News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

CaptainAmerica

Hey, I'm all for omnimovers. I love the people mover.

All I was getting that was I understand back in the 80s it would have been exciting for a lot of people. These days, not so much. I would much rather they do stick something IP based in there, being the parks icon.

Keep the omnimover part of course but the history of communication? Naaaa
It's not meant to be "exciting." You can't equate "exciting" with "good" as if something that's not exciting isn't good. Dinner at Jiko isn't exciting, but I still enjoy the hell out of it.

jt04

Here's my suspicion regarding the timing:

If the new Spaceship Earth is true to the spirit of the original, and IP-less, then from a marketer's point of view, the best time to sell this is Epcot's 40th. You'll have all your advertising arsenal focused on Epcot nostalgia and a new Spaceship Earth would fit into that narrative well. Sorry to say, but any other time, just saying "And Spaceship Earth is new!" just isn't much of a draw to the average tourist.

I could imagine a scenario where it would be 90% IP-less and still keep everyone happy.

Scuttle

I'd be okay with a refurb along those lines. The last part of the ride desperately needs fixed and improved. As long as it is an actual refurb and not a removal, I'll breathe a little easier.
Agreed... and it’ll be nice to have a show scene that’s post 1978. It’d be nice if they did a show scene showcasing the “Internet of Things”

aladdin2007

2 1/2 years should given them plenty of time to turn this into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride.

I think thats my concern (though I know you were sort of joking lol), martin said it will probably stay within its current realm of communication, but I cant see this happening without Chapek demanding IP being the focus. Is someone else overriding that and fighting for it to stay as is but much improved? These are chapeks parks now that hes turning into malls and anything new having to be IP.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Sorry to pile on @marni1971 with the questions, but do you know if after the refurb, will they still be selling the brisket sandwich at the electric umbrella?
I think you are actually going to be really pleased with this refurb. And not just for brisket, but for barbecue in general and the entirety of cooking.

Narrated by Guy Fieri, Spaceship Hearth will be a slow moving adventure through the history of our planet’s recipes. From the dawn of time and raw saber tooth cutlets, to today’s French cooking, and the future of Soylent Green, guests will be transported to worlds of flavors and smells with projections of popular foods from every era.

Sponsored by Weber Grills, Spaceship Hearth will delight children, and the young at heart.

“Remember how easy it was to light your grill? Thank the Weber technicians.”

—————

On another note, should SSE be destroyed or converted into some sort of thrill experience, I leave you with the brilliant thoughts of Inspector Kemp, from the movie Young Frankenstein:

“A riot is an ugly thing. And I think it is just about time that we had one!”

DocMcHulk

He may be correct, I’m just explaining it how I understand things. Maybe SSE ended up being lumped in with the spine.
If they plan on making loading and or entrance area moves, then wouldn't it make sense to include it the whole spine concept? I would think one might effect the other.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I think you are actually going to be really pleased with this refurb. And not just for brisket, but for barbecue in general and the entirety of cooking.

Narrated by Guy Fieri, Spaceship Hearth will be a slow moving adventure through the history of our planet’s recipes. From the dawn of time and raw saber tooth cutlets, to today’s French cooking, and the future of Soylent Green, guests will be transported to worlds of flavors and smells with projections of popular foods from every era.

Sponsored by Weber Grills, Spaceship Hearth will delight children, and the young at heart.

“Remember how easy it was to light your grill? Thank the Weber technicians.”

—————

On another note, should SSE be destroyed or converted into some sort of thrill experience, I leave you with the brilliant thoughts of Inspector Kemp, from the movie Young Frankenstein:

“A riot is an ugly thing. And I think it is just about time that we had one!”

But then we hit a road block: The grease trap fails, and the great loin of beef is burned. Much of our quest to seal in flavor is destroyed... lost forever... or so we think.

WEDwaydatamover

I hope this refurbishment is true. Even if it takes longer to refurb than to build ground up.

This is my favorite Epcot attraction. It was always amazing but used to 4 or 5 on my list.

Good job TDO for making it #1 by default.

I hope they remove the screens, fix the leaks, tighten up the sense and give us back a great descent. A stronger narration would be nice. I don't want anymore ABC's or dumbing down. When do people get sick of this?

I wouldn't mind Tom Selleck, Morgan Freeman or Henry Rollins.

I really hope that whatever they do they don't pick a "specially diverse" team. I wish they would let the halls of Imagineering run wild. Even a suggestion box.

Same with the unimagination pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom