Space Mountian

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Hey people... haven't been on the boards for awhile. I personally think that Space Mountain is awesome the way it is... now please don't :fork: attack :fork: me for saying that... ... I don't really like confrontation... :p

Tim G

longfamily said:
The one in Disney Paris is really pretty but the one at WDW is a classic best!
Whole different concept... and wasn't planned to look like the others, Jule Verne was French, that's why SM in DLP is "jule Verne themed.

LilDucky

longfamily said:
The one in Disney Paris is really pretty but the one at WDW is a classic best!

I agree completely!! Why do all the parks have to be "equal" in the sense that all the parks have to have the same things? Thats the beauty of having all these parks. Not one park is the same, and if they were, why would you bother going all the way to Paris or Tokyo for photocopy rides? I like the Space Mountain WDW has. Especially since like its been mentioned several times, its the original; the one that inspired the rest! (and to avoid future arguments... im not saying that we should keep all "originals". Lord knows not all the originals are the best..) I say keep it and spend the money that was going to be used to rehab it on something else (or at least wait for the reaction of the rehabed SM in DL).

ToTBellHop

Disneyland's Space Mountain promises to be incredible...I think it will make WDW visitors jealous of those of us heading to the Happiest Place on Earth for the 50th Anniversary...

Captain Hank

I definately am for waiting and seeing the reaction to DL's rehab. From all I've heard, it should be amazing, but the simple fact that they "messed with Space Mountain" might affect public reactions. Think "New Coke" from the 80's (I think this is the second time I've used this analogy). The new formula of coke beat out both "old" Coke and Pepsi, but the simple fact that they changed Coke, which is really a big part of Americana, caused people to boycott New Coke. They demanded the "Old Coke" (or Coke Classic as it is now called) back. Is Space Mountain to Disney as Coke is to Americana? Perhaps.

Personally, I'm in favor of keeping the current chain lift format of the ride, and the overall "feel" of the attraction, but I'm all for techological advances and an improved track, as long as the spirit of the attraction is maintained.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Logan5 said:
Hey there

Big space mountain fan here, Just wanted too put in my 2 cents...

I definatley think space mountain should be renovated. My Idea would be too Leave one of the existing tracks exactly the same (ride system, rockets everything) and then put in a completely new modern ride that would weave through everything else... Of course this would be expensive , but dreams dont have a price tag do they.

And not to insult anybody, but im wondering do large or pleasntly plump people have a more painfull ride on space mountains cool little rockets? Because there always way to fun for me.....
This very well might be possible. If you have ever seen SM with the lights on the ride doesn’t even come close to filling up the available space.

Lee

Adventurer
Got word out of Cali. today of some major new light trusses being installed into the new DL Space Mountain, similar to what is in RnRC in Paris.

Kinda like this. The new effects out there are very promising, expecially if they go ahead with the plan for different lights/music for day and night. :)

Lynx04

I wouldn't want to see a cloned space moutain of any of the other SM. I would like to see a space mountain which uses the latest tech, maybe something like mummy. Show scenes incorporated with rollercoaster. WDW SM has the largest SM building, I think it is 300 ft in diameter, all of the other ones I believe are 200 ft. I think they should use that to their advantage.

barnebd5

NTI2002 said:
Is there an actual differance between the two tracks on Space Mountian? Or are they twins?

I have come to realize that one side has a few more dips and the other are sharp turns. At least that's the difference I notice everytime I ride.

Lee

Adventurer
I wouldn't want to see a cloned space moutain of any of the other SM.
Me neither. I am for an all new design. Perhaps Paris-ish but with a more "Buck Rogers" feel than Verne. How about launching through a laser cannon instead of a regular cannon? And how about some neon or running lights on the exterior? Some silver trim instead of swimming pool blue?

I have come to realize that one side has a few more dips and the other are sharp turns.
Nope. Your mind is playing tricks on you.

AEfx

se8472 said:
I still want to know where people think being strapped to a rocket would be a smooth ride.
Because you aren't being strapped to a rocket. You are riding a roller coaster.

I made the initial comment about wanting the place to be gutted, and for good reason. If you look at Space Mountain with the lights on, it's two mouse coasters, like at your local amusement park, that are very old. It's a very rough, uncomfortable ride. No one is saying it needs to be "smooth", but that needs to not bone-jarringly uncomfortable. On anything but the front car right now, it is. Roller coasters are not supposed to "vibrate" like that, they are supposed to thrill with reproducing the feeling of flight and various G-forces as opposed to thrilling you when it's over because your brain isn't smacking around inside your skull anymore.
But I mean really, trying to compair WDW's Space to Paris is like the apple and oranges. Sept for in this example the only thing they share is the name.

And I happen to think WDW space looks WAY better then anyone elses.
And leave the outside just the way it is. But the internal mechanics of that coaster are old, rickety, and could provide a much more modern ride without defiling the history of the attraction. It doesn't need to be made more thrilling (even though I'd welcome that personally), it needs to be made less uncomfortable so as to be more inclusive.

We don't know what is going on inside Disneyland's coaster, but I can bet it won't be the uncomfortable jumble Space Mountain is right now. I know people that love RnR but refuse to ride Space because it is so rough - even though as a coaster it's "less" thriling (no loops, etc.). And I don't think anyone was suggesting it be replaced with one THEMED like DLP's, but just for the actual, physical coaster to be upgraded.

For all I care they can leave the effects, etc. exactly the way they are - but you are hard pressed to find such mouse coasters even at your local amusement park these days, and I think it's clear that eventually Space Mountain will need an extensive, multi-year rehab to bring it into the 21st century. No one wants the place demolished a la World of Motion/Test Track, just for the coaster to again live up to it's reputation as a true E-ticket, not just in scope of the ride building but a true exciting experience instead of "remember how good this ride used to be?".

AEfx

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
AEfx said:

I made the initial comment about wanting the place to be gutted, and for good reason. If you look at Space Mountain with the lights on, it's two mouse coasters, like at your local amusement park, that are very old. It's a very rough, uncomfortable ride. No one is saying it needs to be "smooth", but that needs to not bone-jarringly uncomfortable. On anything but the front car right now, it is. Roller coasters are not supposed to "vibrate" like that, they are supposed to thrill with reproducing the feeling of flight and various G-forces as opposed to thrilling you when it's over because your brain isn't smacking around inside your skull anymore.
And leave the outside just the way it is. But the internal mechanics of that coaster are old, rickety, and could provide a much more modern ride without defiling the history of the attraction. It doesn't need to be made more thrilling (even though I'd welcome that personally), it needs to be made less uncomfortable so as to be more inclusive.

We don't know what is going on inside Disneyland's coaster, but I can bet it won't be the uncomfortable jumble Space Mountain is right now. I know people that love RnR but refuse to ride Space because it is so rough - even though as a coaster it's "less" thriling (no loops, etc.). And I don't think anyone was suggesting it be replaced with one THEMED like DLP's, but just for the actual, physical coaster to be upgraded.

For all I care they can leave the effects, etc. exactly the way they are - but you are hard pressed to find such mouse coasters even at your local amusement park these days, and I think it's clear that eventually Space Mountain will need an extensive, multi-year rehab to bring it into the 21st century. No one wants the place demolished a la World of Motion/Test Track, just for the coaster to again live up to it's reputation as a true E-ticket, not just in scope of the ride building but a true exciting experience instead of "remember how good this ride used to be?".

AEfx
My thoughts exactly.SM was mind-blowing the first time I rode it 20 years ago. Now it is nothing more that a carnival quality rollercoaster in a very cool building. Keep the building ditch the ride, improve the theming and put a coaster in its place worthy of the title Space Mountain. When I was younger SM was the Magic Kingdom. You went there to ride it and the rest was gravy.

se8472

AEfx said:
AEfx

The theme is that you are being put on a rocket. I mean if you logic holds out then BTMR would be nothing more then WDWR.

AEfx

se8472 said:
The theme is that you are being put on a rocket. I mean if you logic holds out then BTMR would be nothing more then WDWR.
I understand that. You are talking THEME. I am talking about the PHYSICAL RIDE. It is a roller coaster THEMED as a rocket. I'm not sure where you got my logic as saying that, it's actually indictive or your logic - i.e. Space Mountain is themed as a rocket ride and BTMR is themed as a railroad, therefore we should compare Space Mountain to actually "riding" a rocket and YOUR logic would hold that we should compare BTMR to WDWR.

SM is not meant to truly replicate a rocket ride, and that's certainly not an excuse for a rickety old coaster being rickety - because a "rocket" ride would be rough. Same for BTMR - it is a roller coaster themed like a train, in the same manner, which makes it a roller coaster and not a train ride. I'll tell you - I rode BTM for the first time in years a few weeks ago, and it's 10x smoother than Space Mountain.

Space used to be a super-headliner thrill-ride, and although I know some people love it to death, myself included, we can't deny the deteroriation of the experience. It simply is getting old, and as many coasters do the ride changes. In the case of SM, the magic is in the ride building and the theme, not the steel tracks. Replacing the steel tracks to make the ride more up-to-date and enjoyable without changing the theme or building would only enhance the ride, not ruin it. It's not like I'm saying gut Peter Pan and put a "Monsters Inc" ride, it's more like changing the track that you journey through the experience in.

AEfx

AEfx

Master Yoda said:
My thoughts exactly.SM was mind-blowing the first time I rode it 20 years ago. Now it is nothing more that a carnival quality rollercoaster in a very cool building. Keep the building ditch the ride, improve the theming and put a coaster in its place worthy of the title Space Mountain. When I was younger SM was the Magic Kingdom. You went there to ride it and the rest was gravy.
You're not wrong. :)

The only thing of note about the coaster, and why it looks more impressive than it is with the lights on, is because it's got two tracks. If you could seperate them and look at them, you'll see that it's just a mouse coaster that most carnival-type parks are even phasing out.

I think you put it exactly right - they need to update the coaster itself to be worth of the title Space Mountain.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom