Spaceship Earth exterior needs a serious clean

raven

If the VP's are the ones deciding on what gets cleaned next, you would think SSE would have been higher up on their list. Sure it's great that AA looks great on the 4th, but SSE is your icon and far more noticeable when it's dirty. It would be nice if regular cleanings were scheduled as opposed to letting it look like this before the work even starts (at the bottom nonetheless).

It's much more complicated then that. Figure in EMH, special events after hours and in the early hours before the park opens, equipment schedule (since they share it with the rest of the WDW property), days off, weather, etc. It all adds up quickly. And the only reason it looks dirty is because they actually started the cleaning of it. You can't actually see the dirt on it until they start to wash it down. So in short, seeing dirty spots means it's being cleaned! :wave:

NewfieFan

It's much more complicated then that. Figure in EMH, special events after hours and in the early hours before the park opens, equipment schedule (since they share it with the rest of the WDW property), days off, weather, etc. It all adds up quickly. And the only reason it looks dirty is because they actually started the cleaning of it. You can't actually see the dirt on it until they start to wash it down. So in short, seeing dirty spots means it's being cleaned! :wave:

Very interesting... thanks for the updates!

fosse76

The queue load/unload areas also need to be cleaned, redone. Ugly. Matches the descent. Wake up Siemens!

Disney OWNS the ride. They should fix their own stuff instead of pawning it off on other companies via sponsorships. Makes you wonder what they are doing with all this money they get!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Reading Raven's report, I was kind of surprised that Epcot doesnt own the tools to do this, but then again, it isnt like they have a plethora of building that are 200 feet tall that would need such a cleaning system. Might be cheaper to contract out then own and maintain themselves.

jakeman

Disney OWNS the ride. They should fix their own stuff instead of pawning it off on other companies via sponsorships. Makes you wonder what they are doing with all this money they get!
I would imagine they have a giant money vault they swim in...

fastpass7300

Reading Raven's report, I was kind of surprised that Epcot doesnt own the tools to do this, but then again, it isnt like they have a plethora of building that are 200 feet tall that would need such a cleaning system. Might be cheaper to contract out then own and maintain themselves.

Although smaller buildings, it needs to be used on Mission Space, Imagination, Test Track, Ellen's Energy Adventure. If you take a close look at the buildings you can see the problem. I'm sure they could keep the equipment quite busy if things got a regular cleaning.

raven

Although smaller buildings, it needs to be used on Mission Space, Imagination, Test Track, Ellen's Energy Adventure. If you take a close look at the buildings you can see the problem. I'm sure they could keep the equipment quite busy if things got a regular cleaning.

The problem isn't keeping the keeping the equipment busy, the problem is keeping it busy in Epcot. The equipment is in great demand around all of WDW and doesn't belong to Epcot alone. Scheduling is done way in advance.

But now they don't need it anymore since they are working from the top:

2:15AM this morning
0716100231.jpg

Poor photo, I know, but you can just barely make out his headlamp.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The problem isn't keeping the keeping the equipment busy, the problem is keeping it busy in Epcot. The equipment is in great demand around all of WDW and doesn't belong to Epcot alone. Scheduling is done way in advance.

But now they don't need it anymore since they are working from the top:

2:15AM this morning
0716100231.jpg

Poor photo, I know, but you can just barely make out his headlamp.

Good work raven, thanks!

hpyhnt 1000

Wow, its probably scary enough during the day, but to wander out there in the pitch dark over the wet tiles with nothing to light your way but a headlamp... :eek:

On the plus side, the view of the city lights must be really cool. thanks for the update raven! :wave:

Rob562

Wow, its probably scary enough during the day, but to wander out there in the pitch dark over the wet tiles with nothing to light your way but a headlamp... :eek:

I'm sure those giant floodlights shining on SSE might help out with visibility a little bit... ;)

-Rob

raven

I'm sure those giant floodlights shining on SSE might help out with visibility a little bit... ;)

-Rob

Well they clean up there when they aren't on either. At least twice a week the lights on SSE are off most of the night and it's a little creepy to see a light up there moving around.

WDW Monorail

Glad to see something is being done about that. It was very unsightly.

The way I understand it is that the black spot appears when cleaning is underway. It make sense according to the pictures and time line of how the crew cleans from the bottom up. All the dirt is thrown up and then it is finally cleaned off once the crew repels from the top.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom