Spaceship Earth inner vs. outer sphere

Epcot_Imagineer

Original Poster
When I first became fascinated with WDW, one of the first factoids I learned was that SSE is actually split into two: an inner and outer layer. The inner sphere holds the actual attraction itself, and has its own shell enclosing it. Extended about a foot three feet (thanks Raven) from this inner sphere is the outer sphere which holds the shiny Alucobond tiles cladding the outside of the structure. In between these two structures is a small area big enough for cast and crew to travel for various maintenance to the attraction, and for things like utilities. Yesterday I finally stumbled upon a video of this space between the two parts and thought I would share it with you all! If you've already seen it, kudos (why didn't you tell me about it)!

Last edited:

muddyrivers

Yeah that's one I haven't seen before. There's a relatively low quality behind the scenes tour of SSE filmed during the 1994 version and in part of the video they go between the spheres and point their camera through the crack. However, it was either early in the morning or late at night so there wasn't nearly as much to see and since it was filmed in the 90s, quality wasn't nearly as good as this video was.

Epcot_Imagineer

Original Poster
There’s about 3 feet between the inner and outer core, actually. Just enough for maintenance catwalks and the drainage system.
Thank you for the correction! Another thing I always read in the SSE 'fun facts' that float around is that there is a golf cart, or something along those lines, located in-between the inner and outer core. Any credence to that? I always doubted it.

raven

Thank you for the correction! Another thing I always read in the SSE 'fun facts' that float around is that there is a golf cart, or something along those lines, located in-between the inner and outer core. Any credence to that? I always doubted it.
Doubt it but would be interesting to find out!

Epcot_Imagineer

Original Poster
Doubt it but would be interesting to find out!
Especially after seeing this video, how narrow the space is, I doubt it immensely. Trying not to call @marni1971 in for an answer, but he's just so darn helpful. In the mean-time I suppose I can look around his videos to see if they say anything about it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The distance varies from 3ft to around 1ft. At the equator there’s enough space to access the gutter system as you can see. On the top the HVAC vents and plant are below the outer surface. I included some pics and footage in my 1982/6 ultimate tribute.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom