Spaceship Earth preview poll - for those who have ridden the previews

Do you think the new Spaceship Earth is an improvement over the previous version?

• Yes

Votes: 113 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 113 50.0%

• Total voters

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
For those of you who have ridden the preview of the new Spaceship Earth, let us know what you think of it.

This is only for those who have actually ridden it in person - thanks!.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It's not an improvement unless they seriously fix the ending. It all falls apart at the "matrix" tunnel and gets progressively worse from there on,

SGT623

Rode it today...and I can confirm what others are saying. The first half was fantastic the decent is totally off. They've got a new reason to install lap bars...I wanted to jump off on the way down to get away from the lameness.

Tim G

For those of you who have ridden the preview of the new Spaceship Earth, let us know what you think of it.

This is only for those who have actually ridden it in person - thanks!.
I found the whole ride pretty average, to be honest... The last piece really needs to be fixed...

PhotoDave219

I found the whole ride pretty average, to be honest... The last piece really needs to be fixed...

Its still in soft openings, right? So... concievably by the time it "opens" in February, it would be done.

Besides... isn't this christmas time, with enormous crowds due in within a week? Doesn't Epcot need the additional ORHC with the demand? Wouldn't everyone be super P.O'd if SSE was closed over Christmas? Seems pretty logical to think that it's been opened without all the finishing touches on it.

askmike1

Its still in soft openings, right? So... concievably by the time it "opens" in February, it would be done.

Besides... isn't this christmas time, with enormous crowds due in within a week? Doesn't Epcot need the additional ORHC with the demand? Wouldn't everyone be super P.O'd if SSE was closed over Christmas? Seems pretty logical to think that it's been opened without all the finishing touches on it.

So its better to open a half-complete (some would say half-assed) attraction to keep crowds down then to keep it closed and make it perfect when it it is opened (making peoples first impressions good ones)?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It'd be best to give the project proper funding and staffing from the start to reach realistic goals which do not interefere with peak periods... but that'd be placing blame where it is due.

DisneySaint

Sorry, overall I have to vote "no" on this. The first 1/2 is decent but the second half of the ride is an abomination. I miss Jeremy Irons.

tirian

I accidentally clicked "Yes," and I meant to click "No"!

The attraction that opened for soft previews is barely like the concepts thrown around when Siemens sponsored the attraction. AAAAAUGH! :brick:

On one hand, WDI improved the ascent. On the other hand, the current descent is anti-climatic. The musical score feels bland. The narration lacks power.

I'm not usually a vocal complainer, but my hopes for this attraction were very high since knowing about the sponsorship*, and I am extremely disappointed in the current version of SSE. I've been guaranteed that the attraction is not considered finished, but I don't know how much more can be added. A lot of money was spent on the touch screens for the descent, and I'm sure that Disney is going to try to make the technology work.

*In case anyone forgot, I'm the person who originally spread the news of the sponsorship, since my department works closely with WDI (we are NOT part of Imagineering, though).

tirian

Basically the same, with touch screens and such, but more interactive and enveloping. My only descriptions came from someone involved in the project--I did not see any artist's renditions--but everything from the touch interface to the surrounding lighting* sounded so much grander.

*That's why I don't think the descent is finished yet. Also, there is a reason that they took your picture!

MuRkErY

Let’s hope so then, for SSE’s sake.

If not then it is quite interesting too see where this all went so wrong. Seems like WDI might have thought the whole touch screen thing was going to be a bigger hit that it is.

savello

I vote no.... but i am into classic Disney. that being said I rode tonight and during the descent if you look up you can see that they are nowhere near being done as the old lighting is half removed and there are still ladders and tools laying around on the sides of the tracks. now i don't know if they would open a ride for testing prior to adding in all of the show elements... so we will have to wait until Feb. to see what the real ending will be. if they improve the ending then i would consider voting yes...

gcurling

What is interesting is that 1/3 of the votes are positive, yet there does not appear to be any positive comments. I'm wondering if all of the positive voters actually experienced it yet.

My opinion is shared by pretty much everyone above me...

Horray for the updated animatronic mechanics.

Boo to the new music, stale narration, deleted scenes at the end.

Curses to the insipid, silly touch screen amination.

WDWNT

Just as Imagination before it, they took my favorite attraction and trashed it. The end is horrible, the touch screens are useless, Judi Dench is no Jeremy Irons, and the music is no where near as good as it's previous incarnation. The first half was fantastic (without music or narration), but that doesn't make up for all that was ruined. :mad:

Before 2008 is over, expect another round of changes.

Uponastar

The first half is a definite improvement.
Vivid, updated scenes with good music and good narration.
Second half...hoping for more improvement by final opening.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here...and if I do, plz dont flame and I apologize in advance.

I hope everyone realizes that this thing isn't "Officially" open untill February, which is still two months away. Construction walls are still up, so, in my opinion, they will close it back up after the hollidays to finish everything up before February. Be fortionate and appreciate the fact that you get a chance to experience an always classic attraction and be thankfull that it got the TLC it has deserved for such a long time (and the wand is gone AND SSE is not a rollercoaster).

On the other hand, so far, I've seen some good and bad things. The musical score, from a musician's perspective, doesn't fit in as well as I would have liked (either that or I'm so used to the old score and it will just have to grow on me). I pray more is done with the last half of the ride by the time February comes around.

DisneyAnole

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here...and if I do, plz dont flame and I apologize in advance.

I hope everyone realizes that this thing isn't "Officially" open untill February, which is still two months away. Construction walls are still up, so, in my opinion, they will close it back up after the hollidays to finish everything up before February. Be fortionate and appreciate the fact that you get a chance to experience an always classic attraction and be thankfull that it got the TLC it has deserved for such a long time (and the wand is gone AND SSE is not a rollercoaster).

On the other hand, so far, I've seen some good and bad things. The musical score, from a musician's perspective, doesn't fit in as well as I would have liked (either that or I'm so used to the old score and it will just have to grow on me). I pray more is done with the last half of the ride by the time February comes around.

They might as well have made SSE a thrill ride. At least some part of the population would have been completely satisfied with it. The people who really value the AA scenes think the descent is crap. The kids who think the touch screens are cool! think the AA scenes are boring. So basically WDI tried to please everyone and ended up pleasing no one. Except for Str8 and Servo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom