Spaceship Earth Changes

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Original Poster
Originally posted by SteveUK
Theres nothing wrong with calling it Verizons. At least it would keep the lines short!:lol:

Or SprintPCS..."oh wait...I cant hear you what?...damn the ride went into analog roam....hold on...let me call you back*dropped call*

And all the CM's will be very testy and a lil rude (just like SprintPCS Customer care reps.) But they will give you a million rides/minutes...but you can never use them cause the ride keeps dropping out and breaking up.. :lol: ;)

wdwcastwannabe

to answer the question about the narration,

no it has not been changed, it is still jeremy irons...

and IT'S STILL CRACKING UP AT SOME POINTS! like right before he says "our news is their news, and their news ours." IT CRACKS UP!!!! FIX IT!!!!!!

the screens don't bother me...it's just a "whatever"....

it's still my fave ride in epcot!

tim:king:

WDW Imagineer

Originally posted by NowInc
Microsoft ;)

That would be my guess too because Spaceship Earth is the first thing you see, look at all the exposure Microsoft would get, not to mention all the funds that it might receive, but then again it is a communications theme attraction.;)

Lovecraft

I can't stand those screens at the beginning of spaceship earth.

I wish they'd remove them-- it totally spoils the entrance effect which, when I first experienced the ride, I felt was brilliant. (The effect I am talking about is (well was) so good that it was not really noticable-- it involved an area of bright light that shone in just a way to cause your eyes to not be accustomed to the dark right away-- thus making the illusion of stars and the other effects at the beginning more striking-- one of those subtle things that the disney ride desingers and imagineers were so good at in the past)

If the lawyers feel the screens MUST be there, please, hire someone other than a beginning 3d art student to make them.

Is that too much to ask? I mean come on, it's DISNEY... there is a reputation of quality imagineering to live up to!

the graphics on the screens really do look like someone designed them and implemented them with a pirated and buggy cracked version of 3D Studio (the old one) over the course of one evening.

Bleh. Did whomever implemented those things realize there was a REASON for the darkness at that point? That maybe a bright monitor would expose all the black cladding on the fiber optic stars and the wiring and mechanics?

Sometimes, just because you CAN place a really high tech flat panel display up somewhere doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

Ok, sorry for ranting, I wanted to rant when I saw this in April, but I felt it would be unfair to rant at the extremly friendly and helpful castmembers in the ride.

hallowboy11

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

BRAVO Lovecraft!!

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

But I think we also forgot to mention that annoying voice at the top of the ride.... "Your ride vehicle is now turning around. Please remain seated" <holding ears> AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! What was Disney thinking??!!

:brick:

orlandoparks

Originally posted by hallowboy11
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

BRAVO Lovecraft!!

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

But I think we also forgot to mention that annoying voice at the top of the ride.... "Your ride vehicle is now turning around. Please remain seated" <holding ears> AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! What was Disney thinking??!!

:brick:

I think that there are legal reasons for doing that, but i'm not sure.

SteveUK

There is a legal reason for all the annoying warnings - PEOPLE ARE STUPID. People seem to go out of their way to hurt themselves by being stupid and then suing somebody else for it. Its unfortunate that Disney have to warn these people and annoy the rest of us so they have at least some defence against the law suits that some people make a living out of. Its sad but true, that is the way the world is going. In the end we all pay to support these people with increased gate, food and gift prices.

I think there should be one sign in a very subtle, unobtrusive place that says "Do not get out of the car when you are not supposed to" That should be all they need. I am prepared to take full responsibility for my actions, stupid or otherwise. Why can't we all do that?

Perhaps these people aren't stupid? They make a lot of money from doing these things, perhaps they are actually very inventive?

Either way, I don't like it :(

Lovecraft

You guys shouldn't cheer me when I rant -- it only encourages me ;)

I did forget to mention the voice at the top. It is annoying AND unecessary, in my opinion.

Didn't the ride already have a soothing voice that said something like (not loud like the one now) "Your time machine vehicle is turning for the descent back to earth..."

Here is what the Disney lawyers should do instead of screwing up themeing, ambience and suspension of disbelief:

Have people SIGN a disclaimer when a ticket is purchased stating something to the effect:

WARNING: Failure to keep your arms, legs, hands, feet, children and body in the ride vehicle at all times can be detrimental to your or others life and health. You are expected upon entering the park to heed all warning signs. Some attractions may contain loud noises periods of darkness or dimly lit areas, sudden drops, sharp turns or other things generally considered fun in a theme park. Pregnant and nursing mothers should refrain from margharitas at the Mexico Pavillion. Walt Disney World, the Disney Company, ABC and every other Disney interest can not be held responsible for consequences of failure to heed posted warnings and warnings presented in this disclaimer. Have a magical day.

I have read and understand the above Warning: _______________________________________________

Of course, this document should be written in as many languages as appropriate.

And. They should take down the derned monitors.

I am being serious here, have guests sign a paper saying rides are dangerous when not used as intended and that guests are aware that they should keep everything inside the ride vehicles during the ride. A signed document like this should be worth more legally than funky monitors and lights where there should be none.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Original Poster
Originally posted by SteveUK
I assume you're not a big SprintPCS fan then?

LMAO Steve....:lol:

Things are good now...I had major issues with them last month...and I pulled/paid to get out of my contract last month....but..they fixed my phone...changed my number...gave me a few free months....and begged me to come back...so all is well now.:)

STGRhost

I am being serious here, have guests sign a paper saying rides are dangerous when not used as intended and that guests are aware that they should keep everything inside the ride vehicles during the ride. A signed document like this should be worth more legally than funky monitors and lights where there should be none.

We were always taught, in Guest Relations, that the tiny print on the back of the ticket relieves us from most legal responsibility (as far as rides closing or breaking down, weather, personal items including tickets missing or stolen, possibly injuries in the park, I don't have one in front of me, so I don't remember...). But I cannot tell you the number of guests who would want a refund because it's RAINING. At 3PM! At the Studios (where nearly all attreactions are INDOORS!), and when we would point out the part on their tickets that says we are not responsible for weather, and we do not issue rainchecks, they would actually say "Well, you can't expect me to READ that!" Simply put, people are more than happy to remain (very) ignorant. Nevermind the fact that it's costing you hundreds of dollars for your vacation, and you ought to educate yourself on what it is you are spending the money on... I'm getting a little off track (I get worked up about this stuff...:hurl: )- Basically, I don't think that having people sign an extra release paper would help the situation, as people are more than happy to hide behind their ignorance. Not to mention the extra time it would take to get people to read and UNDERSTAND anything like that.... (You're probably not serious about that, anyway...)

Lovecraft

Really I *AM* serious.

If the changes that distract from ride experience are being made because of lawyers, then yes, I am serious, just have a special paper made that guests sign (perhaps digitally).

I would rather that people just take responsibility for thier actions, of course, and a reform made in civil law across the united states (I just heard on the radio last night that someone who BROKE INTO a vacationing family's home through the garage in order to burglarize it wound up getting stuck in the garage when the automatic garage door opener failed to operate and he was unable to get back into the house because the kitchen to garage door locked upon closing. Allegedly he lived off a case of pepsi and dry dog food for 8 days until the family found him and called the police. Anyway to make a ridiculous story short, the burglar SUED the family's home owners insurance company for great mental anguish being cooped in a garage and WON! something like 75 thousand dollars I think it was said)

It is because the courts not only entertain this blatent form of abuse of the system but actually AWARD plaintiffs for this bulldada that things are getting as bad as they are and are now beginning to affect MY enjoyment of things -- like attractions at Disney World.

It just gets my dander up because, in reality, its the fricking LAWYERS that are to blame. They behave like a company that produces radar guns for police and radar detectors for people, constantly improving both technologies simultaneously to always ensure that their products are purchased at both ends. Without the company, there would be no need for either -- without avaricious lawyers, we wouldn't need common sense disclaimers.

Remember, most Judges used to be these very same lawyers.

Bah

--Lovecraft

(I will be surprised if some lawyer reading this doesn't try to find some way to find me and sue me for implying that lawyers tend to be pretty scummy and greedy.. well just for the record, nearly every lawyer I have ever met is both slimy and scummy and I wouldn't trust any of them further than I could spit a fake mickey mouse from Lotte World)

SteveUK

I think what you are missing is the fact that judges, lawyers and the whole legal system is geared to make money. Judges earn their money just the same as we do.
If a judge makes a sensible decision and wraps up a case quickly then pay day is over. If however, he makes a stupid decision, the case goes to appeal and some of his friends get to sit around for several days on expenses chatting about the case and eventually coming up with the decision that should have been made in the first place. In turn, these judges go back to their respective courtrooms and make their own stupid decisions. Then in turn judge A finds himself with more work. The whole cycle goes round and round and is self sustaining.
We have to realise that lawyers and judges are very intelligent people and therefore will never do anything that will reduce their workload. If the law was changed to allow Disney to produce a disclaimer as you suggest then there would be a drop in the number of lawsuits. Not something that the legal system is likely to approve.

Am I too cynical?

Lovecraft

Not all intelligent people are morally corrupt or avaricious.

There is intelligence that strategizes the best way to make a buck and ignore integrity, ethics and morals. This is a beastly or pygmy intelligence.

Then there is intelligence that is tempered with wisdom.

For example, in my line of work there are many many unscrupulous ways that I can make more money or technically "cheat" that are, in fact, lawful. My own personal code of cunduct prevents me from doing them even though I can clearly see monetary advantages to doing them.

It just seems, of the lawyers I have had the displeasure of socializing with that they lack wisdom and tend to be morally bankrupt. Many (if not most) appear to be pretty intelligent people, but they do not stand out in an intelligent crowd for intelligence but it may be because I am around many scientists and engineers who would blow these guys away in every measure of intelligence (except cunning).

I feel there is a reason for this. Lawyers can make lot's of money with minimal work compared to other fields that require intelligence. To make a lot of money as a lawyer you are almost required to be a slimy ambulance chaser. The field tends to attract intelligent people who wish to make easy money. Also, those with aspirations to political office generally choose law as a profession to help thier career.

Scientists: Make almost no money, and tend tend to do thier work out of love for the work. To make lot's of money as a scientist it is almost necessary to become an entrepreneur which, believe me, is a LOT of work-rewarding as it is though :).

Engineers: Same as scientists but tend to make a little more money -- depending upon the field and employer.

Doctors: Make good money but to make lots involves a LOT of schooling -- then after that -- a LOT of work. Many doctors don't have a social life until they retire.

Professors: Not much money in this unless you write a best seller.

Writers: Again, need a hit to make great money. (Of course you also don't need to be intelligent for this field but it helps).

Of the above professions marked by a preponderance of intelligent people in their professions, there is only one that is universally despised and characterised as greedy sharks.

No one ever says: "First, we kill all the engineers"

SteveUK

For example, in my line of work there are many many unscrupulous ways that I can make more money or technically "cheat" that are, in fact, lawful. My own personal code of cunduct prevents me from doing them even though I can clearly see monetary advantages to doing them

Lovecraft;

I admire your morals, however I fear you may be in the minority. Morals are lovely when money isn't involved but I can't help thinking that in the end money has the last word.

Lovecraft

I can only hope you are wrong, Steve.

But there are many moral entrepreneurs and businesspeople that I have come into contact with. I think we tend to just hear more about the bad ones.

STGRhost

Just add a waiver to sign when you buy your passes, and store it digitally.

That would really only work with annual passes...no attempt is made to keep track of who buys what pass otherwise...:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom