Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

Mickeynerd17

It’s official. I hate how Bob Chapek is neglecting the ride. The ride system is eventually gonna break down and die. Current Disney executives don’t even care about park maintenance.
Hmmm, sounds like a particular ride we've seen at epcot before, one that was completely demolished instead of spending money to fix it.

Could it be......
HORIZONS?

aladdin2007

It’s official. I hate how Bob Chapek is neglecting the ride. The ride system is eventually gonna break down and die. Current Disney executives don’t even care about park maintenance.
and milllions can be spent on trees, and concert venues, while the attractions fall apart.

rreading

Personally I prefer SSE in its previous and current incarnations compared with what they had intended.

Beyond that, they probably have to maximize the available offerings while all this construction is underway.

Finally, they probably want to keep it open for the 40th.

I’ve been really disappointed with TWDC’s choices in 2022 but lately I’ve become optimistic that they’re learning to make better choices. Hopefully once Epcot is looking good they’ll choose to update it in such a way that makes everyone happy

EeyoreFan#24

I wonder if it’s still on, but the building changes illustrated before have been axed. Id guess if the rumors of track lengthening were true, either the cost or the physical requirements of moving the platforms prevented that from happening.

Also given the revision of the festival building to a previous like shape, maybe imagineering is reacting to the desire from some to keep a basic semblance of the old future world look. Although, that’s far less likely IMO.

Anteater

It's official: SSE is now a walk-through attraction. I'll FINALLY get to see the blacked out spaceship Martin talks about!

TDLFan

It's my understanding from my buddy who used to tinker around SE, that the attraction is in dire need of replacement of several basic things. It was my understanding that the refurb was to address several of the glaring issues the guests don't see and that the projection additions were just to throw some candy at the public for the extended refurb. I got the impression that a major refurb is something that must be done sooner than later, but I'm sure some other folks have more info.

rreading

It's my understanding from my buddy who used to tinker around SE, that the attraction is in dire need of replacement of several basic things. It was my understanding that the refurb was to address several of the glaring issues the guests don't see and that the projection additions were just to throw some candy at the public for the extended refurb. I got the impression that a major refurb is something that must be done sooner than later, but I'm sure some other folks have more info.

This has definitely been alluded to on this forum as being true

It’s never gonna happen unless Disney fires Bob Chapek. It will never get a refurbishment until 2028 or 2032. EPCOT’s old attractions like this and Figment will get worse. On the day Judi Dench passes away, they need to overhaul it.

One post that caught my attention was how the ride system stopped midway. Disney is now greedy and cheap to even care about park maintenance.

Last edited:

Spash007

I think people are reading too much into this concept. If, and I know it’s a big if, the re-do is on the table, there is no way it would be done before the spine opens back up. These trees seem to just be an easy visual placeholder.

The re-vamp also wouldn’t necessarily need a major structural change to Project Tomorrow. If they were going to cut the budget, and chose to go after Project Tomorrow rather than something more impactful to the ride, I’m ok with that.

I think people are reading too much into this concept. If, and I know it’s a big if, the re-do is on the table, there is no way it would be done before the spine opens back up. These trees seem to just be an easy visual placeholder.

The re-vamp also wouldn’t necessarily need a major structural change to Project Tomorrow. If they were going to cut the budget, and chose to go after Project Tomorrow rather than something more impactful to the ride, I’m ok with that.
The ride hasn’t had an update since 2007. As of now, some of the elements of this Disney experience has been outdated. Same with Journey Into Imagination which hasn’t got an update since 2002.

They need to change a few scenes close to the descent. Change the descent. Update the Omnimover system and track system. (There have been evacuations lately showing Disney’s lack of maintenance)

They have been focusing too much on current IP, they end up leaving attractions like this neglected. I’m worried it won’t get an update until next decade or next century as long as Chapek keeps making budget cuts.

DoleWhipDrea

When Bob Chapek first announced the planned Spaceship Earth revamp to a large gathering of Disney Parks fans at D23, it was mostly met with silence. I was there, and the mood was for lack of any better term -tense.- The lack of enthusiasm for so much being proposed for the revamp of EPCOT was palpable, and the criticisms that came from the public after said announcements were significant.

But part of the reason why they do these presentations in front of their biggest fans is so that they can get honest feedback before they've started construction. There will be certain things that are non-negotiable for the pencil pushers to give major projects funding (like building a Marvel attraction at WDW), but other things can be adjusted.

And then the pandemic happened and cost-cutting became a priority. Why commit to the SSE redo that's ultimately supposed to make EPCOT fans happy if the fans aren't even enthusiastic about it? It's better to take a step back and make some changes. What's the realistic new budget? What do your guests actually want to see from a redo? What can be realistically accomplished?

SSE absolutely needs its track replaced amongst other basic things, but even with no news coming out, we've seen several AAs and various effects get some TLC. It's not a top to bottom refurb, but compared to how other attractions limp along at WDW, IMHO it's a more concerted effort.

The concept art that just came out didn't include any news about a SSE update for a variety of reasons, but besides everything I just listed, if there is to be any news dropping about it going forward, it's going to be at an event like D23, not in a small online update.

Epcot82Guy

I totally agree in theory. I do wonder if current management feels that way (or has the understanding of the parks to feel that way). They cleared out a LOT of people in the company who understand that. And, many who are around who do feel silenced to go "the new way". I do think it has consequences, as you point out quite well. I just wonder if the company will learn from it or if powers that be will continue to choose to ignore it. Again, the new direction with IP and refreshing doesn't have to be abandoned. But, it shouldn't be on the backs of the long-term fans. There's a way to have both with creativity, understanding and a bit of discipline in your direction.

If we can spend $450M on a fun indoor coaster and tear down buildings only to rebuild them, one would hope they could refocus some funds on creative storytellers who know how to understand source material and history - and then blend old with new more successfully.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And then the pandemic Bob Iger happened and cost-cutting became a priority.
FTFY

Nothing like kicking the can on overdue ride refurbishment down the road another 5-8 years. The ride system needs replacement. The first projectors have been wonky for years. When was the last time you saw the paper boy? The steam effects. The script! My god, the script... They've managed to do some AA refreshing lately, but that's just window dressing when the house needs a deep-clean and some significant work.

ToTBellHop

A SSE refurb is certainly not canceled, it just won’t be as extensive as they had planned. It will need to close for awhile at some point in the next five years. I believe it will end up being largely a technical refurb with some relatively minor updates to visuals. New costumes, lighting, music, narrator. But no extensive gutting.

Let’s hope they can make the descent more compelling. The rest is honestly fine. Less condescending dialogue, maybe. Not the Dame’s fault. She did the best she could with that script.

It needs climate control work…the climate is no longer controlled.

Anteater

A SSE refurb is certainly not canceled, it just won’t be as extensive as they had planned. It will need to close for awhile at some point in the next five years. I believe it will end up being largely a technical refurb with some relatively minor updates to visuals. New costumes, lighting, music, narrator. But no extensive gutting.

Let’s hope they can make the descent more compelling. The rest is honestly fine. Less condescending dialogue, maybe. Not the Dame’s fault. She did the best she could with that script.

It needs climate control work…the climate is no longer controlled.
Fix the track.
Add Projection mapping on the trip back down.
Replace all the bulbs that are out.
Fix the current effects and AAs -- tired of seeing the paper boy's butt.
And, bring back Walter Chronkite's narration!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom