Space Mountain?

Wuts up with all the post about long waits for SM. I go to magic kingdom for the MVMCP an it is the first ride i do, and usally i do it right before i leave. I once was made get off but went back through with no wait and got right back on. I also almost went to sleep on that coaster but you have to put into the fact that it was 11:45 at night. I was tireed that night. well anyways the this coaster is awesome and its a must do in the Magic kingdom

homer424

I am the biggest wuss in the universe(lol) and it wasn't bad at all! I was scared as anything the first time I went on but it was actually pretty easy and I agree with whoever it was above that said it being in the dark helps-for me it does! This is the only "thrill ride" I will go on! Have fun :)

Eljay

I'm a baby also when it comes to drops. No problem on SM, just some gentle slopes.
Do be careful if you have neck problems, there are no head restraints & you get a little side to side jerking that you can't prepare for since it's in the dark.

SirNim

Originally posted by Main Street USA
I personally think the SM queue is the coolest part of the attraction. Walking in and out is the best!

I love than "moving sidewalk?" at the end with all those robotic dioramas that are a commercial for FedEx. Yep, its commericalism, but it provides a nice "re-entry" into the park. Very soothing. Just step on and away you go! It gives your legs some time to readjust from their wobbly state.

HeritageBoy

For the first time rider, take the right line

Just an FYI to first timers (and to answer your question)...a well-known fact about SM is that the two sides are not completely identical...the Left is called Alpha and the Right, Beta (some call it Omega, but its left nonetheless).
Now, just so theres no confusing here, by "left" and "right" I mean the two paths you can take at the end of the main q for space mountain (or where they take your fastpasses).

ANYWAY, my point is that the track's main drop on the right is shallower than that on the left. So for your first time, its nice just to get the thrill of the drop, but not TOO much - that comes later!
I used to ride SM every day before work (and I've ridden it with the lights on to confirm what I've told you), so its still an all-time fav for me. Trust me, ask to go right the first time, and build up to the Left side from there.

Also- thrill seekers, SM is done best (1) at the end of the day, or E-ride night (2) on the left side, though it closes in low traffic situations and (3) in seat 4 or 5, namely the back car for speed, and the front for the sensation of flying.

"Space shuttle, this is flight safety..."

ENJOY!!!
:sohappy: :wave:

HeritageBoy

For the first time, sit on the right in either seat 2 or seat 3...they are usually have the least amount of bumping around and you'll feel less of the drops. Enjoy!

CDS Disney

Originally posted by Katherine
I'm not a really big thrill seaker(big drops make mepee me pants!), I want to go on Space Mountain but I don't know if it's for me. I love mouse rides but big drops scare me to death! If anyone can give me info on how THRILLING Sp. Mt. is that would be great!
Im with you on the pants wetting thing :lol: BUT I love space mountian its not bad at all. The biggest thing is being in the dark and the lighting makes things seem a little different.

Remember if you get scaired just yell it makes all the difference!

Katherine

Original Poster
Re: Re: Space Mountain?

Originally posted by CDS Disney
Im with you on the pants wetting thing :lol: BUT I love space mountian its not bad at all. The biggest thing is being in the dark and the lighting makes things seem a little different.

Remember if you get scaired just yell it makes all the difference!
I'll definantly be screaming! And I can scream LOUD!:lol:

BigNorm

If you're nervous about Space Mountain, ride the TTA first, it'll give you a good idea of what's in store on the actual coaster as well as the line inside the building.

Scar Junior

I'll admit it... I was afraid to go on Space Mountain at first (but then again I was 5, and 8). I didn't get back to WDW til I was 10...then it was no problem and I make sure I ride it at least 4 times each trip. Last spring break (during easter week) I rode it 9 times! Two or three nights about 11:30 you can get in and out and can ride several times. Also did it first thing on a monday morning! Nothin scary here- just another classic.

Bairstow

It's a fun ride, and well worth it for the theming of the queue and exit areas alone. There are lots of cool lighting effects, a funny faux TV station loop on monitors, and an animatronic or two on the way out. If you can stand Big Thunder Railroad you can definitely take Space Mountain's right track, and the left one is only a bit more intense. If you like Space Mountain and find that you had nothing to be afraid of, you might even want to give Rock n' Rollercoaster a chance. I've found that most people who are terrified of roller coasters actually love them, they just haven't realized it yet. :)

Elaine

Space Mountain

I've read all of your descriptions of Space Mountain and hate to ask more about it ....BUT....is it anything like Body Wars or the Dino ride. We hate both of them because they jerk you around so much that you can't even see what you're there to see. I'd be happy with no thrill rides in WDW. We've been to WDW 23 times and never considered going on SM. I'm very curious about it.

roysta123

space mountain is nothing like Dinosaur. It is not jerky. There are sharp turns but they are very smooth and it is not bumpy at all. The right track is slightly less thrilling because one of it's dips are shorter. SM only goes about 25 miles per hour. The lights just make you think that you are going really fast but the effect doesn't work very well. Compared to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, it goes even slower than that.:king:

jcrb

Get Fast Pass if you go on it – and make sure you go to left side of the line when the person takes you Fast Pass. – I been on it a thousand time and the left is better.

CoraJack

Account Suspended
I don't think Space Mountain is very "scary"...but I think it's too bumpy! The difference from last year to this year was really quite amazing. We rode it twice (both sides) and sat in the front and rear car. The rear is definately bumpier than the front. But overall I feel that it was very rough and I got off with a headache. Never happened to me before. Maybe we need some refurb here?

Christina

Hurricane

They can make SM faster or slower depending upon the amount of click thru braking. When I went to grad nite 2001 they had the click thrus completely turned off making for a MUCH faster ride (might have even reached the claimed speed on the wed-way instead of the standard 29 mph)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom