News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Dragonman

I had a theory about this:
EFA88B23-FCD5-46E4-A54B-28A0305F7F29.jpeg

Instead of it looking like the Egyptians invented illuminated hieroglyphics, what if that’s the “story light” and it basically illuminates important objects in a scene like that.

Zipadeelady

The regulars here know who we are referring to so, in a way, I gave him credit :)

I agree we need confirmation but kudos to him if he is correct.
Ok, who is "He who must not be named" and what web site? I do realize this may be a dumb question considering you stated he must not be named but now I'm curious.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Curious what will happen to fast passes that are booked already post closing date. I have a fastpass set for this already on 4/11. Is there any precedent for this. Will it turn to a muliple experience pass?
According to the Handy Dandy WDWMagic Calculator (https://www.wdwmagic.com/reservation-calculator.htm), today would have been the first day someone could have booked an SSE FP for 5/26, since CL FPs are based on checkout date, not check in date.

Thelazer

I had a theory about this:
View attachment 452028
Instead of it looking like the Egyptians invented illuminated hieroglyphics, what if that’s the “story light” and it basically illuminates important objects in a scene like that.

It's projection mapping, just like you've seen on the castle.
Along with perhaps a few new scenes built from the ground up.
I'm assuming the two year closure is because the ride track is being replaced.. everything else could be done in 8 months.

SSE_King

I'm wondering how the story light will actually work. With SSE being an omnimover, there are constantly people entering and exiting a specific scene, so I'd be curious to see how the light will "follow" you. Again, it could be a cool effect if done right. Emphasis on the "if", though.

junglecruise93

Is the "story light" similar to the added effect to the last generation of MSEP at MK? It was a white curly ribbon/string of lights that was added to the side of each parade float, but sequentially lit up in order every few seconds. I thought I read somewhere that it was supposed to "tie" the floats together...?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I totally get that. But the last 40% of the ride is a travesty. As long as tinkerbell isn't the guiding light they really can't gum it up that much. Can they?
I think the point is that Disney has done some things recently that are great (ROTR, Pandora) but has also done some things that have broken hearts, and most often the later has happened at Epcot, which Iger/Chapek (who I personally think have otherwise been very positive for the North American parks) clearly don't understand what it was intended to be, or perhaps they do and they think it's unworkable moving forward.

And it's a bit undeniable that today, other than Test Track, every Future World pavilion is in the same (Land, Seas) or worse (everything else) shape than it was on the day that Iger was named CEO. So I think with Epcot it's perfectly valid to assume the worst and hope for the best.

Josh Hendy

... other than Test Track, every Future World pavilion is in the same (Land, Seas) or worse (everything else) shape than it was on the day that Iger was named CEO. So I think with Epcot it's perfectly valid to assume the worst and hope for the best.
All the more disappointing because the overall themes are progress, imagination, stewardship. A total lack of understanding was going on at the very least. To the point of disrespect and cynicism.

Monorail_Red_77

It's projection mapping, just like you've seen on the castle.
Along with perhaps a few new scenes built from the ground up.
I'm assuming the two year closure is because the ride track is being replaced.. everything else could be done in 8 months.
Yes, I'm envisioning projection mapping like on Cinderella Castle and Tinker Bell dust in Peter Pan queue mixed together. If done right I think it will look good and hopefully the scenes will stay similar yet hopefully more fleshed out and improved with digital mapping.

At the same time I'm nervous about this refurb as well, like everyone else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom