roles going unfilled. Not that they have ever been good at it but every once in a while you see a few that are obvious dusters in the employ of TDO

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom