Space Ship Earth Cracked?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Original Poster
Last week I noticed that SSE had a loose tile. The light could be seen quite clearly on the inside. I wonder if the strain of loosing the wand has the old golf ball cracking up?

I shall post a picture later.

raven

Last week I noticed that SSE had a loose tile. The light could be seen quite clearly on the inside. I wonder if the strain of loosing the wand has the old golf ball cracking up?

Wait. SSE isn't even open yet. How did you notice the crack from the inside? :veryconfu

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
obviously one of the maintanence doors was open behind the panels. hopefully they are removing the stems from the stars or cleaning the gutters.

raven

I believe what he meant was that you could see the worklights streaming through from the outside of SSE.:wave:

SSE is double layered. There is an inner core and an outer shell. Maybe there were working on replacing some of the tiles and he saw a light on that was between the two. I guess we will wait for the photo.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sounds like as jmaxwell said one of the gutter service doors were open behind the outer panel. In one of the never-end threads :D about SSE (the roof hatch one I think) I posted a few pics from construction showing the doors open. With the work going on inside the building, lets just say strong floodlighting would be really needed in there right now.

Edit; here are the hatch pics. From the (in)famous 180top thread :lol:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23811&d=1171716816
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23814&d=1171733720

Champion

One of the hatches, 100%.

The wand caused no strain on the sphere because it never touched it.

SSE is double layered. There is an inner core and an outer shell. Maybe there were working on replacing some of the tiles and he saw a light on that was between the two. I guess we will wait for the photo.

Or they were working between to remove the star supports.

WDW Monorail

It does sound like the hatch as mentioned. Also as previously stated, they are removing the star supports from the inside.

Isn't SSE the most talked about thing in WDW histroy?

It's also probably the most mysterious and fascinating structure ever created to some of us nerds.:D

:lookaroun

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Original Poster
Nothing to do with the stars as it was on the other side lower down.

I havent got the picture to hand as I havent got them off the card yet. I will do it when Im home in a few hours.

I was just surprised that it was visible to anyone who was leaving the park that night and that it looked quite precarious, perched above the walkway.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
It does sound like the hatch as mentioned. Also as previously stated, they are removing the star supports from the inside.

Isn't SSE the most talked about thing in WDW histroy?

It's also probably the most mysterious and fascinating structure ever created to some of us nerds.:D

:lookaroun
yes it is... as matin put it once (paraphrasing) it is basically a building that includes plumbing, elevators, AC units, exhaust etc etc in the shape of a geosphere.

simply brilliant

JML42691

I saw this also, the light was on the lower half on the west, rear side of the sphere. It is hard to see it in my photo, but the light was much more visible than it is in the photo.

IMG_1763.jpg

EPCOT Explorer

Sounds odd...We'll have to wait for the pic.

In the mean time,I've heard about the tile damage to SSE that happened durring the hurricanes a few years back.Can anybody tell me what broke and what still needs to be repaired?

Champion

Interesting. Looks almost like damage. But thats definitely the access path to the top of the outer shell. Either for star supports or something being done inside.

It could be that there are small damaged spots like that in other locations and it just isn't noticed because there normally isn't any light coming from the inside.

JML42691

Interesting. Looks almost like damage. But thats definitely the access path to the top of the outer shell. Either for star supports or something being done inside.

It could be that there are small damaged spots like that in other locations and it just isn't noticed because there normally isn't any light coming from the inside.
That picture was taken before the stars were actually taken down (either the 16th or the 18th), and was on the side that the living seas is on, it was also on the lower half.:shrug: So I kind of doubt that it had anything to do with the stars unless somebody had to be up there when the stars were taken off their supports. And it was not light leaking from the inside of the spheres, if you looked long enough then you see that the light source seemed to be under the tiles, not from inside the sphere.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Possibly even cleaning the gutter system - this`d need illumination outside of the inner shell whilst being done.

shanny

i saw this last week too. i noticed and then had to back track a few steps to see it again. its definatly on the side by the living seas, most of the way down. i thought it was pretty strange, but who knows how long it may have been like that, ike another user said, there arent usually lights on. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom