Space Mt referb overhyped?

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Watching what seems to be thrilling excitement for many here just leaves me scratching my head.

I saw the cue pix. I have no idea how this is different than anything before.

The only SM cue thing that I ever remember was the FexEx outer space news, and was that only at DL?

Anyways, all this for a smoother track? What is the big deal.

Is there any reason that somebody that has not gone in two years should bother to tak notice of?

Seems mghty overkill for not much new happening.

What do you think?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Watching what seems to be thrilling excitement for many here just leaves me scratching my head.

The only SM cue thing that I ever remember was the FexEx outer space news, and was that only at DL?

Is there any reason that somebody that has not gone in two years should bother to tak notice of?

What do you think?

Do we need a new thread on this?

Anyway, the FedEx outer space news was at WDW also

janoimagine

I have several photos taken of the que on my flickr page last october that would disagree with your comments on how the new que is like the old one. I think they did a great job on the enclosed que and can't wait to see it in person.

dreamfinder

What do you think?

And that exactly is the issue. The refurb has been continuously pared down. Initial reports were indicating a 18 month or so refurb, complete redo of track, vast amounts of capital spent on this project. Then it kept getting whittled down to what they ended up doing. Everyone was hoping that some of the initial rumors of on car audio, or totally new track layout somehow will sneak in, but it looks like it will be much less thrilling than hoped for.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
I have several photos taken of the que on my flickr page last october that would disagree with your comments on how the new que is like the old one. I think they did a great job on the enclosed que and can't wait to see it in person.
The fact that you keep a flickr page with dedicated Space Mt que pix proves my point, that the changes are irrelevant to the standard consumer, and trivial at best to then non Space Mt que obcessed.

ryno1982

What do you think?

The new ceiling is a necessity for making the ride darker. The track won't be visible anymore and the projections will be clearer, which makes it a better ride. While guests probably won't be able to tell the differences specifically like we can, they'll at least come away liking the ride more than they would have in its previous condition.

Atomicmickey

You are correct. Millions, probably billions, do not care about this at all.

Thousands, (maybe), do. Some of those thousands, maybe a few dozen of them, come here to talk about this sort of thing.

So, what's your point, again?

HMF

What do you think?
I have been saying that the excitement has been unwarranted for awhile now.

Horizons1

Yes, it is being overhyped. While there will be some neat new things in the que, and the mountain itself looking much cleaner and more sleek, there's not much else to expect. People just like to get excited about things so they can gripe about them later. Once the mountain officially opens, prepare for 20 threads on here going on about how little Disney did during the refurbishment while we knew how little was going to be done all along.

EPCOT Explorer

Yes, it is being overhyped. While there will be some neat new things in the que, and the mountain itself looking much cleaner and more sleek, there's not much else to expect. People just like to get excited about things so they can gripe about them later. Once the mountain officially opens, prepare for 20 threads on here going on about how little Disney did during the refurbishment while we knew how little was going to be done all along.
So....Human Nature?:):lookaroun

WDWiz318

I'm looking forward to the reopening. It may be a tad bit over-hyped but only time & going onto the ride to experience it for one's self will actually tell.

Atomicmickey

Could someone please point me to this "hype" that everyone is referring to?

I must have missed it.

TV ads?
Radio?
Billboards?
Magazine articles and advertising?
Newspapers?
Internet Banner ads?
Viral marketing campaigns?
Trade Shows?
Interviews on news shows?
Posters?
Tie-In toys?
Stickers on vans?
Branded Underoos?
Tie-in novels?
Media tent events?
Skywriting?
Clowns and Ponies?

I mean seriously, folks. Disney said "we're closing the ride, and it will reopen on this day".

Beyond that, where is the hype? There is none. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Other than that which has been created in your own mind.

Skyway

For some reason, this Space Mountain refurb has really brought out the absolute craziness in some people (including a few who have already demonstrated that nuttiness on this thread).

Disney under-hyped this rehab as much as a company possibly could (those early comments to the Orlando Sentinel about "retaining the classic attraction" were about as blatant as they come that nothing significant was happening.)

Why this attraction and not something like "Country Bear Jamboree", which also had a lengthy refurb recently?

I guess the Disneyland 2005 rehab set some expectations. But it shouldn't. That attraction was in much worse condition than WDW's, both structurally and aesthetically. Just because something is done at one park does not automatically mean it should (or will) be done at another. No one expects Expedition Everest to be built in California. Likewise, no one expects WDW's "It's a Small World" to get cartoon characters.

The other thing that set expectations high (or at least fueled complaints) were the few knowledgeable posters here who made very generic statements like "you should see what they planned, but cut." I mean no insult to those people, but those comments are a bit unfair. Every attraction originates in a spectacular "Blue Sky" phase, with elements getting chipped away for various financial and technical reasons. Even if these never-before-described SM enhancements were eliminated at the very last moment strictly because of cost, their absence is no different than the countless other decisions made by Disney over the years (no 3rd or 4th track inside John Hench's original plans for SM, no SM vehicles that leave the building, the decision to bring POTC to WDW and build just a mine train coaster instead of the Thunder Mesa complex)

But the biggest thing that sets expectations high is the unrealistic (and immature) imaginations of some people. Start with the fact that ABSOLUTELY NO ONE anticipated that SM's entry plaza would be redone. Then a circular concrete ring unexpectedly appears. Someone thinks it resembles a fountain, so they expect it to be a fountain. When it turns out to be just a planter, tempers explode because Disney was cheap and "cut" the fountain... when in fact there never was a fountain planned, and no one expected otherwise.

That leads us back to those well-informed posters who hint "you won't believe how awesome this could have been." Those statements automatically open up the floodgates for imaginary fantasies that no company on earth could fulfill.

I'm dying to find out what those "could-have-beens" really are. Because I have a feeling that some of those enhancements would get attacked by the very same people now lamenting their loss (even though they don't quite know what was lost). For example, what if one Blue Sky possibility was to rip out both SM tracks and replace them with a single, modern steel coaster, akin to Rock-n-Roller Coaster? In other words, completely eliminate the original WED design of SM, and in essence build a new version of SM from scratch. People would go CRAZY! These boards would be lit up with people demanding boycotts of WDW and the firing of Imagineers stupid enough to destroy a classic attraction they apparently don't appreciate like fans do.

montyz81

This is SSE All over again. When will the thread titled "When will Disney finish SM" start? It is what it is folks. Everyone complains when they ruin a great ride after a refurb, then everyone complains when they completely change a ride because it is old and outdated. How bout we all just be happy with the fact that in a tough economy, they are paying attention to as many rides as they can!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom