News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

KBLovedDisney

New just in:
Space Ship Earth will be closed May 26th.
The squares of the screens are still there sadly. I'm just hoping they don't use them. It'd be nice to remove them completely instead of covering with a piece of plastic.
Spaceship-Earth_Full_37483.jpg
So...projections.

Projections everywhere...

Atomicmickey

Lots of fibre optics type effects.

I’ve said it before, I hope I’m wrong on the length of downtime. Perhaps with the budget cut it'll be shorter.

I imagine just getting things in and out of there adds a ton of time. Unless they are going to take a side off the thing and install some sort of gangway? I can see where it would almost be a new attraction's worth of work. Do you know if the cars and transport system are going to be replaced, or just refurbished?

trainplane3

So...projections.

Projections everywhere...
If done right, it could be nice. There's nothing wrong with projections. The issue is when they start replacing physical elements like AAs and props/set pieces. If that happens then I'll take major issue with it.

The other issue I have is how bright some parts of the ride have gotten. It's stupid bright up in 180. To the point you can see railings, scaffolding, boxes, and speakers.

SSE_King

The light effects in the concept art look WAY too exaggerated to me. I'm glad they're still using animatronics (possibly even replacing old ones by the look of the Egyptian scene) but if every inch of the scenery is glistening with the "story light" then it will really detract from everything else. I'm hoping it won't be as overboard as the concept art suggests.

justintheharris

The light effects in the concept art look WAY too exaggerated to me. I'm glad they're still using animatronics (possibly even replacing old ones by the look of the Egyptian scene) but if every inch of the scenery is glistening with the "story light" then it will really detract from everything else. I'm hoping it won't be as overboard as the concept art suggests.
So what you're saying is, if the ride is too visually impressive, it will distract from the story? And therefore be a worse ride? What?

SSE_King

So what you're saying is, if the ride is too visually impressive, it will distract from the story? And therefore be a worse ride? What?
I don't know if projecting light onto everything necessarily means it will be more visually impressive. I don't oppose the idea of the story light at all, I think it's a cool idea if done correctly, but based on the image, it looks like every surface is lit up. That just seems excessive to me, that's all.

And I'm just basing this all on a single image of concept art. For all I know, it will end up looking totally different in person, which I'm hoping for.

mgf

Odd to pivot from the ideas that stories connect us to the idea that light connects us (what does that even mean?!?) but would be glad if that Moana integration never happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom