Spaceship Earth preview poll part 2 - for those who have ridden the previews

How would you rate the new Spaceship Earth?

• Excellent

Votes: 46 17.8%
  • Good

Votes: 99 38.4%
  • Average

Votes: 63 24.4%
  • Poor

Votes: 50 19.4%

• Total voters

DisneyAnole

And that's something to smile and cheer about? :dazzle:

Also, the poll is only telling how people here feel about it after being fed enormous hype and feeling let down.

What was the hype based on? Disney's own standards of excellence? They usually don't mess up E-Tickets quite like they did with this one. The way you and some others are justifying SSE's deficiencies you'd think we were talking about Mexico's boat ride, not the iconic attraction in the park.

Foolish1

I shot up to the World solo this weekend, and within an hour of arriving at the unofficial queue outside SSE, I was lucky enough to preview the newly enhanced attraction twice. The upgrades and new additions are superb, especially the computer room and Steve Jobs garage, but the decent HAS to be incomplete. Though you are supposed to be focused on your touch screen (the little cartoons are cute, but nothing special), the entire tunnel is bare and nearly void of any lighting/themeing whatsoever. There are several areas of the attraction that feature loosely draped black curtains, the descent tunnels being one of them, so obviously there is still work to be done. But I certainly agree with nearly everyone who has previewed the attraction, the descent is naked and FAR below the standard of proper Disney completion. It will be very interesting to see what is added between now and February.

What if Disney has show elements hidden behind black drapes/curtains intentionally? What if they want to gauge feedback on the touch screens without guests being distracted by the rest of it?

Buford

I've only ridden the new version 3 times so far, and I didnt see any signs of A100.

the figures have DEFINITELEY been updated... technology from the early 80's could not have achieved it. It's definitely up-to-par with the Wicked Witch (if not better). Imagineers have mentioned some of this in news articles

DisneyAnole

What if Disney has show elements hidden behind black drapes/curtains intentionally? What if they want to gauge feedback on the touch screens without guests being distracted by the rest of it?

This isn't anything new. They've had the original 1980's scenes covered in black curtains ever since the 1994 refurb. They aren't hiding scenes for the purpose of guest feedback on the screens. These conspiracy theories are really getting old. WDI thought the screens alone would be enough to hold the riders' attention during the descent. :shrug:

EpcotServo

I dont think any of the AAs have been replaced or upgraded, they have just been restored to working at 100% as they were when the attarction first opened. I dont believe there are any new A100s in there (SIR, Timekeeper, Jack Sparrow etc).

No, All of the main AA's are brand new and move just as good as those mentioned, and the others have been given a good tune up.

brianplace

I think you nailed it.

This ride is definitely not finished and won't be complete until February. What they have done so far is spectacular.

DisneyAnole

I think you nailed it.

This ride is definitely not finished and won't be complete until February. What they have done so far is spectacular.

Show scenes have been hidden behind black curtains since the 1994 refurb. Those scenes are most likely not part of WDI's design for this version of the ride. What you see is what they designed. :shrug: People must be in denial.

violadamore87

Disappointing but fixable!

I must agree with most of you about the new SSE. While I was very much impressed by the AA's, I found the music mediocre at best, and the descent with pitch blackness except the screens is utterly disappointing. I had high hopes for this refurb.

I realize that the ride is as yet unfinished but I cannot entertain the notion that anything drastic will result from the next two months. The descent was pitch black with a Jetson's style envisaging of the future which was disheartening.

Most disappointing is the bleak condition of the load/unload areas. I had hoped that a fresh paint job on everything would result from this refurb but it seems that they have focused primarily on the ride itself. I was also upset that the nearly two minute distraction during the descent was unimaginitive, silly, and very Jetson-like.

I must say though, that I was extremely impressed with Judi Dench's narration. It's definitely different from Jeremy Irons but I think I could get used to it. :wave:

There is, though, I think, something very out-of-place about this soft-opening. It seems to me that Disney rarely let's people onto their rides until their in a pristine, stage-ready condition as said in earlier posts. I hope that something will be added to the descent and that the screens will be majorly toned down. Perhaps they're merely testing the waters, getting guest reactions before they continue and finalize the system, but I admit I know nothing about these things. Just a theory of mine.

I realize that I'm negative about this refurb but SSE has always been my favorite ride and to see it tampered with like this is saddening.

BUT! The good news I think is that Disney will make every effort to try to please the guests in this regard, as per Laugh Comedy Floor which they're redone a few times. I'm confident that the end result will be very nice just as long as we all voice out likes and dislikes about the refurb. :wave:

I for one was always mismerized by the flashing lights during the descent and the dramatic music, it will be sorely missed.

**Edit** I realize that I've just repeated what everyone has already said four times already, sorry about that!

violadamore87

Who knows, maybe they have huge holographs of the lamented wand! I know I would certainly be distracted from the screens.:ROFLOL:

redshoesrock

I read someone's post saying (paraphrased) that it's much easier to point out the negatives than to praise the positives. So with that in mind, I'll list the positives first:

I first felt changing the theme from "the history of communication" to "the history of the future" was, in general, a good move. By making the theme "the future", Spaceship Earth thereby becomes the lynchpin attraction of Future World, and therefore, all of Epcot. It offers itself as the singularity of everything you will experience and everything you have experienced at Epcot (the first attraction and the last attraction to experience).

The updating of several scenes such as the "hunting wooly mammoths" video montage and ancient Greece, as well as the new emphasis and scenes with computers was a welcome addition and very needed.

The ride track felt much smoother and was much quieter, allowing for easier listening of the narration.

Sadly, we now come to what I perceive to be negatives.

The screens on the ride vehicles are woefully underused. Throughout the vast majority of the ride, they are not even turned on. It would make sense to use them throughout the ride, offering information about each particular scene (ancient Egypt, the first computers, etc.). Furthermore, what the screens are used for feels underwhelming at best. By selecting a few personal items about yourself (using what will eventually become dated slang like "I like to wing it"), you are treated to what feels like a commerical utilizing very simple animation (I likened it to the various "e-surance pink-haired girl" commercials currently on television).

The music for the attraction was overall quite bland. In many parts the music felt too happy-go-lucky, which gave the feeling of not taking anything too seriously. There is no grand climax at the apex of the sphere as the ride vehicles turn for a view of the distant earth, nor is there any sort of grand finale (as there once was) as you make your descent).

Finally, we come to what I feel is the worst part of the new Spaceship Earth, the narration. While I feel that Judy Dench does her best with what is provided her, I can honestly say that, had this been an essay, the narrative would of earned a solid 'B' from any fourth-grade English teacher. Once again we are treated to rather passe and bland attempts at humor ("[FONT=&quot]Papyrus, in turn, creates better record keeping, plans, designs…and unfortunately taxes.")[/FONT] The previous narration was, with the help of noted science fiction writer Ray Bradbury, a profound piece of writing which didn't simply fill the silence with empty blather about how great the future will be once we get there. Unfortunately I'm getting rather tired and will have to cut this short, but I'll leave you with this excerpt from the old narration:

"Spaceship Earth glows with billions of interactions carrying news and information at the very speed of light. But will these seemingly infinite communications become a flood of electronic babble? Or will we use this power to usher in a new age of understanding and co-operation? Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lifes and changed our world. We now have the ability - and the responsibility - to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world - for ourselves and our children - as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth."

JonnyK

Morning Everyone.

I'll be heading out to epcot either today or tomorrow, then ill give my opinons on the ride once i experienced it, but are they gonna have previews today or tomorrow, would hate to go there if they weren't offering it.

Buford

I read someone's post saying (paraphrased) that it's much easier to point out the negatives than to praise the positives. So with that in mind, I'll list the positives first:

I first felt changing the theme from "the history of communication" to "the history of the future" was, in general, a good move. By making the theme "the future", Spaceship Earth thereby becomes the lynchpin attraction of Future World, and therefore, all of Epcot. It offers itself as the singularity of everything you will experience and everything you have experienced at Epcot (the first attraction and the last attraction to experience).

The updating of several scenes such as the "hunting wooly mammoths" video montage and ancient Greece, as well as the new emphasis and scenes with computers was a welcome addition and very needed.

The ride track felt much smoother and was much quieter, allowing for easier listening of the narration.

Sadly, we now come to what I perceive to be negatives.

The screens on the ride vehicles are woefully underused. Throughout the vast majority of the ride, they are not even turned on. It would make sense to use them throughout the ride, offering information about each particular scene (ancient Egypt, the first computers, etc.). Furthermore, what the screens are used for feels underwhelming at best. By selecting a few personal items about yourself (using what will eventually become dated slang like "I like to wing it"), you are treated to what feels like a commerical utilizing very simple animation (I likened it to the various "e-surance pink-haired girl" commercials currently on television).

The music for the attraction was overall quite bland. In many parts the music felt too happy-go-lucky, which gave the feeling of not taking anything too seriously. There is no grand climax at the apex of the sphere as the ride vehicles turn for a view of the distant earth, nor is there any sort of grand finale (as there once was) as you make your descent).

Finally, we come to what I feel is the worst part of the new Spaceship Earth, the narration. While I feel that Judy Dench does her best with what is provided her, I can honestly say that, had this been an essay, the narrative would of earned a solid 'B' from any fourth-grade English teacher. Once again we are treated to rather passe and bland attempts at humor ("[FONT=&quot]Papyrus, in turn, creates better record keeping, plans, designs…and unfortunately taxes.")[/FONT] The previous narration was, with the help of noted science fiction writer Ray Bradbury, a profound piece of writing which didn't simply fill the silence with empty blather about how great the future will be once we get there. Unfortunately I'm getting rather tired and will have to cut this short, but I'll leave you with this excerpt from the old narration:

"Spaceship Earth glows with billions of interactions carrying news and information at the very speed of light. But will these seemingly infinite communications become a flood of electronic babble? Or will we use this power to usher in a new age of understanding and co-operation? Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lifes and changed our world. We now have the ability - and the responsibility - to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world - for ourselves and our children - as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth."
this is the best assessment I have read yet...... kudos.

Brian_WDW74

Overall I liked the updates, but I'm in agreement that the descent is a major, major disappointment. Somebody mentioned that the reason why your picture is taken at the beginning will become apparent in the future. I'd like to know what that is. Also, why does the touchscreen ask for where you live during the descent? As far as I could tell, the cartoon made no use of that information. Will it actually come into play in the future or are they just using it for demographic purposes?

kucarachi

SSE needs a stitch

Seems like everyone is saying there is no magic in SSE...i think it needs a little stitch! He brings unrefined charm and livens up any party. Its like a chiapet on mountain dew! Plus its already in space why not have a scene with him trying to make space lasagna.

But overall it sounds like this could be the biggest dissapointment of all time as far as refurbs go! Nobody wanted to listen when we said the wand was protecting the ride from diabolical forces. And just to be honest we all like the ride but it was pretty boring to any kid unless they were the type of kid who reads Encyclopedia Britannica for fun. But i doubt disney is really listening because if they did you would have had the dream weaver back by now. Still think the aladdin show would be a great addition to Morocco!

There is not one really fun show in all of Epcot. Cmon disney Why does epcot have to be the least entertaining! Its supposed to be the future who would fight for a future that pales in comparison to the present times!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
A thought..

The original ride featured images of "future technology" on little screens around the track. It had no music or atleast nothing audible or recognizeable. Just ambient computer "futuristic" noise.

That version only last 2 years, much akin to the Imagination fiasco.

The "new" version we have now again returns to screens, futuristic technology, and no real music. Did someone perhaps forget the history of the attraction and thus are now doomed to repeat it? The major difference is that the screens are in the car and "interactive" rather then beside it.

AllThatsJoey

I literally just got off of SSE and have to admit I enjoyed it. The whole point of the attraction is to present a clear yet brief overview of the history of communication in an entertaining manor and I believe it did just that. I can't wait to my wife's and my face on that dorky cartoon at the end.

cm1988

Excellent!

I rated the new SSE excellent because:
  • Amazing AA's
  • Great garage scene
  • Nice narration
  • Fun futuristic descent
  • Clever computer theme
Are there some things I didn't like as much as before? Well, frankly the music (though the current version is good) and missing fragments of Ray Bradbury's script... "on this wave of inspiration we sail into a new century..." (instead, will have to dust off Dandelion Wine and re-read). There's nothing in any previous version of the much-maligned descent that I miss... other than as previously mentioned, music.

Ok, the animation in the descent isn't exactly Pixar, but would be perfect with an "elf" effect. And, folks, choose your options carefully when you take that quiz and you may find yourself just a little bit inspired as you think of the possible world in which you (or the next generation) may live.

If we can dream it, we can do it. Keep moving forward!

Post show works really well with the attraction now.

Overall, let's give credit where credit is due. b.t.w., I am no longer a WDW employee and so not a shill, here. Spaceship Earth is excellent!

jt04

I rated the new SSE excellent because:
  • Amazing AA's
  • Great garage scene
  • Nice narration
  • Fun futuristic descent
  • Clever computer theme
Are there some things I didn't like as much as before? Well, frankly the music (though the current version is good) and missing fragments of Ray Bradbury's script... "on this wave of inspiration we sail into a new century..." (instead, will have to dust off Dandelion Wine and re-read). There's nothing in any previous version of the much-maligned descent that I miss... other than as previously mentioned, music.

Ok, the animation in the descent isn't exactly Pixar, but would be perfect with an "elf" effect. And, folks, choose your options carefully when you take that quiz and you may find yourself just a little bit inspired as you think of the possible world in which you (or the next generation) may live.

If we can dream it, we can do it. Keep moving forward!

Post show works really well with the attraction now.

Overall, let's give credit where credit is due. b.t.w., I am no longer a WDW employee and so not a shill, here. Spaceship Earth is excellent!

I hope Merf does not read this post, he might implode:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom