Space Moutain 44"? Why?

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
I have not been on Space Mt yet, but wanted to go next trip with my DD4. But I was sad to see that the height requirement is 44". Why? Splash Mt & Big Thunder Mt are both 40, so whats so different about Space?
Thanks in advance!

Yodadudeman

Space Mountain is a little more intense than the other two mountains. It has dark "frightening" moments and it is a little jerkier too. I guess that would have to be the reasoning for the higher height limit. However, it is only four inches. So I guess it isn't really that much of a difference.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Because that is the height designated by the manufacturer deemed safe for the restraint system.

Pioneer Hall

Because that is the height designated by the manufacturer deemed safe for the restraint system.

Exactly. It all comes down to safety. Disney doesn't put restrictions in place on attractions because they perceive them to be scary to a younger audience, but because the restraints and motion make it necessary. So while Splash, Thunder, and Space might be on similar thrill levels the restraints and ride of Space require the 44 inch restriction.

HouCuseChickie

Exactly. It all comes down to safety. Disney doesn't put restrictions in place on attractions because they perceive them to be scary to a younger audience, but because the restraints and motion make it necessary. So while Splash, Thunder, and Space might be on similar thrill levels the restraints and ride of Space require the 44 inch restriction.

Case in point- Dinosaur and ToT are 40" if I remember correctly, but I wouldn't allow my 4 yr old on either one due to the scare factor...especially since Snow White and Haunted Mansion were too much for her. I think she's probably enjoy Space Mtn, but I think even 44" is a bit on the small side for it IMO. DH is going to let her ride Splash, but he's nervous about BTMRR since she is just barely 40"- she's almost 5, but tiny. So, to OP just think towards a model of safety with these things.

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. As I said Ive never been on that ride, and with the big drop on Splash Mt, and speed of Big Thunder, I couldnt figure out why Space would warrent 4 extra inches?? Is it an over the shoulder restraint?
She will be disappointed, but she is used to it I guess. She's short for her age and misses out on a lot of rides that other kids get to go on. oh well...:(
YES, I would rather her be safe over EVERYTHING, and I realize that these height requirements are put in place for a reason, thank you very much :hammer:.
Guess I need to word my questions better. LOL!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks everyone. As I said Ive never been on that ride, and with the big drop on Splash Mt, and speed of Big Thunder, I couldnt figure out why Space would warrent 4 extra inches?? Is it an over the shoulder restraint?
She will be disappointed, but she is used to it I guess. She's short for her age and misses out on a lot of rides that other kids get to go on. oh well...:(
YES, I would rather her be safe over EVERYTHING, and I realize that these height requirements are put in place for a reason, thank you very much :hammer:.
Guess I need to word my questions better. LOL!
It is kind of an odd lap restraint.

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
We keep teasing her that she needs to grow and reach that 40" so she can go on all the rides at Disney world. Thankfully we are almost there, 38 1/2. :ROFLOL:
Last year we did a lot of child swapping, hopefully by next year we wont have to. Cross your fingers!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We keep teasing her that she needs to grow and reach that 40" so she can go on all the rides at Disney world. Thankfully we are almost there, 38 1/2. :ROFLOL:
Last year we did a lot of child swapping, hopefully by next year we wont have to. Cross your fingers!!
The proverbial "marks on the wall" at our house had goal heights based on the attractions at WDW.:D

WDWmazprty

Coincidentally, my DD, who is 4 years old, had her dr.'s appt. yesterday and she measured in at 39 3/8 inches. She has been dying to go on Splash Mountain for the last year or so. Well, we're going again next September, so we definitely can't wait to see her face when we tell her that she's finally big enough to ride Splash! :sohappy:

eddiemcgarrigle

My son rode Splash Mountain last year, aged 4, and loved it. He took the Haunted Mansion and Pirates, both dark rides, in his stride. He has now reached 46" which opens up quite a few rides for him.

We are visiting the world next year and he can't wait to hit Splash again as well as 'pretend scary' Tower Of Terror. I will be a very proud dad if he strolls off and immediately asks to go back on. The Tower is my favourite ride.

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
Thanks olinecoach61, thats the answer I was looking for!

LOL We have one too on her door frame. We marked up 36" - 40", and at 40" we wrote in big letters "DISNEY!" :D We check her every couple of weeks and mark her progress.

My daughter will be 4 in Oct this year, and boy is she a daredevil! She teases ME because I hate to go on the "kiddie" rollarcoaster at our local theme park and she loves it. :hurl:
We are going back next year, 2012, when she's five, so maybe if we are lucky she'll shoot up to 44! I can wish right?

But if not she will enjoy Splash & Big Thunder Mt, & Tower of Terror just fine. In preperation, we took her to our local theme park with similiar rides.

Coincidentally, touringplans.com posted this blog today.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/08/09/the-ups-and-downs-of-height-requirements-at-walt-disney-world/

What timing!! :sohappy:

Sari8970

So that you don't feel bad I figured I'd post on here. My 4 year old doesn't come anywhere near any of the rides that have height restrictions. He's almost 4 1/2 and he's not even 38" yet (at his 4 year check up he was 36 1/2 inches). We are so sad that Goofy's rollercoaster isn't in service now that they are redoing toon town because it was the only rollercoaster he could ride and he LOVES rollercoasters.

Now I need to figure out how to get him grow a lot between now and the beginning of October!

I guess it's not that bad though because his 2 1/2 year old brother can't go on any of them so at least we don't have to worry about him having a fit if his brother is on something. Last year wasn't easy with the Goofy rollercoaster and he was only 1 1/2 so I would imagine this year would be impossible. Of course my younger son would've been tall enough for Goofy's this year. Figures!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom