News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

yensidtlaw1969

Outside of all this, the idea of casting the "most qualified" person is mostly a myth - generally a director picks the talent they feel suits their vision, whether they are the most "qualified" person or not. It's not like Judi Dench came to an open call to narrate Spaceship Earth and since her resume was longest she got the part over everyone else. The narrators have all been picked because they fit someone's vision of the project and were willing to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MickeyMinnieMom

Outside of all this, the idea of casting the "most qualified" person is mostly a myth - generally a director picks the talent they feel suits their vision, whether they are the most "qualified" person or not. It's not like Judi Dench came to an open call to narrate Spaceship Earth and since her resume was longest she got the part over everyone else. The narrators have all been picked because they fit someone's vision of the project and were willing to do it.
I’m not going to belabor this. “Most qualified” in this context would be the one who fits the vision best. Not a myth at all — just an interpretation of the words. We’re not actually disagreeing on that. No need to try to. :)

flyerjab

I obviously feel that James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman could narrate literally anything and I would be as happy as a clam. That being said, I would also add Cumberbatch in the mix of narrators for this. There is something about his voice that comes off as almost melodically perfect to me. For me, if I could choose a different voice for myself, I would claim his in a heartbeat.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
As has been mentioned, the script needs to be much, much better. Don't talk down to the guests, inspire them. It's been done before...

I don't want James Earl Jones. He just sounds old now (As evidenced in Rogue One). Same with Patrick Stewart. Whoever narrates, it needs to be someone who isn't already 80+ years old. Cumberbatch would be a decent choice. Hell, even Chris Evans may sound great in SSE, given the right script and direction. :)

Alice a

Vin Diesel - just for the vibration when he hits a low cadence! A lot of moms and dads would walk out more ahem relaxed ;)

QuasiNoFroyo

I do apologize for the stir I have caused earlier on this thread. However, I still have plenty of admittedly ingenious ideas regarding Spaceship Earth's immediate future:

1. The oft-maligned onboard screens should definitely stay but only for the purpose of allowing guests to select their language of choice. Removing those screens could potentially result in intense backlash from several non-English speaking park-goers and wouldn't be a very pretty sight for Disney.
  2. In the Renaissance scene, they should replace all those redundant "hallelujahs" with authentic Latin Gregorian chants, just like what Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame had.
  3. Also in the Renaissance scene, they should make the Michelangelo animatronic left-handed again for historical accuracy.
  4. They should bring back the song "Tomorrow's Child" in addition to adding an interesting visual montage to the ride's descent, possibly including some allusions to the long-defunct fan favorite Horizons.
  5. They should get either Michael Giacchino, Alan Silvestri, or James Newton Howard to do the ride's soundtrack.
  6. And to top it all off, I really hope they never get rid of that awesome astronaut mural at the ride's entrance!

QuasiNoFroyo

And since so many people here have already listed many of my favorite celebs, here are some other celebrities whom I would personally like to hear as the next Spaceship Earth narrator that no one has yet mentioned on any of these threads (though you might not agree with all of my choices here):
Charlize Theron, Don Cheadle, Emily Blunt (though she may be used for a future Mary Poppins ride at the same park), Emma Stone (Call me crazy and stupid, but I am simply in love with that low-pitched husky voice of hers. Also, "Remember how easy it was to learn your ABCs?"*), Gwendoline Christie, Jennifer Saunders, Lena Headey, Mahershala Ali, Minnie Driver (How cool would it be to have Jane from Tarzan as your communication history guide?), Naomi Watts, Natalie Dormer, Tilda Swinton, and Will Smith (unless you guys are super tired of hearing and seeing him now).

Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer could also work, though I think they would both be better suited for the Hall of Presidents than for Spaceship Earth. And the youngest two celebs whom I would remotely accept as the ride's next narrator would be Margot Robbie and Jennifer Lawrence (assuming the latter's narrator voice would sound noticeably better in her 30s than when she narrated A Beautiful Planet back in 2016, but we'll see).

*Somebody HAD to say it.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
My proposals for next narrator:
  • Ron Howard (“On the next Spaceship Earth Development...”)
  • Tom Bodett (“I’m Tom Bodett for Motel Earth, and we’ll leave the light on for you”)
  • Will Smith (“Welcome to earf!” - Independence Day)
  • Kelsey Grammer (Better known as the original Geico gecko)
  • Sam Elliot (for a matter-of-fact heartland-style narration)
  • H. Jon Benjamin (voice of Archer and Bob’s Burgers)
  • Michael Caine (if it’s decided the narrator really needs to be British)

HauntedMansionFLA

My proposals for next narrator:
  • Ron Howard (“On the next Spaceship Earth Development...”)
  • Tom Bodett (“I’m Tom Bodett for Motel Earth, and we’ll leave the light on for you”)
  • Will Smith (“Welcome to earf!” - Independence Day)
  • Kelsey Grammer (Better known as the original Geico gecko)
  • Sam Elliot (for a matter-of-fact heartland-style narration)
  • H. Jon Benjamin (voice of Archer and Bob’s Burgers)
  • Michael Caine (if it’s decided the narrator really needs to be British)
How about Bob Iger?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom