Spaceship Earth preview poll part 2 - for those who have ridden the previews

How would you rate the new Spaceship Earth?

• Excellent

Votes: 46 17.8%
  • Good

Votes: 99 38.4%
  • Average

Votes: 63 24.4%
  • Poor

Votes: 50 19.4%

• Total voters

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
For those of you who have ridden the preview of the new Spaceship Earth, let us know what you think of it.

This is only for those who have actually ridden it in person - thanks!.

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
Definitely not trying to be disrespectful to Steve here, but it doesn't seem quite fair to judge SSE in black and white terms quite yet don't you think? I mean there is so much more to it than good versus bad, or scale of 1-10 or something of that nature. Only because A) it's not finished, and B) the first half may very well be "better" and "excellent", while the second half has obviously not been too popular and will hopefully be revised before February. So it's hard to know which half of the ride to base the poll answers on to make it a fair answer :shrug:

Just my thoughts...

:eek::wave:

Enigma

Account Suspended
The new SSE is a mixed bag. They did a SUPERB job with the audio animatronics and the first two acts of the ride but the descent area is unacceptable.

The video screen/interactive thing is absurd and forgettable and whats the point of having those big video screens at the beginning ascension tunnel when the new screens in the cars can do the exact same thing??? Wouldn't it be better show to have them give there warnings on the screens? They should also offer closed caption options on the video screens as well..right now they are not making the most of the unnecessary screens.

The other problem with the attraction is the narration. It is nowhere near as memorable or iconic as any of the previous versions. The new narrative is extremly low brow and way to casual for what is supposed to be a majestic ride through the history of technology.

Finally, What could possibly be the reason to NOT bring back the Space Station scene at the end of the ride. It would tie in PERFECTLY with the new technology storyline and be a better ending to the main ride than what currently exists. Some of the structures are already in place. Bring back the Spacestation and update it so that guests will have more to look at in the attraction. Most guests want to see real three dimensional stuff like AA's and fully realized sets as well practicle effects happening around them. They can play with much better touch screens and interactive stuff at home.

Overall its a great start

The first 3/4 of the ride is really nice. Many of the old scenes were made to look much better with new figures and other scene elements like paint and lighting that really did the old attraction justice. The new mainframe computer room is kind of funny (go-go boots....really???). The garage scene was OK. It could use some more lighting and maybe and actual functioning computer (screen was dark all three times I rode the attraction).

The last portion of the ride is a work in progress. I see the concept as being similar to Horizons, but with the ability to really personalize the experience. I'm just not seeing significant enough difference between the different animation sequences to make a substantial difference. I do believe that Disney could (and most likely will) enhance the final scene based on preview feedback. However, I don't think the overall experience is really going to wow anyone in its current state.

The one big missing element of the main show to me is the real lack of recognizing the current coming together of technology and people through the internet. Sites like YouTube, Facebook and MySpace illustrate the personalization of the web and that would be a great stepping off point for some of what is yet to be created for communication. There is a lot of blank canvas for Disney to use in the future with the current ride configuration and my sincere hope is that Disney eventually fills up that canvas with detail that is not there today.

marypoppins68

I think right now that it's good, and it will be excellent when it OFFICIALLY opens in February.

I agree. I rode it Saturday night and liked it. As far as the descent is concerned, I'll wait til the ride is completely finished before I judge that. But so far I don't have any complaints.

EpcotServo

Definitely not trying to be disrespectful to Steve here, but it doesn't seem quite fair to judge SSE in black and white terms quite yet don't you think? I mean there is so much more to it than good versus bad, or scale of 1-10 or something of that nature. Only because A) it's not finished, and B) the first half may very well be "better" and "excellent", while the second half has obviously not been too popular and will hopefully be revised before February. So it's hard to know which half of the ride to base the poll answers on to make it a fair answer :shrug:

Just my thoughts...

I agree. I choose excellent, because I enjoyed it.

What about the poll for people who hate it based off of the dark videos?
:lol:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Servo - is there a single attraction that has opened that you dont like?

And looking at the results, the nays have it :) Considering the cost of the refurb, the lack of Excellents and Goods is very telling of how people feel about it.

EpcotServo

Servo - is there a single attraction that has opened that you dont like?

And looking at the results, the nays have it :) Considering the cost of the refurb, the lack of Excellents and Goods is very telling of how people feel about it.

I hate Nemo. Very much.

do not underestimate the power of my complaining.

:lol:

EpcotServo

Wow, of all the rides to hate...you hate a C-ticket overachiever that replaced a ride that was shut down, and like the iconic E-ticket that's had its back-half whipped. Interesting.
Not that I hate the ride part persay. It's just not as cool as the Submarine Voyage, and after the ride they RUINED Seabase Alpha and took out my Hydrolators. It's kind of just my overall least favorite.

marmiedook

I've only seen the videos (thanks to whoever posted those by the way!) and I can say that I'm excited to see SSE in just a few days. I hope they keep it open till I get there. I'm concerned with all this complaining that Disney may reqret their generous offer of a soft opening to all their impatient fans. People who are allowed on the ride are actually participating in the ride's re-imaginering as they work out the bumps and tidy it up for it's official grand re-opening in Feb.

If you all have such strong opinons about this, why don't you try to work for Disney and help them do it your way? It is so much easier pointing out the negative than it is to accentuate the positive.

I'm still excited to see SSE in a few days. I just hope I can!

:animwink: Marmiedook

DisneyAnole

Not that I hate the ride part persay. It's just not as cool as the Submarine Voyage, and after the ride they RUINED Seabase Alpha and took out my Hydrolators. It's kind of just my overall least favorite.

Didn't I read somewhere that many at WDI think Epcot's Nemo is superior because of the angler fish and the tunnel finale? The subs have gotten ripped by the DL fans for being---wait for it---too much like watching a movie and not enough AAs.

DisneyAnole

I've only seen the videos (thanks to whoever posted those by the way!) and I can say that I'm excited to see SSE in just a few days. I hope they keep it open till I get there. I'm concerned with all this complaining that Disney may reqret their generous offer of a soft opening to all their impatient fans. People who are allowed on the ride are actually participating in the ride's re-imaginering as they work out the bumps and tidy it up for it's official grand re-opening in Feb.

If you all have such strong opinons about this, why don't you try to work for Disney and help them do it your way? It is so much easier pointing out the negative than it is to accentuate the positive.

I'm still excited to see SSE in a few days. I just hope I can!

:animwink: Marmiedook

Because WDI and WDW are interested in "yes people" who won't challenge executives who don't have a clue what they're doing. That's why Marm.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The other half of the statement begining with "Accentuate the positive..." is "eliminate the negative."

I'm not sure we'd all like our ride vehicles suddenly dropping from the 180-top into a heap at unload.

tirian

The ascent is fantastic.

The descent is possibly the least impressive attraction element in Epcot. It's not finished, but it better be a heck of a lot better in late January than it is now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Just my thoughts...

No disrespect taken. :)
I did make it clear in the question and title that we are talking about the PREVIEW here, not the final version. I also just wanted a quick poll of what people thought, and I decided those 4 responses covered most of the bases.

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
No disrespect taken. :)
I did make it clear in the question and title that we are talking about the PREVIEW here, not the final version. I also just wanted a quick poll of what people thought, and I decided those 4 responses covered most of the bases.

Good enough then, thanks. I now see what you're looking for. More of a "how do you like it so far" answer, as opposed to "it's done now so how do we like it".

In that case, I quite like it, and I'm looking forward to the finished product. If touch screens are what we're given for the descent then I can work with it as long as I can gripe about it just a bit each time the cartoon comes on :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom