Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I agree it’s not “official.” But I think that, given it’s conspicuous absence in the write ups and concept art, if we don’t hear anything on this front at D23 the refurb is functionally dead at this point, right?
D23 is not a comprehensive report of everything WDW is doing. It's an opportunity to announce exciting things of their own choosing. And they never announce bad news.

No Name

I agree it’s not “official.” But I think that, given it’s conspicuous absence in the write ups and concept art, if we don’t hear anything on this front at D23 the refurb is functionally dead at this point, right?
Yeah agreed. I’m not arguing that it’s dead.

JustInTime

Don't forget the ride camera for the finale. I don't even remember the last time that worked properly.

Be careful asking for a new script. Every time SSE's script has been changed in it's 40-year history they've watered it down. 2007 refurb was the worst but in this day and age they'd probably throw the entire thing out and start over.

As for narrators/music, we need something really emotional ('94 ascent music but through the whole ride) with a narrator similar to Jeremy Irons. People who come to mind are Morgan Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch. I feel that's the best way to go.
The ride camera worked Friday. :)

EPCOT-O.G.

D23 is not a comprehensive report of everything WDW is doing. It's an opportunity to announce exciting things of their own choosing. And they never announce bad news.
I get it. But they announced it at D23 2019. If, three years later, no update despite tons of other revisions and memory-holing of other EPCOT enhancements and attractions, surely that’s not a good sign?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I get it. But they announced it at D23 2019. If, three years later, no update despite tons of other revisions and memory-holing of other EPCOT enhancements and attractions, surely that’s not a good sign?
You're giving D23 more credit that it has. Disney uses it as a marketing tool. They have no obligation to provide updates one way or the other. Remember, they announced Main Street Theater at a D23.

And as far as EPCOT updates go... they just gave us one.

yensidtlaw1969

Disney had to neglect this ride. From those reports, I heard the update is completely dead. I am worried the ride will never get refurbished.
The ride system is near (perhaps even past) the end of its lifespan.

The ride will be refurbished at some point if only because addressing that will be necessary. Likely in the coming few years. And when they do it'll be closed for a while - Spaceship Earth is a very difficult building to get things in and out of. Which means they'll likely take advantage of the long closure to do an update, because they won't want to have to close the ride again for a long while after.

I suspect the "Story Light" iteration of the SSE Refurb is dead, but some new version is almost certainly coming.

Educated guess? I give it 3 years max.

Once the dirt pile soon to be called Communicore Plaza and Journey of Water is finished. That's my educated guess.
I hope so. Josh D’Amaro needs to address the lack of park maintenance and decline in park quality. I heard awhile that Spaceship Earth had been evacuated after the ride stopped abruptly.

I love EPCOT and all but this ride really needs love. Replacing Judi Dench and the script is one thing in addition to replacing the track. It would need to close for at least a year sometime after the WDW 50th anniversary.

Sorry that the refurbishment got slashed by budget cuts. It makes me think it won’t get updated until 2030 for Epcot’s 50th in 2022. But should it be for it’s 45th in 2027.

Haymarket2008

We can speculate all we want on Spaceship Earth, but D23 is a few months away....

If nothing comes from that, then I feel it is justified to be actively worried.

Also, I'm sure they want to keep an actual attraction announcement closed up until an event like D23.

Apart from the unlikely announcements of an Imagination overhaul and some minor updates to Land/Seas, SSE and Play are the two things I'd almost guarantee to come up at the event.

HMF

I went to EPCOT for the first time this week and Spaceship Earth was legit one of my favorites! I don't know the whole history of the ride but I loved it.
All I can tell you is it actually used to have an ending. In all seriousness though I have written an extensive article on the history of the park and it's decline.

Bocabear

All I can tell you is it actually used to have an ending. In all seriousness though I have written an extensive article on the history of the park and it's decline.
That was a concise well written article ... Sad that a company like Disney actually has articles documenting it's decline... But it feels very true to those of us that experienced the original iteration of the park and it's lofty mission to educate, entertain and inspire... Almost 40 years later, no other park can compare to what EPCOT was in it's heyday.

Surfin' Tuna

Almost 40 years later, no other park can compare to what EPCOT was in it's heyday.
I've been out of town and just now catching up on posts. I'm copying this for posterity, because no truer truth has been stated recently on here. It may be "just a theme park," but it truly hurts my heart when I think of what has happened to it. It changed and shaped my life and those of so many of us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom